Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
Some questions about waterbirth(13 Posts)
1. I wore a nightshirt.
2. Yes, plenty of room to move around.
3. DH was at the side of the pool, hefting me to squat for each contraction at the mooing stage. He said afterwards that his arms hurt, but didn't think it a good plan to mention this at the time... Wise man!
4. Natural third stage, on the bed. Cord was cut after a decent interval whilst in the pool though.
for my homebirth with dd i had one of these - no idea what hospital pools are like.
1 - nothing. what were you thinking of wearing? an ordinary swimsuit or bikini would seem to be out - assume you wouldn't want bottoms - or i wouldn't anyway - nightshirt would get all wet and heavy... so it was nothing for me.
2 - yes. being able to move around easily, supported by the water, was one of the huge benefits of a waterbirth for me.
3 - outside the pool, pouring water on my lower back with a jug - i found it most comfortable to lean forward supporting myself on the sides.
4 - unassisted, out of the water. i managed to climb out with baby attached - in fact astounded midwives by my ability to stand up in the pool for quite a long time holding on to her immediately after birth! made up for this by being completely unable to get up for 24 hrs afterward though! what was slightly weird though was that the cord was quite short, so i had to hold her quite low though.
My experience exactly the same as hunkermunker (even DH and his achey arms!!!) except I wore nothing at all. And quite frankly didn't give a monkeys. And I am the one who tries to get changed under a towel after swimming so this was quite unlike me. Just couldn't be doing with it and actually didn't give being naked a second thought ... bless the midwives as naked mooing me can't have been a pretty sight.
Hope you get your waterbirth - it was a fab experience.
I had a pool at home, and was only in it for eight minutes - got in, pushed three times, had baby - but as far as I recall through the haze of gas and air:
1. Nothing. TBH it never occured to me to wear anything.
2. I vaguely remember a bit of room (bearing in mind I am a notorious shortarse)
3. Outside the pool, head end. I wouldn't have wanted him in there, though.
4. Got out - my midwives asked me too - and went for assistance after I couldn't push the damn thing out. Baby's cord was cut in the water, though. Although not by DP, who looked appalled at the very idea.
I had a little plastic step, on the advice of someone on MN - which I ended up using as a birthing stool too. It's by our bath now, and I feel VERY fond of it.
Oh and it was amazing, brilliant, wonderful, bizarre, and so fabulous that I regularly replay it in my mind.
hunkermunker - very wise of your DH not to mention his achey arms!
LOL I almost chocked on my drink when I read that!
1. You can wear a t-shirt, nightie whatever. I didn't realise you could (thick emoticon) and felt very exposed.
2. Yes. I tried to swim away from the pain. Funnily enough it came with me!
3. Pouring water onto my back from a jug. DH did this for hours asnd hours and it really helped. Everytime he stopped (to swap hands) I pleaded for him to keep going. He always said next time he would make sure his arms were stronger for that. No joking, he said they ached a lot afterwards. He reckoned it was a form of RSI.
4. Didn't successfully give birth in water (won't go into the rest of it as you're nearly there) so I can't answer.
The edge of the pool can be quite firm. I would take in big, cheap sponges (like the ones for car washing) to provide extra padding for your forearms.
Wore nothing in the pool
Could easily move from front to back etc
Partner was outside the pool (was asked if he wanted to get in - he said no way!!!)
Towards the end he held me up in the pool as i was a bit out of it on gas and air.
After DS2 was delivered - i got out for the placenta to be delivered, then they re-ran the pool and i got in for a nice bath
I wore nothing in the pool - couldn't bear to have anything touching my skin.
Yes, plenty of room to turn, even though I'm 5ft 9 and very chunky! However, I was most comfortable on my back with my feet planted firmly against the end of the pool.
DH was on the side of the pool - trying to be helpful by offering (and trying) to hold my gas and air thing. I thought he was trying to take it from me and kept swearing at him!
I had a natural 3rd stage. The midwife let the water out after the cord had been cut. DH held dd and I squatted over a tray thing, holding onto the sides of the pool. Felt a bit wobbly, but managed ok.
I absolutely loved my waterbirth. It was truly magical and wonderful.
was going to wear my lucky delivery nightie (worn for ds1 & ds2) cos i am shy. got in pool and thought sod it. took it off cos i didnt feel exposed in the slightest (2 mw, me & dp in room) so wore nothing
movement much easier cos water supports you. pool was about twice as wide and twice as deep as normal bath. didnt move much with others cos waters gushing out made moving uncomfortable - not a problem in bath
dp sat by side of pool and held one of my feet cos i couldnt plant feet very firmly on sides. mw held other foot
cord was cut whilst in pool. i was a bit shaky but managed to climb out with support. placenta delivered on bed while dp held ds3.
if you are prone to anaemia, make sure you take your iron tablets. i got to hospital and was told i might not be allowed in pool cos iron was v low at last test and it can mean you bleed more and may need a drip. they sent away another sample and iron level was quite high - was so relieved!
My water pool was about the size of a corner bath. It was the smaller of 2 that my hospital has, and i think they put me in the little one necause im only 5ft. However, it was still too wide/long for me to push my feet against.
i found it a bizarre experience as i was bobbing around all over the place, using floats and high from gas and air-also the warm water made me sleepy. fortunatly for dp,i didnt have enough hands to thump him with as i was holding on to the side of the bath and scrabbling for g&A with the other. must admit i encouraged dp to have a blast on the g&a and we both got really sleepy (long labour).so he wouldnt have been much use anyway.
In the end, they had to fish me out (butt naked by the way)coz i was bleeding quite heavily and they had to hook me up to the moniter. i couldnt continue in the water due to complications.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.