Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Has anyone had another baby after c-section involving scar dehiscence?

(7 Posts)
Pammi Wed 10-Mar-10 22:24:46

My first two children were born by emergency caesarean. DS due to long labour and fetal distress, DD after short trial of labour resulting in scar dehiscence and frightening and potentially life-threatening emergency caesarean no.2. Has anyone experienced scar dehiscence and gone on to have another baby successfully? It seems extremely risky, but I would like to do as much research as possible before I completely rule out another pregnancy. I'm turning 40 this year so need to get a move on if I choose to go for it!

MumHoll Tue 07-Dec-10 14:27:44

I've just joined mumsnet. I've had exactly the same thing happen to me. My first two born by emergency c-section, the second was resulted in scar dihisence and I was on high dependency unit. It's now a year on and I'm desperate for another baby but my consultant says too risky, I have a 1 in 16 chance of something happening to me and baby. I am 40 next year. I am considering host surrogacy.

phoebebouffet Tue 07-Dec-10 17:13:52

what is scar dihisence? Is it scar rupture?

MumHoll Tue 07-Dec-10 20:22:18

yes, the existing c-section scar on my uterus opened up to about 6 cms in length and deeply until there was a very fine membrane underneath, it was not a full rupture as it was caught in time. The consultant who delivered my son said he could the baby inside from the moment he made the first incision. We were both very lucky. If I get pregnant again, apparently I have a 1 in 16 chance of something happening to me and the baby, and with two children I can't take that risk. I am so sad about it all.

fruitful Tue 07-Dec-10 20:49:03

Um, yes.

Dd - planned cs, footling breech

Ds1 - emergency cs at 34 weeks with bleeding due to placenta praevia. No labour. The surgeon came to see me afterwards and said the scar had started to separate, the placenta was bulging through it, and she'd used her fingers (not a scalpel or anything sharp!) to open up the scar. She told me to quit while I was ahead. She did say she'd sewn me up with 4 layers though.

But I wanted another one. Went to see a consultant who said it would be fine confused.

Ds2. The embryo implanted at the top of my cervix and the placenta grew through it. Placenta percreta. So I spent 3 months on the antenatal ward and had a crash cs at 32 weeks. Birth story here. Apparently the scar was so thin that I just bled right through it.

I do think it was a good job that I had the previa both times, in that it stopped me getting to the end of pregnancy when my scar might not have held out.

If we'd known then what we know now, we'd have stopped at 2.

(although ds2 is lovely and healthy and going to be 3 on Saturday so perhaps, if we'd known then how it would turn out, we'd have done it for him!)

MumHoll Tue 07-Dec-10 21:12:02

wow! what a story,thanks for sharing - has certainly given me a lot to think about - so glad you all came through fine. I am considering host surrogacy as so desperate to have another, but time is running out!!

fruitful Wed 08-Dec-10 15:00:03

It's hard isn't it.

If it helps any, I'm still broody. I'm at parenting capacity with 3 and I don't have a womb so it isn't going to happen but I'm still broody. I bet if you go over to the Large Families section and ask the mums of 4 and 5 kids, they're still broody for another too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: