loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much childcare for DC1 when on mat leave with DC2

(15 Posts)
blossombottom Sat 17-Jun-17 23:13:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

northdownmummy Sat 17-Jun-17 23:23:22

I dropped to 3 days, she was in nursery Tue,Wed,Thurs. I think that was right number of day but should maybe have broken them up. Sometimes 4d in a row juggling 2, when my husband was studying over the weekend was tough.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 17-Jun-17 23:24:59

How old is DC1?

NapQueen Sat 17-Jun-17 23:25:43

Dd went to the CMs two days a week from me being off work from about 32 weeks. She continued until I went back to work when dc2 was 6mo then they were both with cm ft.

Muddlingalongalone Sat 17-Jun-17 23:30:36

I left dd1 in full-time - she wasn't far off starting school, loved nursery & was still getting childcare vouchers
She did much shorter days though (mostly unless Dd2 was having a mare)

blossombottom Sun 18-Jun-17 00:12:26

Zebrasinpyjamas Sun 18-Jun-17 06:46:38

Dc1 was already in nursery 4days a week. I dropped down to 3 days when dc2was about 4 months. 3 days felt about right for giving me a relative break and one on one time with the baby while maintaining dc1's routine/fun. Also I didn't want to lose my place at nursery so I wouldn't have withdrawn him.
3days felt a good balance as long as you can afford it.
I struggled at the beginning though and wished Dc1 was in nursery full time. Luckily things got better!!

Orangedaisy Sun 18-Jun-17 06:52:01

DD1 (3, just) was on 2 full days at nursery before baby arrived and DP has one weekday and all weekend off a week. We kept this the same when DD2 came and have been happy with it.

Digestive28 Sun 18-Jun-17 06:54:02

We stopped altogether, had in for first couple of weeks but it just wasn't working for her/us and much happier once pulled out. Reintroducing two mornings about a month before I returned to work. I was unusual though, most friends still had older child in childcare. Does mean, due to vouchers saved up, hit of childcare bill on return to work is much more manageable. Do what suits but don't panic about changing your mind

CupOfTeaAndAGoodBook Sun 18-Jun-17 06:56:30

Mon-Fri, I had DC1 in two days FT (9-5) childcare, and the remaining 3 days she did 12-3 at nursery. It was what she'd already been doing pre-DC2 and it seemed best to stay consistent. And all her childcare was really really good, so she was getting all her "fun" from there and didn't mind doing much more sedate and boring shopping/reading/quiet activities with me.

jennymac31 Sun 18-Jun-17 07:13:52

I'm pretty much doing the same as muddlingalongalone in that dd is still at nursery f/t as she'll be starting school in September so wanted to keep the routine going plus she really enjoys nursery.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Sun 18-Jun-17 07:40:55

We have DS2 arriving in September and DS1 has been 5 mornings as I work each morning. We are moving hilmto two full days but when the baby arrives probably 4 full days for 6 weeks or so as I'll have another CS and won't be able to physically cope well w two of them.

Acorncat Sun 18-Jun-17 11:01:55

I kept the same 3 full days for the first 7 weeks then dropping to 3 half days. I'd keep the full days if I could justify the cost. My DS loves nursery, it would be different if he didn't want to go.

Josieannathe2nd Sun 18-Jun-17 11:11:18

I didn't use any childcare on my second mat leave. It was a long 9 months till he started at school but we did settle into our own rhythm. And 2-3 year olds are fun for taking to parks/farms/meeting friends and baby just came along too.
Third maternity leave I've had one in school FT, and put 3 year old in playgroup 3 mornings a week, which has been nice. But I'm not WFH or anything at all so it works for us. It's been lovely being able to go to all the stuff on at school, pick up every day and I feel like its been helpful for my two older ones to have me around more, before I go back to work next year.

blossombottom Sun 18-Jun-17 21:32:41

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now