Talk

Advanced search

please tell me about your experiences of labouring in a birthing pool.

(118 Posts)
champs Sun 24-Jul-05 23:13:23

please

hunkermunker Sun 24-Jul-05 23:17:02

Twas lovely. Warm (felt a bit too hot to start with, but went with it as the alternative was getting out again and couldn't face that!), I was buoyant for the first time in MONTHS, and I could easily adopt any position I chose (well, within reason!). Very relaxing, felt very private, actually enjoyed giving birth!

Are you considering it? Surely you're due in a minute or two now?

bobbybob Mon 25-Jul-05 03:26:05

Same as hunker, actually I am starting to think I am hunker in a parrallel universe (without the being pg bit though!)

wishingchair Mon 25-Jul-05 13:11:37

Same here. Fab.

Never thought about the privacy of it but yes absolutely - no bits on show, no blood poo and wee particularly visible either!

Would do it again in a flash. Well, not in any rush to, but you know what I mean!

Blu Mon 25-Jul-05 13:16:16

Was in labour in a pool, didn't give birth in it.
Brilliant!
I was comfortable, didn't feel the need for pain relief, was a bit hot, DP had to keep handing me cool flannels for my face.
I knelt up in it, resting my arms over the side.

hunkermunker Mon 25-Jul-05 13:18:46

Bobbybob

Have had many "yes, what she said" moments reading your posts too! LOL!

Have you got the option of a pool at hospital/birthing centre or are you homebirthing, Champs?

bumpylump Mon 25-Jul-05 13:34:04

Fandabeedozzeee, so relaxing, was gutted when I had to be pulled out at the end as contractions slowed down. And as Hunkermunker said so private too, would definately do it again

motherinferior Mon 25-Jul-05 13:36:03

Got in at around 8 cm, writhing in pain: felt one massive contraction during which I thought 'oh bugger, it hasn't worked for pain relief at ALL', pushed three times and gave birth. Best eight minutes I ever invested in.

And I didn't feel ANY of that burny sensation of 'crowning' which I did start off having before I got in.

Do it, do it, DO IT.

champs Mon 25-Jul-05 13:43:26

thanks!!
hunkermunker -- am considering using a pool for labouring, will be in hosp.

lol@bobbybob or should that be hunkerbob

wishingchair -- thanks, was a bit worried when told to bring a sieve

Blu -- did you get out just before you gave birth? how did you know when to get out?

Did anyone use gas and air in the pool?

What did you wear?

motherinferior Mon 25-Jul-05 13:44:52

I used gas and air.

Stark naked.

moondog Mon 25-Jul-05 13:46:54

HM,did you have the baby in the pool?

Iwas in one for a few hours and found it wonderful,but got out for the diamorphine (they wont let you have it in the pool.)Definitely helped but still needed the drugs!

Champs,I didn't wear anything,either in or out of the pool. To me the idea of wearing clothes while undertaking something so...primal seemed very odd.

motherinferior Mon 25-Jul-05 13:48:55

I popped her out like a champagne cork into the midwife's waiting hands. And then sat back on the little plastic step I'd used as impromptu birthing stool, saying foolishly 'I just had a baby', with a fond grin.

champs Mon 25-Jul-05 13:51:26

bumpylump -- did you have the opportunity to get back in?

motherinferior -- lol. did you stay in the pool a bit after the birth? did you get out to deliver the placenta? was the midwife over the side when she delivered the baby??

so many questions!!

Jiz28 Mon 25-Jul-05 13:52:15

Ditto other messages... have had two births in a pool ... am convinced it made it much easier & less painful. Able to adopt most comfortable position, for me squatting, and water gave so much more support. I didn't use any other pain relief although gas & air was available, didn't wear anything. Did get messy .. but as I was pre-occupied it didn't worry or embarrass me.. midwives were excellent.

moondog Mon 25-Jul-05 13:52:26

lol at image conjured up,mi!
(When I had dd in hospital,woke in the middle of the night a few hours after having her and floated dreamily down the corridor in a maternal haze to gaze adoringly at said child (who I must admit,I had packed off to the nursery...)

