Talk

Advanced search

Are you more likely to tear if you have a "back labour"?

(11 Posts)
hunkermunker Sun 31-Jul-05 17:55:02

??

neednewpants Sun 31-Jul-05 17:57:48

i did but only had one so can't compare....

hunkermunker Sun 31-Jul-05 18:00:02

Probably should have written info in the first post! LOL! DS was back-to-back and I had a second degree tear. Wondering if spending most of Nov, Dec and Jan on all fours will stop it happening again!

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 18:00:20

Had 3 posterior babies and all labours with back pain. I had an episiotomy with the first (forceps - ouch!), tore with the second, but didn't need stitched. Third was the biggest at 10lbs but I didn't tear at all.

Don't know of any link

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 18:01:15

Oh, and I did the all fours thing with no effect I'm afraid. Position in labour was the best help, I found.

Miaou Sun 31-Jul-05 18:06:10

I think if you labour in water (ie have a waterbirth) you are less likely to tear. Also you could try perinium massage (think that's right - I'll find you a link in a mo) which is also supposed to help prevent tears.

Miaou Sun 31-Jul-05 18:12:22

Close, but no cigar

This link is about avoiding an episiotomy but it tells you in there about perineal massage too.

hunkermunker Sun 31-Jul-05 18:14:18

I had a waterbirth, but DS was big, had a big head, had been poorly presented (aww) earlier in labour and arrived quickly when he was born, hence the tear, I think!

spidermama Sun 31-Jul-05 18:15:37

I've had four births, one of them a back labour, and tore with every one.
The tear with the back labour wasn't quite as bad as others, just in a different place.

Massage it and have plenty of sex if you're up for it. (I wasn't)

PeachyClair Sun 31-Jul-05 18:45:16

I had a back labour with my first birth and my second, neither they or my third delivery resulted in more than a tiny graze

motherpeculiar Sun 31-Jul-05 18:49:49

I think that even if you have a posterior presentation with a second baby it is more likely to turn during labour and so not actually be posterior at time of delivery iyswim

ime DD1 was posterior and a full back labour and I tore (she was 8lbs) DD2 was posterior but turned during labour and I didn't tear (she was quite a lot bigger too at 9-15)

Not sure about the presentation but I really believe that delivering in water with a mw who makes you stop and wait and breathe at the crucial moment can help with the tearing (lack of I mean )

good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now