Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Did having an epidural hurt?

(20 Posts)
BibiTwo Wed 17-Aug-05 08:51:55

I had one with dd, but I was so delirious with pain I cannot remember if it hurt or how much. I remember the anaesthetist (sp?) telling me over and over to keep very still and I know I had a lignacane (sp?) injection first.
Also my whole body twitched twice, involuntarily, which was frightening. Did this happen to anyone else?

basically I just want reassurance from people who remember the process because I'm having another baby and will be having a c-section. Thanks

lunavix Wed 17-Aug-05 08:54:10

My body twitched but I twitch whenever anyone touches my lower back.

I don't think it hurt anymore than a normal injection (aside from slightly bigger needle) and tbh after 30 odd hours of labour I was just happy to have it in!

Lizzylou Wed 17-Aug-05 09:04:22

I had no problems at all with the epidural, no twitching or anything. I agree with Lunavix tho, after howver many hours of labour, I really didn't care and I can honestly say it didn't hurt me at all!
Good luck, you will be fine!

ks Wed 17-Aug-05 09:04:34

Message withdrawn

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 17-Aug-05 09:05:15

nope - no pian - gas and air saw to that!

BibiTwo Wed 17-Aug-05 09:12:46

Do you think witha planned section they'll let me have gas and air for th epidural? Or will it ba a spinal block? Are they the same thing? I am clueless.

BibiTwo Wed 17-Aug-05 09:13:01

I am also cr*p at typing

Kelly1978 Wed 17-Aug-05 09:15:09

I was dreading mine, don't mind needles, but it was the thoguht of where it was goin. They did numb it first though, and when they first tired I could feel it going it and it stung slightly so I told them and they numbed it a bit more, and I didn't feel a thing. If I was going to ahev another bab, would def have one again even if I didn't have section.

Gizmo Wed 17-Aug-05 09:15:35

I'm afraid it did but that was because I was being made to sit still through contractions and told not to push when I really wanted too (I had a 'lip' on the cervix that wouldn't go back). So it shouldn't be a problem in a planned c-section.

IIRC, the anaestheologist took 4 tries to place the epidural. When it worked though, the sleep was bliss....

Oh, and do you know how proud I am of myself for typing 'anaestheologist' - there, look! I did it again!

acnebride Wed 17-Aug-05 09:16:04

I had a spinal block for stitching. I'd heard that epidurals were painful when inserted, so asked the anaesthetist in a voice of doom how much it would hurt. I can't remember exactly what she said now, but the gist was 'don't worry' and she was right, it was very very mild, probably one of the least painful injections I've ever had. Medical techniques do advance, and I think possibly epidurals used to be more painful than they are now? That's a guess though.

Kelly1978 Wed 17-Aug-05 09:16:06

a spinal block is the epidural. They should numb the area first though.

vickiyumyum Wed 17-Aug-05 09:23:48

with a c-section you normally have a spinal block if its elective. a spinal block is basically the same as an epidural but just one dose you don't have a catheter to top up a spinal block.

It doesn't hurt, they inject loads of local anesthetic into the area, this can sting a little bit when its going in, but thats all. and then its just a case of satying still while they put the spinal in. there is only one point where you have to be reallyreally still and the aneathetist usually tells you when. If you feel the need to move or twitch just tell them and they can ussually pause for a while to let you move.

I've had 2 spinals/epidurals for c-sections and have seen loads done as a student midwife.

expatinscotland Wed 17-Aug-05 09:28:14

Spinal blocks are different from epidurals, as vicky pointed out. A spinal block doesn't involve inserting a catheter. It's one injection to numb the area, and another to do the block. Then your bottom half literally becomes paralysed - very, very quickly.

Epidural of course involves an injection to numb the area, then insertion of a catheter - numbing drugs can be topped up.

I've had both. When I was not pregnant and not having painful contractions, the numbing injection hurt. But the pain of contractions sort of cancelled it out whilst I was having one in labour.

morningpaper Wed 17-Aug-05 09:29:47

Didn't feel the epidural at all (or the dreaded "internal exams" either). I think there are so many endorphins at that stage that you don't feel things that you would feel under 'normal' circumstances.

hub2dee Wed 17-Aug-05 10:00:42

dw had an epi for her c-s (at least, I don't think it was a spinal, but I may be wrong). She found it very painful, but 100% effective for the op. I couldn't bear seeing her in so much pain, so I thought it would be useful to pass out on the pre-op floor (no joking), but I came around very quickly as was still there to do Offical Event Photography, LOL.

The guy doing it was a consultant anaestheologist and I get the impression from reading various birth stories on MN and elsewhere that sometimes it hurts and sometimes it doesn't.

dw also got the twitches / shakes as you describe and these endured for the op too. Apparently that sometimes happens.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear - but it can be like this. The way I see it, if you know what to expect sometimes it doesn't feel as bad / scary - certainly I know dw would have preferred to have been warned it wasn't always all 'roses' IYSWIM.

HTH

highlander Wed 17-Aug-05 14:08:12

I had a spinal for a CS. it wasn't sore, but they had to guide the needle in by direct contact with my vertebra, so I got really wierd tingly nerve sensation down that side into my pelvis. it was an elective so they really took their time.

Bliss........ highly recommended.

starlover Wed 17-Aug-05 14:09:53

didn't feel it at all.
i had 2 because the first one didn't work.

orangina Wed 17-Aug-05 14:23:09

I was in so much pain after 18 hours of contractions that frankly the epidural was a relative walk in the park (and this is from someone who really didn't want one and is crap with needles anyway....). BUT, I recognise that your case is a bit different, if you are having a c-s. I was on the gas and air too (and in fact would not let it out of my claw-like hand for at least 2 hoursw AFTER dd was born and I was stiched up, just in case!). Good luck

madmarchhare Wed 17-Aug-05 14:25:02

A tad uncomfy but nothing in the scheme of things.

Charlee Wed 17-Aug-05 14:47:16

No mine was fine, they froze my back first and then i couldnt feel a thing so was able to enjoy my labour to the full extent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now