Talk

Advanced search

Post-childbirth genitals and sex - was the second time as bad as the first?!

(12 Posts)
morningpaper Mon 25-Jul-05 12:47:08

After my daughter was born it was 18 months before I could have penetrative sex without pain. Wasn't an instrumental birth although I had an episiotomy.

I'm worried this might happen again. Did anyone have an easier 'recovery' from vaginal birth the second time around, or was it much the same?

Socci Mon 25-Jul-05 12:53:02

Message withdrawn

eldestgirl Mon 25-Jul-05 12:54:27

Much easier Morningpaper, but DS2 actually b/f and so didn't feel like it for ages!

oops Mon 25-Jul-05 13:03:00

Message withdrawn

morningpaper Mon 25-Jul-05 13:09:59

Aw I know just how you feel oops - I can't wait to get this baby-body OFF and get back to feeling like ME.

Thanks Socci and Eldestgirl - I shall hope for a better outcome this time!

oops Mon 25-Jul-05 18:20:38

Message withdrawn

sansouci Mon 25-Jul-05 18:23:09

For me it was a problem with desire. the idea of sex was horrifying. for up to a year (or longer ). would k-y jelly help?

bonym Mon 25-Jul-05 18:24:21

Both my births were with the aid of an epsiotomy - both times I healed well and quickly and experienced no problems (2nd time was quicker actually)

morningpaper Mon 25-Jul-05 19:49:40

I was v. keen to get back in the saddle but actually doing it was just bloody awful. Very distressing.

sassy Mon 25-Jul-05 20:24:00

mp -if i can offer a general 'down there' point (hoists Les Dawson bosom onto fence) - arnica Helped my recovery loads. Not sure about sex - dd2 now 6 mo and its just beginning to be nice again - but stiches healed loads better.

morningpaper Mon 25-Jul-05 22:21:13

Thanks sassy and LOL at your Law Dawson bosom.

I might invest in a jarful...

gingernut Mon 25-Jul-05 22:54:13

First time I had a big episiotomy and it was painful until I got pg with no.2 really (well, only `uncomfortable' by then). With no.2 I had a large tear, no episiotomy (they said it was bad and went further than the episiomoty scar but it took much less time to stitch so must have had internal stitches before). It healed much better than the episiotomy and sex hasn't been painful (not that we've done it much - too exhausted!).

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now