Talk

Advanced search

pls help me avoid and induction!

(49 Posts)
MissChief Wed 10-Aug-05 12:20:41

help - got 2 days to do things naturally - had a show last night, nothing since! quite strong BH for past few days but have never come to anything. Am doing/have done the following:

rasp tea
curry
sex!
acupressure points
clary sage
walking lots
pelvic rocking
stretch & sweep

am about to buy a pineapple too

any other magic tips you swear by?

Springchicken Wed 10-Aug-05 12:23:22

Be careful with the pineapple! I ate 1 a day for the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy. It gives you an extremely sore tongue and in the end puts you off it even if you love it. And to top it all of DD was a week late

Sorry, i know that doens't help!

I brought a bottle of castor oil but chickened out of using it once i'd smelt it. may aswell down a pint of Crisp n Dry EEUURRKK!

PeachyClair Wed 10-Aug-05 12:26:12

The raspberry tea didnt help me, but Holland and Barratt raspberry lef capsules (and perhaps the walk tehre?) did the trick.

Mum swears I am a third generation rhubarb induction, it didnt work for me but I probably didnt eat enough.

MissChief Wed 10-Aug-05 12:29:27

wow, rhubarb & castor oil to add to the list!
can but try, I guess..anything is worth it at this stage!

PeachyClair Wed 10-Aug-05 12:30:37

Castor oil- hmmm- I heard that it gives you bad diarrohoea even if sdoesnt kick off the baby?

jamiesam Wed 10-Aug-05 12:33:20

I think it's a similar principle to curry - induce mild indigestion, give everything in side you a good rumage!

ninah Wed 10-Aug-05 12:35:10

I tried everything but couldn't face the castor oil either

champs Wed 10-Aug-05 12:35:20

wouldn't recomend the castor oil, dangerous, gives direa. I too found pineapple made my mouth sore.
My late grandma told me to eat okra if that helps, also meant to help baby slide out.

Walking is also a good one but be careful you dont make yourself over tired.

franke Wed 10-Aug-05 12:36:55

Isn't it squaw vine tea? Rasp leaf preps the uterus, doesn't actually bring on labour iirc

Also don't do castor oil - it's really revolting and all it does is give you the squits which may or may not trigger labour.

I think your list is pretty good - acupressure points can be very effective, or even an acupuncture session if it's not too late now (worked for me)

Someone told me walking wonkily is s good one - sideways up and down stairs or with one fott on the pavement and one on the road! But beware, I did this and just tired myself out - when I finally went into labour I was knackered

PeachyClair Wed 10-Aug-05 12:39:14

Actually would recommend reflexology- I had that- if it doesnt work you'll feel sooooo much more relaxed about it!

MissChief Wed 10-Aug-05 12:42:33

have tried reflexology - nice but not sure if works for me.
squaw vine tea - can I get that from healthfood shops then?

spacecadet Wed 10-Aug-05 12:43:16

gentle nipple twiddling.

astonished Wed 10-Aug-05 12:51:59

Try and relax baby will come when ready, I know its hard, i was the same tried everything, even Goldenseal which was vile tasting and did nothing. Try visualisation, do you feel relaxed about the birth are there any emotional issues to explore?? Also i would suggest some excercise, although gentle obviously!! Good Luck and look forward to reading your birth story soon x

astonished Wed 10-Aug-05 12:56:38

Sorry one more thing, if you don't want to be induced you don't have to be, aslong as you are monitored daily you could push to wait a bit longer. I know of women who have given birth at 43 and 44 weeks, sometimes gestation isn't the opn close book, that we are led to bel;iev with a two week window. Perhaps have a look at the AIMS website and see what your rights are, but I'm sure with monitoring you could hold out for a few more days, although it depends on how flexible your midwives/consultants are prepared to be. Good Luck xx

rubles Wed 10-Aug-05 13:12:43

I am a massive believer in the power of the mind in these things. That is to say using a bit of meditation and time alone to relax and focus on your baby and what s/he will look like ...think about your cervix softening and dilating...make a nest for yourself and enjoy relaxing and breathing deeply and really truly chill out and tell your body you are ready. Make sure you don't have anything on your mind - no worries or tasks hanging over you - delegate all responsibility for everything to everyone else - you just focus on yourself. Is this your first? If not then get childcare sorted and then don't get panicky thinking that "it has to come now, it has to come now". Try and be postitive and to just enjoy the space.

