Talk

Advanced search

Nanny share/childminder for three families?

(15 Posts)
MsProbably Wed 17-May-17 18:47:40

I'm looking into the possibility of sharing childcare with two friends of our year-old girls. As I understand it, it's against the childcare act for 3 families to nanny share. But, I'm sure there must be a way round it...
Would this be hiring our own childminder or nursery teacher and, in effect, set up a sort of private home school? We'd still happily rotate homes among us and could offer a salary of around £35k. Has this ever been tried before?

Snap8TheCat Wed 17-May-17 21:40:08

Well a childminder is someone who works in their own home, is that what you are after?

NapQueen Wed 17-May-17 21:42:43

I think it would be challenging to find a Childminder (in their own home) who
1 - has availability for three under three
2 - wouldnt also have other mindees of school age
3 - would have (you would then need to buy) a triple buggy
4 - would be able to fit three infant carseats in their car

Snap8TheCat Wed 17-May-17 21:43:11

Just a few points I'll add

It's very hard work caring for three 1 year olds, do you have someone in mind?
How would you transport all the equipment to your three homes ?
How will you organise holidays?
What about parenting styles?
It's not really the sort of age a teacher would be interested in I don't think?
Why is it so important that you all use the same provider?

MsProbably Thu 18-May-17 07:47:43

We don't have someone in mind - we'd want to advertise but I'm just trying to find out what sort of qualifications they'd need and rules we'd have to adhere to.

Our ideal would be, like a nanny share, to rotate between our three homes each month. We live nearby so wouldn't be too difficult. Each month we'd transport equipment (high chairs, triple buggy etc).

Since we'd pay the same as a childminder looking after 5 children I'd have thought it were possible... almost a mini home school.

Unlike with a childminder, they'd be a lower child:adult ratio, no mixed ages and they'd be able to leave the house (*just*) with three kids, at least to the park...

Snap8TheCat Thu 18-May-17 07:50:33

That's not smaller ratios than a childminder, they/we can only have 3 early years children too. Currently I have a 4.5, 3.0 and 1.8. Infinitely earlier than the times when I've had three barely/non walkers.

NapQueen Thu 18-May-17 07:52:15

But if its against the childcare act then no it wont work. Because its against the rules.

Snap8TheCat Thu 18-May-17 07:52:59

And not sure what you mean by and they'd be able to leave the house with three kids I leave the house every day with all my mindees. Not sure why that's different. Harder with a triple buggy and what about ensuring they have a large enough car to accommodate three car seats?.

mayoli Thu 18-May-17 07:55:59

I'm a nanny and I've been asked about doing this before. It's pretty much impossible- even if the nanny is self-employed it's illegal and it's not worth the risk. Hiring a childminder wouldn't work either because it'd be a totally different setup sad

lapetitesiren Thu 18-May-17 07:56:52

I don't think a nanny would be allowed to care for 3 that young sole charge. Adult /child ratios can be seen online (pacey/gov.uk etc).

MsProbably Thu 18-May-17 09:01:06

Ah, I think I misunderstood the childminder ratios, sorry. That explains leaving the house too.

Thanks for the help. The answer that it's practically impossible is fairly conclusive but I guess the only other question I have is if there's an option between nanny (illegal to have 3 families) and childminder (works in own home, unlikely to have spaces). Say, an early years teacher or something?

primaryboodle Thu 18-May-17 09:12:33

Not sure about legalities of a nanny but my childminder by chance has 3 babies - 15mths, 15 mths and 10 mths (my dd). She seems to manage okay and then has her 5yo after school too. Is there a reason all 3 need to be together? Or is it just an ideal situation for you parents involved? May end up being less complex for you to all sort your own childminders in the end

MsProbably Thu 18-May-17 09:28:02

It would be nice to do it together but realising it might not be possible! Oh well!

memememe Thu 18-May-17 11:00:40

you might find a new childminder who is just setting up who can take on all 3, im in that situation and it would be something id be happy to consider.

jannier Wed 24-May-17 22:49:38

Curious why do you want a single age range? Children develop really well by having older role models both in physical skills and in language and Its also really hard to supervise 3 one year olds at a park you I can see 2 baby's are likely to be sat in the pram.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now