Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone planning a homebirth?

(60 Posts)
hunkermunker Wed 20-Jul-05 20:52:04

Thought it might be an idea to start a thread about requesting and having a homebirth - hope there isn't already one running!

I'm pregnant with my second child. My first baby was born in the water at our local hospital and (until I got to the postnatal ward) was a very straightforward and pleasant experience.

However, I have since realised how lucky I was - the labour ward wasn't busy, there was nobody in the pool, etc. Next time I might not be as lucky, so I have decided that a homebirth may well be the answer. Thinking of hiring a pool too.

So, anyone else pregnant and planning a homebirth? I think there are a couple of MNers who are (Jessicaandbumpsmummy and Sweetkitty, I think), but wondered how many!

roosmum Wed 20-Jul-05 20:55:51

hunker i'm not pg (ds only 6 mths!) but wd def think abt a homebirth next time (!)
will watch this with interest

pinkmama Wed 20-Jul-05 20:56:35

Hi Hunkermunker. I am planning a homebirth. I am 38 + 5 so hopefully anytime soon. There have been quite a few threads on homebirths, some of which might be useful for info, but I also think its nice to talk to those who are currently going through it. How many weeks are you?

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 20-Jul-05 20:57:10

considering it HM, but mainly because MW is pushing it on me!!! The epidural is still luring me towards the hospital though!!! I think the plan at the moment is to plan for hospital but stay at home as long as i can and if it happens at home, great!

hunkermunker Wed 20-Jul-05 21:00:56

I'm 14 weeks at the moment - just considering my options really. Thought it would be nice to hear experiences of requesting homebirths (although I do know it's my right to have one, I wonder whether they'll mind that I know that, iyswim!) and also hear what is offered in the way of support in different parts of the country.

tessasmum Wed 20-Jul-05 21:04:08

Hello, add me to the list!

HM our first-time experiences sound quite similar although I had to get out of the water to deliver as midwives were getting stressed at how long it was taking to push. However start to finish was under 8 hours and 1st stage very fast so body was just trying to catch up I think
Again a quiet night, pool free etc.

I'm due in November and want a homebirth this time round. haven't encountered any problems so far (although GP was very sniffy!) Midwives round here are known for being supportive, first one I met when DD was 2 days old (I officially moved areas when we left hospital!!) took a quick look at my notes and said "Home birth next time then?" I'm going to hold her to it!

hunkermunker Wed 20-Jul-05 21:08:28

LOL TM! Didn't really think about it when I went to see GP, so I'm going for my booking appointment at the hospital where DS was born - but will tell them then, I think.

After I had DS, I went back to the hospital to talk through (OK, complain...!) about my experiences of their breastfeeding support post-birth (basically none whatsoever) and the head of midwifery told me that I should have a homebirth next time! So yes, will be holding them to that too!

dinny Wed 20-Jul-05 21:13:06

Hello, Hunker, my team of community midwives were incredibly supportive of decision to have homebirths with both my two (although neither came to fruition for different reasons). Did never have to battle anyone - they were really encouraging. I ended up not having either my two at home as went into prem labour with dd and had Group B Strep with ds and needed antbios in labour (prob could have refused antibios and had homebirth but really didn't want to go against their advice, esp as I know the whole team are v pro-home birth generally).

pinkmama Wed 20-Jul-05 21:20:51

HM, I live in Brighton, which seems to be very pro homebirth. I know quite a lot of people who have had them. My dd was born in a different area by emergency section, ds was born in hospital with ventouse. My midwife has been very very supportive of homebirth, but hospital were a bit funny about it. I realise that they have to cover their backs, so they just went on about the risks of my scar rupturing. Its fair enough, i know they have their job to do. But after support on here, and as I say a very supportive mw I have decided to try to labour at home. DS was only 4 hours labour, and 2 of that was pushing him out. I am hoping this one might be quicker, so I wouldnt fancy my chances of getting to hospital anyway.

My main reason for wanting a homebirth is the idea of getting into my own bed after it, with baby and dh and him not having to go home and leave us. I hated that the last 2 times. I had both of them in the evening, and I just couldnt get to sleep because of the adrenaline and I remember feeling quite lonely.

flamesparrow Wed 20-Jul-05 21:21:51

Yup - I am. My story is pretty much the same as yours.

I'm only 8+6 now though

hunkermunker Wed 20-Jul-05 21:25:40

Dinny, I'd have gone to hospital for antibiotics with Group B Strep, for sure. Too scary otherwise.

Pinkmama, know exactly what you mean about not wanting the family to be separated after having the baby - seems totally wrong to me. If I do have to go into hospital, I'm going to see about booking an amenity room and will make them let DH stay. Either that or if I can, I'll leave after 6 hours. Can't face hospital bathrooms again either...