My sister went to 40 +19 and tried everything apart from castor oil. She was running around doing everything as normal, getting v.v.v. stressed at how overdue she was. It seemed that what made the difference for her was letting go of all the day to day tasks and worries - making sure someone else had responsibility for her two dds and having loads of time to herself to relax and really tell her body that she was ready. After walking lots early in the morning she went up to her room and lay on the bed and was deemed non-contactable. It did seem at the time that this was what made the difference because she started labour in the afternoon. I don't know if this sounds too hippy for you, but I do think that the mind is an incredibly powerful part of childbirth. That is why you get tales of women who don't start labour until their other kiddies have gone to bed, or until their partner is back from a work trip abroad ie until they are comfortable.
In my case I was absolutely sure I would go to 40 +4 and I did. I was studying for an exam and finished the revision deliberately at 40 +3 then spent the day stocking up the cupboard and getting a spray-on tan and pedicure for the post birth pictures (!) and then gave birth the next day. My midwife said she thought I was a witch, I think that I had convinced myself so completely that it was almost like self-hypnosis.

Catbert Wed 10-Aug-05 13:20:03

If the baby's head is far down, the trick is to get it banging on the cervix as much as poss as this triggers the hormonal release which starts labour.

Stomp (and I mean vigourously) up and down the stairs sideways (the pelvis being moved in this way can "rub" the baby's head and encourage it to wiggle further down)

Bounce madly on a birthing ball. For ages.

Any walking must be done briskly!

Oral sex (according to my M/W!!!) the prostaglandin in semen is (and I quote her) "more helpful ingested than applied IYKWIM"

he he...

I did all of the above (ahem) to avoid induction cause the sweep had caused my hind waters to rupture with no labour. Spent a day bouncing, walking and stomping madly. Labour came on thick and fast and I delivered in under 5 hours from beginning to end (in fact dilated 5cm in 45 mins), because I did not stop going once labour established.

Apparently it's an "active" birth - but I did not know this previously!! GOOD LUCK!

Catbert Wed 10-Aug-05 13:21:51

You know, in hindsight - it's all rather hard work. Upon reflection - perhaps I would rather Rubles spray tan and chill approach!!!

Kiwifruit Wed 10-Aug-05 13:43:30

Catbert - hope my DH doesn't read this thread, he'll think all his Christmases have come at once

leahbump Wed 10-Aug-05 19:16:21

Hi Miaou,

I really hope you get going soon. I have tried reflexology (which seems good for me on most things) to no avail!

Someone mentioned Goldenseal- which I am about to try. My problem is not having contractions but keeping them going as they start get regular then slow down and stop! Golden seal is Oxytocic and might just help strengthen my contractions and keep them going. SInce I have been having episodes every night since thursday I desperately want to try something!
Anyway- if you want to know more just ask.......if it works I'll let you know!

I'm due today btw!

Labour vibes to you!!

PS- I have consulted a qualified person regarding doses for this herb etc etc!

steffee Wed 10-Aug-05 19:24:44

Really strong coffee!!

I swear that works, I too tried everything with ds2 and none of it worked. DH made me a cup of the strongest filter coffee you can get (level 5 in co-op) and waters burst a couple hours later, 4hr labour and so easy. Totally unlike previous two pgs. And baby was fine, too, before you worry that he might have upset tummy (castor oil doesn't work and gives the baby upset tummy, stay away from it).

pjsmum Wed 10-Aug-05 19:35:37

I went for a long walk ( round the shopping centre!) had an unbearably hot curry and pineapple. Waters broke the early hours of the morning. Hope whatever you try work

MissChief Thu 11-Aug-05 09:27:28

still hanging in there despite (nausea-making) combination of various methods..trying to stay calm and relaxed though!

Nemo1977 Thu 11-Aug-05 09:59:43

I am also another who tried everything when having ds and was still induced 15 days over..to be honest the induction wasnt that bad for me personally. Although I dont mind if i have to be induced wiht db would prefer to go a bit earlier ..lol

Springchicken Thu 11-Aug-05 10:27:25

And even if the castor oil does kick the labour off you really don't want to be having the squits whilst pushing!

UERKK!

MissChief Thu 11-Aug-05 10:29:44

esp not for waterbirth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now