Talk

Advanced search

Childcare options - need to work

(10 Posts)
DoIKnowWhatImDoing Thu 18-May-17 13:40:04

Hey everyone hope you are well. I wanted to get some advice on work options and what people do for childcare.

I have 2 kids - 2yr old DD and a 5 month old DS and married. My husband works full time & I'm a full time mum. I used to work full time and planned to return to work when my DD turned 2 but in that time I fell pregnant unexpectedly and had to resign (their was new manager at work who was a right cow and wouldn't allow me to return) My DD hasn't started nursery yet ( been too lazy been too preoccupied finding my feet with a toddler and newborn to look) I don't want to send my son to nursery before he turns 18 months at least so while I will hopefully have DD in a nursery, I don't know what I would do with DS while I find work. We currently cannot afford to send both kids to nursery on one wage and I am really wanting to go back to work... not only for my independence sanity, but also for money too oh how it would be nice to buy a pair of shoes. any advice and suggestions would be gratefully received.

wickerlampshade Thu 18-May-17 13:42:55

For a start, what your husband earns is shared money. Does he have plenty of cash while you can't afford shoes? That's financial abuse.

DoIKnowWhatImDoing Thu 18-May-17 13:49:18

no not at all. What i mean is it would be nice to earn my own. Our money is spent on the kids etc

Alexandra87 Thu 18-May-17 13:59:13

There's a site online you an put in your details and it tells you if you are entitled to help with childcare. I'd start there.

RestingBitch Thu 18-May-17 14:01:07

Have you considered going back to work and working evenings? I do this and it was the most cost effective way. I drop PFB off at the childminders at 3, start work at 4. PFB's dad collects him just after 5, and does bedtime routine and I finish work at 8. It's not prefect but means I can have extra cash for whatever I fancy smile. Also means I don't pay my entire wage to nursery etc.

ICantDecideOnAUsername Thu 18-May-17 14:18:04

pregnant unexpectedly and had to resign (their was new manager at work who was a right cow and wouldn't allow me to return)

Are you saying that she wouldn't let you go back to work after maternity leave? I'm pretty sure that is illegal and I would get advice for constructive dismissal. I'm sure they'll be someone else along soon who knows more than me.

DoIKnowWhatImDoing Thu 18-May-17 15:53:05

I worked in a nursery and her argument was that it would disrupt the kids if I returned for a few months to only go on leave again. It was all said over the phone so I had no proof.

nannynick Thu 18-May-17 19:32:56

What work would you want to do - what are you passionate about?

You mention nursery work but is that something you want to go back to, or are there other things that you could do? Is there something you can do from home?

DoIKnowWhatImDoing Thu 18-May-17 22:07:35

Well I love working with kids but the pay isn't great. It would not make sense financially for me to work to just be paying for childcare. I'd be open to work from home but I'm not sure what I could do.

nannynick Thu 18-May-17 23:21:24

Is childminding something you would look at? Possibly before and after
school care?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now