Talk

Advanced search

Any tips about a nanny housekeeper?

(10 Posts)
HeyCat Thu 01-Jun-17 17:44:41

We've decided to hire a nanny housekeeper- any experience/advice about best agencies (we're in London) , what to look for, what to expect etc?

nannynick Thu 01-Jun-17 19:05:50

Generally someone is great with children or great with housework, they are often not great at both. So decide which you would settle for not being so great... are you wanting more a housekeeper or more a nanny. Then select people for interview based on which they are better at.

HeyCat Thu 01-Jun-17 20:45:44

Thanks and yes that's what I suspected.

In our case I'll be at home as well, so I'll take the lead on all decisions and activities for DCs. The nanny just needs to entertain them for part of the day, not be responsible for all their care. So I'd guess housekeeping is wctually mlre important for us so long as they can do the basic nanny stuff.

MMXV Fri 02-Jun-17 12:02:06

No, other way round. Anyone can clean a house (even if it's not up to your usual standards) but very few people can look after a child that isn't theirs. The downside risk of employing a crap nanny is much, much worse than the downside risk of employing a crap housekeeper.

LapinR0se Fri 02-Jun-17 12:03:21

I did this and found the children only wanted me so I ended up with a very expensive full time housekeeper, an immaculately clean house, but no child-free time.
So now I have a cleaner an an au pair and it works much better.

YoureNotASausage Fri 02-Jun-17 12:12:49

I have one and she's brill at both. I would say though she was hired as a nanny and that is the best starting point for you I think. Tell her that you need a nanny and what he's she's expected to be sole charge of the kids, then whatever house stuff she can do after that or if you want to split out specific time each day where you take the kids and she focuses on the house that might work.

MMXV Fri 02-Jun-17 12:46:28

Another thing - IME of living in London, the only people who are willing to do this are Filipinas. Fine if you want a Filipina nanny, but not everyone does.

Fantasticmissfoxy Fri 02-Jun-17 12:54:13

Greycoats are a very good domestic agency - have used them for clients on a number of occasions and they usually have very high caliber candidates.

HeyCat Fri 02-Jun-17 19:22:05

MMXV - housekeeping isn't just cleaning, its meal planning, groceries, cooking for the family, tidying, organising as well. So I don't think anybody can do it - I certainly can't! We won't hire somebody we don't trust as a nanny, but really they'll just be eg taking kids to playgroup or the park for a couple of hours, they won't be fully in charge of activities and development like they would be if I was away in work.

LapinRose - I was worried about that, but we've had an ad hoc nanny the last few months and kids have got used to playing with her while I have a rest etc so hopefully we'll be ok.

HeyCat Fri 02-Jun-17 19:23:13

MMXV - no particular preference on ethnicity - we've had applications from Europeans so far.

Fantasticmissfoxy - thanks I'll try them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »