Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Are you more likely to tear if you have a "back labour"?

(11 Posts)
hunkermunker Sun 31-Jul-05 17:55:02

??

neednewpants Sun 31-Jul-05 17:57:48

i did but only had one so can't compare....

hunkermunker Sun 31-Jul-05 18:00:02

Probably should have written info in the first post! LOL! DS was back-to-back and I had a second degree tear. Wondering if spending most of Nov, Dec and Jan on all fours will stop it happening again!

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 18:00:20

Had 3 posterior babies and all labours with back pain. I had an episiotomy with the first (forceps - ouch!), tore with the second, but didn't need stitched. Third was the biggest at 10lbs but I didn't tear at all.

Don't know of any link

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 18:01:15

Oh, and I did the all fours thing with no effect I'm afraid. Position in labour was the best help, I found.

Miaou Sun 31-Jul-05 18:06:10

I think if you labour in water (ie have a waterbirth) you are less likely to tear. Also you could try perinium massage (think that's right - I'll find you a link in a mo) which is also supposed to help prevent tears.

Miaou Sun 31-Jul-05 18:12:22

Close, but no cigar

This link is about avoiding an episiotomy but it tells you in there about perineal massage too.

hunkermunker Sun 31-Jul-05 18:14:18

I had a waterbirth, but DS was big, had a big head, had been poorly presented (aww) earlier in labour and arrived quickly when he was born, hence the tear, I think!

spidermama Sun 31-Jul-05 18:15:37

I've had four births, one of them a back labour, and tore with every one.
The tear with the back labour wasn't quite as bad as others, just in a different place.

Massage it and have plenty of sex if you're up for it. (I wasn't)

PeachyClair Sun 31-Jul-05 18:45:16

I had a back labour with my first birth and my second, neither they or my third delivery resulted in more than a tiny graze

motherpeculiar Sun 31-Jul-05 18:49:49

I think that even if you have a posterior presentation with a second baby it is more likely to turn during labour and so not actually be posterior at time of delivery iyswim

ime DD1 was posterior and a full back labour and I tore (she was 8lbs) DD2 was posterior but turned during labour and I didn't tear (she was quite a lot bigger too at 9-15)

Not sure about the presentation but I really believe that delivering in water with a mw who makes you stop and wait and breathe at the crucial moment can help with the tearing (lack of I mean )

good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: