Talk

Advanced search

Can you drink alcohol while in labour?

(58 Posts)
morningpaper Tue 28-Jun-05 20:53:45

I was reading a book lately where a woman has a homebirth and when she goes into labour at 11pm, her doula tells her to 'have a glass of wine and go back to sleep'.

Is this GOOD advice or BAD advice?!

Just curious really.

motherinferior Tue 28-Jun-05 20:55:10

My first midwife told me to smoke a joint.

mears Tue 28-Jun-05 20:55:17

If you fancy one why not? One glass won't be harmful. Can't see the hospital adopting it as lpolicy though!

Angeliz Tue 28-Jun-05 20:55:21

I would think it was good advice to relax the woman but after 2 births, don't think a glass of wine would scratch the surface!!

expatinscotland Tue 28-Jun-05 20:57:08

One thing I learned the hard way is to make sure I've had enough to eat and drink before going into hospital. I went in at 9PM Thursday and didn't give birth till 4PM Friday and wasn't offered a drop to eat or drink. Given a drip but they never attached any saline to it. It was summer and I sweated buckets. I was dehydrated for days afterwards.

kgc Tue 28-Jun-05 20:57:39

Hi Mp

I would have thought that this was not a good idea but other people may have expert advice.

kgc

michellefromlakeland Tue 28-Jun-05 20:58:10

I shared half abottle of champagne wiht a friend int he ward after

w=d oes thta count

tabitha Tue 28-Jun-05 20:58:43

I stopped off at the pub for a couple of drinks when I was on the way to hospital to have dd1.
It certainly calmed my nerves a bit

moondog Tue 28-Jun-05 20:58:47

lol MI.

Did you?

motherinferior Tue 28-Jun-05 20:59:16

I had half a bottle of champagne the day I tested positive (before testing) which in retrospect was not a good idea. A glass in labour I think is a splendid idea.

michellefromlakeland Tue 28-Jun-05 20:59:45

nasally - with a straw too

morningpaper Tue 28-Jun-05 20:59:54

I'm sure a glass of wine would calm me down a bit.

However, I remember watching an episode of Quantum Leap where a woman was in labour and had to be stopped from giving birth, so she was giving brandy to drink and the alcohol stopped her contractions.

Now obviously most of my medical knowledge is from Quantum Leap so I don't know whether alcohol really DOES affect labour at all or not...

motherinferior Tue 28-Jun-05 21:00:18

No, but I know those who did.

moondog Tue 28-Jun-05 21:04:32

God I loved Quantum Leap.....

Don't see how the Champagne could not have been a good idea MI..... I was legless on quite a few occasions before realising I was pg. Not advisable obviously, but I doubt it was detrimental. Champagne was the first thing i sent dh out for the day after giving birth.

The joint thing.......realised years ago that dope freaks me out (tricky when I spent swathes of time with seriously drug addled gents). However the gas&air gave me exactly the same sensations as dope minus the paranoia (although arguably,once you are on the cusp of giving birth nothing seems scary by comparison.)

kgc Tue 28-Jun-05 21:04:36

May affect labour if you had too much I presume. But I cannot see the harm in a couple of glasses - although best to take professional advice.

michellefromlakeland Tue 28-Jun-05 21:05:18

MP rofl

motherinferior Tue 28-Jun-05 21:05:26

I have posted before about my alarming adoration of gas and air despite its role in my mistaking DD2's newborn labia for testicles

kgc Tue 28-Jun-05 21:06:31

Very recommended to drink like a fish when had the baby MP!!!

P.s Quantum Leap was fantastic!

zebraZ Tue 28-Jun-05 21:17:09

Am pretty sure that the effects of 2-3 glasses of wine would be less than a single dose of pethidine. Mears?

pupuce Tue 28-Jun-05 21:19:51

Champagne is suppose to be very good....
I would recommend a glass of alcohol to anyone, in labour you need to loose your inhibitions.

Socci Tue 28-Jun-05 21:21:04

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Tue 28-Jun-05 21:21:07

How well put, Pupuce, you do, don't you.

pupuce Tue 28-Jun-05 21:23:53

I do what?
Lose my inhibitions or drink champagne with clients ??? (I did that once actually ).... oh the joys of being a doula !

moondog Tue 28-Jun-05 21:33:11

Only the one glass I hope pupuce?!

expatinscotland Tue 28-Jun-05 21:33:56

Nada, socci. Not even ice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now