Talk

Advanced search

early induction due to large baby

(31 Posts)
hawksley Sun 17-Jul-05 18:25:36

I am 37 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child, and have been advised by the consultant after a scan that I am induced at 38 weeks. My 2nd baby weighed 9lb13 and this one is looking similar, if not larger. Anyone had a similar experience, or general induction stories? I would rather not have pain relief, and am worried that induction might make this more likely.

jampots Sun 17-Jul-05 18:28:21

Hawkesley I had my ds delivered by elective c/s at 37 weeks because he was looking too big for me to deliver naturally. Dd was born at 39 weeks after a 62 hour labour culminating in an em c/s. She was 8lb 9.5 and ds was 8lb 12 at 37 weeks. Would have loved to have delivered at least one naturally but didnt and we were all safe which is the main thing. Good luck with your new baby xx

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 18:30:44

9lbs13 isn't overly big. Are you very small? How was the last delivery?

coppertop Sun 17-Jul-05 18:30:52

Ds1 weighed 9lb 8oz so when I became pregnant with ds2 I was advised that his size should be monitored. Ds2 was induced at 38 weeks and weighed 9lbs.

Ds1 also arrived after induction so I don't have a non-induced labour to compare to. The second labour was much faster than the first (6 hours instead of 40). The contractions were so fast and strong that I personally needed/wanted an epidural but of course that doesn't mean that it will be the same for you.

kate100 Sun 17-Jul-05 18:40:00

At least someone is listening to your concerns. DS was 9lb 11oz and I would love to be induced early and have a slightly smaller baby, but keep getting fobbed off with the baby's 'a good size' and 'no we won't do anything for a big baby'. Am now 38 weeks and even bigger than with DS, god knows what will come out. If I were you I would take the induction, because of the size, although have no experience of an induction so I can't comment on that. I feel very annoyed that there ate lots of procedures in place for small babies, but none for big babies, I have a friend who delivered a 12lb 6oz baby vaginally, despite begging for an induction, as she knew the baby was big.

katierocket Sun 17-Jul-05 19:02:29

my DS was 9lb 13oz and I gave birth vaginally. My sister in laws first child was 10lb 10oz and she had natural labour and birth.

I would avoid induction if poss. 9lb 13oz is certainly no reason itself to be induced.

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 19:07:13

I'm with Katie. Induction means your more likely to have a managed birth and the contractions will probably be stronger.

My 4th baby was 10lbs, my 3rd was 9 1/2. I did all mine without pain releif. But I don't think I could've handled no pain relief if I'd been induced.

Pinotmum Sun 17-Jul-05 19:11:07

I was induced with my 2nd baby (as overdue) and had a quick labour with no pain relief. My ds weighed 8lb7oz.

biglips Sun 17-Jul-05 19:42:10

is that true that if you had an induction, your contractions come on stronger? asi had induction but boy the contractions were hell for me (1st baba)

sorry to butt in!

hawksley Sun 17-Jul-05 20:06:07

I am quite small framewise and although the labour with my 9lb13 ds went really well, apparently (husband remembers but I just can’t) his head came out but shoulders got stuck a bit. I think this is the issue, as if the baby were any bigger it is likely I won’t get him/her out.

dizietsma Sun 17-Jul-05 20:35:50

Scans are so unreliable during the third trimester, I'm surprised that your consultant hasn't mentioned this. I'm measuring "big for dates" and the midwives have mentioned induction, but every time I bring up the unreliability of scans they are all quite willing to agree with my reservations.

Given that induction interferes with your body's natural pain relief and has a higher chance of intervention and therefore complications, I personally am avoiding it on the basis of the estimated size of the baby.

The website homebirth.org.uk has an interesting article about homebirth for big babies where she quotes the Confidential Enquiry into Stillbirths and Deaths in Infancy-

"The 6th Annual CESDI report(Confidential Enquiry into Stillbirths and Deaths in Infancy, published by UK government)looked at deaths of large babies (4000g and over), and it concluded that ultrasound estimation of fetal weight was NOT recommended where a large baby was suspected, because "the inaccuracy of ultrasound estimates have been well documented. Indeed, it is possible that estimating fetal weight by late ultrasound may do more harm than good by increasing intervention rates" (p47)."

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 20:37:53

Good post diz.

Nemo1977 Sun 17-Jul-05 20:41:08

I was induced as i went 2 wks over with ds. He was 9lb 1 when born. Personally didnt find induction too bad although i did use gas and air and diamorphine. I dont have anything to compare it to but personally found it an 'enjoyable'[as much as can be] experience

coppertop Sun 17-Jul-05 21:02:07

Hawksley - That's why I was induced too. Ds1 was very long and thin but had broad shoulders. He got stuck and it took a lot of manoeuvring to get him out. Ds2 also got his shoulders stuck but this time it was expected so it didn't take anywhere near as long to release him - although it certainly felt that way at the time.

gigglinggoblin Sun 17-Jul-05 21:05:08

ds1 was 9lb13 born at 41 weeks, i asked to be induced with ds2 and they did at 39 weeks, he was 8lb7. as i was induced with ds1 the labour was no worse, but it was also no better. i refused to be induced with ds3 cos i wanted a water birth. he was 9lb6 at 41.5 weeks. i cannot tell you how much easier that was. no hanging around waiting for induction to work, labour was quicker, less painful and i felt more in control. they thought ds2 was going to be over 10lb even tho he was early so shows what they know. unless there is some sort of major problem i would never be induced again, certainly not because they think the baby may be big.

charleepeters Sun 17-Jul-05 21:09:57

9lb 13oz not big!

