Talk

Advanced search

One mother, one midwife campaign

(64 Posts)
hunkermunker Fri 01-Jul-05 20:03:07

Not sure if this has been highlighted before now, but think it's very important!

CarolinaMoon Fri 01-Jul-05 20:05:38

cool! someone recently posted the yahoo group that goes with this, but not the site itself

starlover Fri 01-Jul-05 20:16:24

strongly support the idea... but there is such a shortage of midwives.. how can it work?

vicdubya Fri 01-Jul-05 20:21:46

I think this is a great idea. I never saw the same MW twice during my pg because they had staff shortages on my team and then they swapped all the team around to cover different areas about half way through. As a result I never had a birth plan because I didn;t have anyone to really discuss it with.

But how in practice will women "choose" their midwife?

What happens if there is one really lovely one and everyone wants her and then one awful one who gets no work?

I also support the idea of birthing centres, I think this coupled with one to one care would be excellent.

CarolinaMoon Fri 01-Jul-05 20:59:21

There are loads of trained ones who've left because of the lack of job satisfaction and difficulty of fitting NHS rotas around their own children - if that improved, they would come back (is the theory).

The overall effect should be that good ones would stay because the new system would allow them to do their job the way it should be done, and the crap ones would run out of work and leave - hurrah!

hunkermunker Fri 01-Jul-05 22:49:16

Bump

hunkermunker Fri 01-Jul-05 22:53:38

T-shirts and babygros being sold to raise funds for this campaign

dinny Fri 01-Jul-05 23:06:58

I had such a fab team of 5 mws with ds...had all antenatal apps at home, they made sure I met them all before last trimeseter and one of them delivered ds (beautifully!)

dinny Fri 01-Jul-05 23:07:54

don't think one-to-one care workable though (sadly)

moondog Fri 01-Jul-05 23:10:51

I saw the same midwife on every single appointment with both my pregnancies ( same woman each time as well)and if I'd wanted,she would have delivered the babies at home or in hospital.

Also lent me a TENS machine (they do to everyone)
and was at my house within 20 mins one Sunday morning, very early when b/feeding was going wrong.

Lovely wonderful woman. I class her as a friend (but we do live in a rural area.)

I was so naive,that I thought all women were treated like this until very recently.

dinny Fri 01-Jul-05 23:12:52

blooming heck, Moondaog, thought I'd had it good

hunkermunker Fri 01-Jul-05 23:13:43

If I'd seen the evil community midwife as my only midwife, that would have been a problem... Fortunately she's retired now - not a moment too soon!

Think it could work in a lot of places in the UK - and hopefully there would then be a move towards treating women like women, not like problems on a conveyerbelt.

moondog Fri 01-Jul-05 23:16:09

dinny,the doctor's surgery was also at the end of my road (about 50m away) so appointments were never a hassle.

She also runs the aqua natal group,so ample opportunities to bend her ear.

North West Wales Health Trust is fabulous and Sharon is fantastic!!

lockets Fri 01-Jul-05 23:17:12

Message withdrawn

moondog Fri 01-Jul-05 23:17:16

How's the pg going btw hunker? Is it public knowledge yet? Had your booking in appointment with a (better) midwife?

moondog Fri 01-Jul-05 23:17:54

No wonder we are besieged by incomers lol!

dinny Fri 01-Jul-05 23:18:42

want to see a bump next week, Hunker!

Moondog, GGGGRRRRRRRR

hunkermunker Fri 01-Jul-05 23:26:09

Think you may well see a bump on Wed - wore a maternity top today because it was comfier than my usual ones Wasn't even in maternity trousers till I was 22 weeks last time!! Mind you, made up for it and was HUGE after that, as you know!

MD, not had booking appointment yet - is on 2nd August, so AGES away! Scan next Friday though - looking forward to it, nervously!

dinny Fri 01-Jul-05 23:27:53

You weren't huge at all! Esp compared to me!

Bring on the bump, can't wait to see you! Are you out at work?

snafu Sat 02-Jul-05 11:25:41

Nice one, hinker, was just going to post a link to this!

Bumpety bump for this very important campaign that could make a real difference to midwifery care in the UK.

snafu Sat 02-Jul-05 11:30:11

Extra info here

Rochwen Sun 03-Jul-05 14:52:06

It works in Europe !

In Germany for sure you can have 'your own' midwife for all ante-natal stuff, delivery (yes, she will stay for the whole of your delivery whether it's 3 hours or 36 hours) and the post-natal stuff. I'm not sure how they work it with regards, to shift patterns, holidays, illnesses and their own families, but it is done and works very well.

CarolinaMoon Sun 03-Jul-05 15:19:33

Rochwen, do you know how they avoid having 2 of their own patients in labour at the same time? Do they just have to ensure all their patients' due dates are at least 4 weeks apart?

Nightynight Sun 03-Jul-05 16:20:42

crikey. never knew this was an issue. I saw loads of different midwives. They were friendly, easy to talk to and completely professional, so I never minded whether it was the same person as long as she had my notes.

I felt guilty actually, that one of them stayed on duty longer, because I was near to delivering a baby and she thought it would upset me to have someone new to deal with!

morningpaper Sun 03-Jul-05 16:51:09

I must admit I don't see how this kind of system can work. It must be hard enough under the current system without expecting midwives to take on the kind of organisational problems that being self-employed entails. In my area, ALL my community midwives are part-time with young families - I'm sure that most would rather know what hours and money they are getting each month rather than trying to juggle clients and put their needs first.

I also don't see how you can REALLY plan for the midwife you want for your birth as it is so erratic and first births can take a day or two - not really practical for midwives who have their own families I wouldn't have thought?

My own experience (half way through second pregnancy) has been that I don't actually care who I see, although I've often had the same midwife for several appointments. It's the quality of care that matters to me - whether the midwives are sympathetic, read my notes, treat me with kindness and humour - so far I've got no complaints! I'm sure I'm lucky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now