Talk

Advanced search

What kind of childcare do I need and where do I get it?

(17 Posts)
watchingitallagain Mon 19-Jun-17 21:46:32

I'm due to have my third DC at the end of July. The first two are 5 and 2. I'm suffering with pelvic pain and have a huge bump. The recent two week holidays have been hard work. Both DC are generally good, usually well behaved kids. DC1 is in reception and DC2 goes to the school nursery for a few mornings every week.

We were severely limited what we could do during the holidays. Both DC were getting bored and spent far too long watching screens. They fall out and end up fighting and I know it's because they're bored!

School is due to break up a week before I am booked in for a c section. I'm going to have six weeks of school holidays where I'm either going to be very heavily pregnant (and possibly not very mobile) and then recovering from major abdominal surgery and unable to drive. My husband is self employed and is unable to take paternity leave. He'll be around at weekend. My mum is a fantastic help but works. She can help me two days a week.

That leaves me with three days a week of dealing with a newborn, post caesarean and two bored, squabbling kids. I could do with someone coming to help me over the school holidays. Taking the older two on day trips out- doesn't have to be anywhere fancy, even a walk to the park helps! Maybe a few trips to local attractions so they feel like they've had school holidays. Making sure they're fed/clean would be useful too. wink

What's this kind of childcare called? Does it exist? And if it does, how do I go about finding someone?

Sorry if I've missed any huge details. Really struggling to think straight in this heat!

watchingitallagain Mon 19-Jun-17 23:06:42

Anyone?
I'm sorry it's a boring one. grin

Want2bSupermum Mon 19-Jun-17 23:12:16

I was in your shoes.

Food purchased online. Tip the delivery person to carry stuff to your kitchen.

Talk to friends now and arrange play dates where they come to you and the other parent stays. Anyone with more than one child understands but you need to be very upfront about what you are asking for.

Get some books and art activities. The sticky mosaics saved me. Kids did them with no help from me!

hoopdeloop Mon 19-Jun-17 23:13:01

Can you check in with the school to see if anyone is running any type of 'holiday camp'. I'm a teacher and I've given out a few leaflets to kids that have been handed in about different places.
also our local sports centre/ swimming pool runs a camp type thing

Want2bSupermum Mon 19-Jun-17 23:13:11

I also had a pharmacy who delivered to me and joined Amazon prime.

Want2bSupermum Mon 19-Jun-17 23:14:31

hoop it was so hard for me to get further than a 5 min walk in the first two weeks after delivery. The camps are great but only if they have pick up. Where I am those camps are insanely expensive.

HamletsSister Mon 19-Jun-17 23:21:33

What about a local older teenager? You will be in the house but someone to take them to the park or supervise them in the garden. We had this for a while and it was brilliant. Someone studying at a local college?

watchingitallagain Mon 19-Jun-17 23:24:23

Thanks for thoughts. There are holiday camps locally that the eldest could attend but someone would have to drive her there. Youngest couldn't go because he's too little. If anything, he's more of a handful ATM.

I wish I didn't have to have a section. It'll be my third section and I really struggled with the second one. I'm scared I'm not safe on my own. DH knows he's letting the side down and is happy to pay for some help- we just don't know what it's called or where to find it?

I have a group of friends with similar aged kids that would visit us. It would only ever be the odd hour here or there though.

Is there such thing as a temporary nanny? I wonder if I should just advertise locally and see if I get anywhere....

watchingitallagain Mon 19-Jun-17 23:25:11

Local college would be a fab idea! Not thought about that one!

RNBrie Mon 19-Jun-17 23:30:30

You have lots of options!! An au pair for the summer would be perfect and they are easy to find for just the summer hols. This will be your cheapest option but means you have to have someone living in.

Do you have a university near you? They'll be plenty of students looking for summer work. See if there is a childcare course and email the head of department asking them to circulate your job description. Our local uni is known for their sports science and the students there have coordinated themselves into a proper organisation for this exact purpose. Its very handy!!

You might find that some local teaching assistants would like to supplement their income - although around here they all work at the summer clubs so that might not work.

Stick an ad on your local Facebook selling sites and I am sure you'll get interest.

NoSquirrels Tue 20-Jun-17 00:02:13

Pretty sure you want a "mother's help" - someone to be flexible about occupying small people in the house or at the park, maybe a bit of baby cwtching while you occupy small people, help with meal prep and light household tasks.

If you advertise on something like childcare.co.uk you should get an idea of who might be around - but also depending on area ads in newsagents/church halls etc?

Anyway, "mother's help" is how I'd search.

Cakescakescakes Tue 20-Jun-17 00:10:17

I was also going to say 'mother's help'. It's quite a general role so sounds perfect.

watchingitallagain Tue 20-Jun-17 00:17:41

Thanks guys. I've got some ideas to work with there. All very helpful.

Want2bSupermum Tue 20-Jun-17 02:09:35

OP - for the sticky mosaics, get the felt ones as they are easier for your younger child to use. I got them on Amazon. I removed the backing paper also making it super easy for my middle DC.

My good friends came over with dinner for me and the kids. I was so so thankful.

hoopdeloop Tue 20-Jun-17 06:50:15

Sorry, i forgot you said you were having a section and didn't factor in the recovery time flowers

watchingitallagain Tue 20-Jun-17 09:14:01

I'll certainly stock up with some mosaic stuff. DC2 loves anything like that. DC2 would just stick them all over his face confused He'd still be having fun though so I don't care!

Want2bSupermum Wed 21-Jun-17 00:05:27

The felt ones peel off really easily. The sticker ones not so much! Learned the hard way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now