I hope it all goes well for you - i wasnt induced for the same reason as you, but just wanted to assure you induction isnt as bad as some people make out, i found it fine good luck xx

RedZuleika Mon 18-Jul-05 09:45:35

Has anyone mentioned to you that the risk of stillbirth is greater at weeks 38 / 39 than at week 40? Obviously, it's ultimately your decision, but they can't claim that you've given informed consent if they haven't told you the risks. Can refer you to BMJ article, if required.

Tinker Mon 18-Jul-05 11:48:05

A 12lb 6oz baby!! <<fainting emoticon>>

alison222 Mon 18-Jul-05 21:39:10

DS was induced at 42 weeks and was 10lb.
DD was born at 40 weeks weighing 9lb 8 oz.
Induction didn't work on me and it took 5 days to actually get labour to go so it was not a pleasant experience. However, I'm told that inductions do usually work much better if its not the first baby.
I had an epidural with both though so can't compare the pain.
However DS was ventouse as his head hadn't been fully engaged when they induced me which meant that it was taking too long to push him out (apparently despite the epidural he was moving).

I'd want to go back and discuss all my concerns (write a list) before agreeing to anything.

Mind you I'm a fat one to talk. When I had my appointment at 40 weeks where they talk about induction if the baby doesn't arrive, I said no way after the first experience was I going through that again. The consultant wisely said OK we'll talk about itagain in 10 days IF the baby doesn't arrive. She came that night.

I'm rambling!
good luck with it all
x

LeahE Tue 19-Jul-05 08:38:54

AFAIK all the research studies that have been done have shown absolutely NO improvement in outcomes/complication rates through inducing suspected big babies early. It's one of those things that they do because it sounds like common sense in spite of there being no scientific evidence for it. I've got some of the references and articles still from being pregnant with ds (10lb 5oz in the end), I think.

TuttiFrutti Wed 20-Jul-05 11:58:37

I agree with gigglinggoblin that being induced is not a good idea unless it's really necessary.

I was induced and massive contractions kicked in within a couple of minutes, 2 minutes apart, of breathtaking pain. I was in a room on my own and my DH had gone home for the night as we were told labour woulnd't start till the next morning. I called a midwife and she said "Oh no, you can't be in labour yet, you're due to be in labour tomorrow". I had no pain relief for the first 13 hours because even after I could convince them I really was in labour, no delivery rooms were free and they would only give me an epidural in a delivery room. Nobody offered me gas and air - I now wish of course I had insisted on this.

After I had the epidural the pain vanished, but I still ended up with an emergency C-section after 23 hours of labour. I would probably have had the C-section anyway for other reasons, but I'm sure being induced made the pain at the beginning of labour a lot worse.

mandyc66 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:38:30

No one suggested I was induced..Large baby no 4 10lbs 2 had glucose check etc and n05 was looking along the same lines, he decided to come early himself and weighed 9lbs15!!! born 27th Sept instead of 8th oct!!!!

pinkmama Wed 20-Jul-05 12:48:32

DD was born at almost 42 weeks weighing 9lb 11 and an emergency section, but that was more to do with her position than just generally being large I think. I was worried with 2nd pg, they monitored me towards the end to make sure he wasnt getting too big. Was scanned on a tuesday when I was 38 weeks and told he was 7lb. He came of his own accord 2 days later and weighed 8lb 9. Funnily enough no body has mentioned the size of this baby at all. I cant imagine I will have a small one. I think it is very difficult to tell size of baby as my scan with ds shows, a difference of 1lb 2oz is a lot. I am not sure I would go for an induction purely based on their predicted size. Good luck

CarolinaMoon Wed 20-Jul-05 13:15:16

Pinkmama, do you know what was wrong with the positioning? The same sort of thing happened to me (ds born at 42+1 weighing 9lb 12oz, em cs after 52 hr labour, no descent at all after his head engaged - not sure whether this was because of malpresentation or that his skull bones had started to harden because he was overdue).

Hawksley, was that shoulder dystocia? My MIL had that with a couple of her babies (inc one over 11lb) - they were ok fortunately. I think they can manage it in some cases by getting you to use an all-fours position for delivery - what does your MW think?

pinkmama Wed 20-Jul-05 15:36:01

Carolinamoon, as soon as labour started she seemed to swing around into posterior position (think its posterior - the one where there back is against your back) and she tried to come out with the side of her head first. She was also in distress from quite early on, muconium in waters, then her heart beat was tachycardic. Dont think she enjoyed the process any more than I did!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now