WideWebWitch Wed 20-Jul-05 21:26:07

I'm not but just wanted to say good luck to all of you planning homebirths, I had both mine at home and wouldn't change it for anything. Let me know if you want links to old threads for info or anything

Bozza Wed 20-Jul-05 21:54:58

Agree with WWW - had a home birth with DD (WWW and others support on here really helped me with my decision) and it was the best birth I could have hoped for with a lovely midwife. So good luck to you all.

hunkermunker Wed 20-Jul-05 21:58:35

Thanks, WWW and Bozza

zubb Wed 20-Jul-05 22:05:58

Having a homebirth in about 7 weeks with my third. My midwife is very pro-home birth, and as ds2 was an unplanned homebirth with no midwifes around due to very quick labour I didn't have much choice really I think the words 'russian roulette' were used about my chances of getting to the hospital this time!
My first was in hospital and was a really positive expereince, but I did like getting straight into my own bed with ds2, and ds1 being able to see his new brother very quickly in familiar surroundings.

leahbump Wed 20-Jul-05 22:23:17

Having a homebirth here too- am 37 weeks today and had my birth pack and gas and air delivered this am!!

I have bought an inflatable pool- from madeinwater.co.uk for £50 and it's fairly cool (being used as a ball pit for ds at the mo !

will be back soon hopefully when i've had the baby to tell you all about it!!!

(just hoping i don't have to transfer to hossie as postnatal ward was horrific and dirty last time!)

hunkermunker Wed 20-Jul-05 22:25:04

Wow, Leahbump - bet that delivery has made you feel how imminent yours is!

Just looking at the madeinwater site - thanks for the tip!

pinkmama Wed 20-Jul-05 22:30:49

As matter of interest leahbump, what was in your birth pack. I havent been given anything. Think they bring gas and air at the time, and gave me a long list of things to provide (most of their instructions revolved around food and drink for them but who can blame them?), but nothing else given to me.

leahbump Wed 20-Jul-05 22:35:17

birth pack contains all needles and canulas, oxygen masks for me and baby....a few drugs (one for placenta and fluids for drip just in case) plastic aprons and loads of gloves. seuter kit (sp) for any required needlework (hope not )!!

Placenta bin and stuff!!

I have provided old towels, plastic sheet, birth pool, tea and biscuits (will also do food if required), pampers bed mats..etc.

Midwife is visiting on friday so I'll know if I've missed owt then!!

HTH

PS- basically our midwives do not carry the 'medical' kit around as the local trust feels it's not safe- so to cut down trips to collect stuff when i call and say 'i'm in labour' they deliver it at 37 weeks.

pinkmama Wed 20-Jul-05 22:36:56

Thanks leahbump. Guess mine must bring it all with them. The only thing I havent sorted out on my list yet is an anglepoise lamp, because I really cant face accepting that they might need to stitch me up

leahbump Wed 20-Jul-05 22:38:21

OMG!!!! Well we haven't got one of those!!!! hope we don't need one!!

dizietsma Thu 21-Jul-05 04:16:32

I'm 38+ weeks (I've lost count of the days) and am due for a homebirth for my first birth. I have been advised against it because I have a high BMI, but on further research I think their concern is nothing but the usual medical establishment bias against overweight people so I'm going ahead with it anyway. I can't wait to have a perfectly normal birth after a perfectly normal pregnancy and prove them all wrong (quickly touches wood)!

RosiePosie Thu 21-Jul-05 08:05:05

I had a homebirth with my second and am planning on doing it again with my third (I'm 8 and bit weeks ). It was much nicer than my first hospital experience, although having had an epidural the first time, the pain took me by surprise a bit. The only draw back was that the midwife didn't bring enough G&A and we ran out, which I have to say was a truly horrific experience. The only thing I shall have written on my birthplan this time is "BRING EXTRA G&A!!!" and I shall give DH full instructions to make sure the MW has bought it all and it's all working properly. Other than that it was great. . own bed, own bathroom, own food etc . . all lovely.

flamesparrow Thu 21-Jul-05 09:01:09

Has anyone come up against problems with wanting one?

Had my first m/w appointment last week, and she told me that they were all for it, but it wasn't written in my notes because the senior partners could make me change surgery for my antenatal care!!! She said they tend to have a lot of women in this area who "don't quite make it to the hospital on time"

I'm not sure how things like the kit etc will work...

RosiePosie Thu 21-Jul-05 09:08:57

Well, it's got nothing to do with the GP's at your surgery has it? They're not the ones who are going to help deliver your baby - sheesh that makes me cross! I guess the midwives have done this plenty of times before, so I would just go along with what they say, it sounds like they know what they are doing. I am lucky in that the GP's want nothing to do with maternity care at my surgery and it's all done through the midwifery team and if need be, consultants at the hospital. Have you seen:
http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ and
http://www.aims.org.uk/

These should provide you with all the info you need. I know Beverly at AIMS will help if you run into any major difficulties.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: