Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Were you given a local anesthetic before being cut/stitched?

(11 Posts)
SweetFudge Wed 13-Jul-05 14:39:36

I'm expecting my first baby in about 5 weeks and had a talk with my midwife about being cut. She said I could ask for a local anesthetic administered if there was time before I was cut. I also said I'd rather tear than be cut unless it was necessary to prevent a very bad tear.

Has anyone been given a local before being cut and can you ask for one before being stitched? Did the local work if you had one?

From reading the thread "What's the worst thing about giving birth?" and sitting here clenching and wincing like mad at MNs' experiences of tearing/being cut and getting stitched, I get the feeling that a local isn't routinely offered. Or is it more the case that there is never enough time to be given one and for it to take effect before being cut or stitched?

I'm finding everyone's experiences invaluable - I know it will not prepare me for what the pain of a first birth is like but it will give me some idea of what to expect.

SF

TracyK Wed 13-Jul-05 14:41:03

I wasn't cut - but did get a local before stitches. Don't think I was asked - they just did it! Over in a couple of minutes!

Distracted Wed 13-Jul-05 14:42:37

Haven't had an episiotomy, but have had stiches afterwards and certainly they give you local anaesthetic for stiches (and gas and air too).

Stiches really aren't bad, you can cope after giving birth and I was busy enjoying cuddling my gorgeous new arrival at the same time, so I wasn't too bothered.

nailpolish Wed 13-Jul-05 14:43:07

i had a local before my stitches, i also was offered a whiff of gas and air.

didnt really feel it, just a slight pulling.

definitely not the worst thing about birth for me, although dealing with stitches afterwards is a bit annoying - they can itch!

PiccadillyCircus Wed 13-Jul-05 14:44:30

I'm sure I had local anesthetic before my episiostomy. I remember something cold being squirted down there and really didn't get any additional pain through it being done.

Aimsmum Wed 13-Jul-05 14:46:22

Message withdrawn

KeepingMum Wed 13-Jul-05 14:47:06

I had a pudendal block before episiotomy and ventouse with ds, I think this lasted while they were stitching me up though they also gave me gas and air (I got really high on this as I was breathing it constantly compared to having a bit of break when using it for contractions - not so pleasant). I had a 2nd degree tear with dd, and had local anaesthetic for that stitch up job. I asked for a GA though, much more wimpy about the stitches than the birth which was drug free.

KeepingMum Wed 13-Jul-05 14:49:14

I remember the registrar telling me I was going to feel a little scratch while giving me the pudendal block, I have to say that compared to 36 hours of induced labour, a small needle into my nether regions was not an issue.

clary Wed 13-Jul-05 14:50:17

sweet fudge i tore all 3 times so no knowledge on local before cuttign.
But on the stitches, I said that was the worst thing about childbirth because it was just awkward (feet up in stirrups) and felt sort of uncomfortable (feelign mw sitiching me) rather than being esp painful.
I had a local but of course if you have an epidural then they use that as it were.
Please don’t worry about this, lots of women don’t need stitches at all.

expatinscotland Wed 13-Jul-05 14:55:27

I had an epidural and forceps, so if she gave me a local before the episiotomy I have no idea, as my epidural was topped up to the max in case she wasn't able to deliver w/forceps and they had to do a c-section. I felt nothing, not even contractions.

SweetFudge Wed 13-Jul-05 15:03:05

Good to know about not everyone needing stitches.

It is just a huge thing with me - the whole tearing/cutting/stitching part. The women in my family all tore badly and my mum was given misaligned stitches when she had me, which had to be redone again. Growing up with those stories being hauled out every time someone got pregnant reduced my sister and I to near gibbering wrecks when we were younger.

I know it will all be worth it once baby is here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now