Felt such an earth mother in my shalwar khameez,and only as I floated back did I realize that the entire back of it was dripping in blood which I was also decorating the hospital corridor with....

motherinferior Mon 25-Jul-05 13:55:06

Midwife was leaning over - when I got in she shoved the little plastic step underneath me so I had my bum on the seat and feet on the side of the pool so babe shot upwards IYSWIM (I'd have to draw you a pic, wouldn't I!) into her waiting hands.

Got out to deliver the placenta, which I eventually did with an injection as it was taking a bit of time.

collision Mon 25-Jul-05 13:55:19

FANTASTIC!!!

Had no pain relief options at all and the relief of getting in the water was immense.

He was born in water....just had to keep my bum down and he popped out. He lay on me for 20 mins while we bonded and cooed over him and the experience was amazing.

I was stark naked and didnt give a damn!!!!

Hope it goes well.

Jiz28 Mon 25-Jul-05 13:56:05

sorry .. also to add.... both times I did get out to deliver the placenta which was by midwife request 1st time and my choice second time.. after a cuddle with newborn whilst still in the water, shivering had kicked in. Re midwife position: 1st time to actually deliver I had to get into a certain postion for the midwife but second time (different hospital and pool size)the midwife just adapted to my position and told me what she would be doing.

Blu Mon 25-Jul-05 13:56:43

Champs: I got in about mid-labour, it was all going quite slowly, but I must have been quite advanced, I think. It was my first baby, and DS was OP. It was a big relief when I got into the pool, it felt brilliant. The bouyancy was excellent. I stayed in for ages, I think up until transition, and got out for a progress check, and felt like walking about a bit. Then I started pushing, and 3.5 hours later was still pushing, so we went to hospital for ventouse. But that was all to do with DS being OP - but in 28 hours I never felt the need of anything more than tens or pool (until we got to hopsital and I demended an epidural the minute they made me lie down!)

champs Mon 25-Jul-05 14:19:10

moondog -- first birth I had nightie on but next time round i only had my bra on, it was in the heatwave of '03 and it was boiling. this time if in the pool I will wear a tankini top or vest, my boobies are very boyant and are likely to get in midwives way what was the diamorphine like? did it make you feel disorientated? did it take all the pain away or just the edge off?

motherinferior -- it is awesome isn't it, I kept saying, "it's a baby!" and "a baby was in me!!"

lunachic Mon 25-Jul-05 14:23:01

fantastic but i was in hospital and had to get out at end which was a pity because had i stayed in she would have probably been born with her waters still intact -think she didnt come cause i didnt move about enough in pool so keeping active would be a good idea
as for clothes -naked god if your having a baby whose bothered about seeing yor titties !!!

moondog Mon 25-Jul-05 14:26:56

champs,lol at the thought of you in just your bra!
Diamorphine was great-really helped enormously with the pain. I don't think everywhere has it.It's supposed to be a vast improvement on pethidine though. Something to d owith not affecting the baby so much,I think.

champs Mon 25-Jul-05 14:31:59

wow i type slow!!

Jiz28 -- did the midwife put a towel over you and baby?

moondog -- lol!!! what area did you give birth in? I dont think hosps round here have a nursery.

motherinferior -- they do kind of shoot out dont they!! am wondering if the height of midwife will determine the possition you have to give birth in while in pool.

collision -- did you feel confident that the water would help with the pain? I am just wondering how water is such a good pain relief. many women swear by it and i want to be as open mided as poss as i do believe thats the key.

Blu -- i think lying down caused me to feel the pain more too, but once i was lying down the pain made me so scared i didn't want to get up.

lunachic Mon 25-Jul-05 14:34:03

diamorphine is pharmaceutical heroin btw

lunachic Mon 25-Jul-05 14:37:10

that wasnt intended as a funny not a judgemental btw i think that everything in your labour is your decision and NOONE has any right to judge anything
i had pethedine with my dd 20 mins before i had her cause i was scared from something the midwife said tyhart she was stuck like my ds and i panicked and asked for pain relief

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now