Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Who has given birth in Whittington Hospital?

(10 Posts)
jantogan Wed 22-Jun-05 13:27:06

Hello all,I have been thinking about waterbirth in London Whittington Hospiatal but I haven't decided yet.My first pregnancy and due 20 agust.I'd like to hear from someone who has given birth in Whittington.If you have more experience,how do you compare natural and water birth?

HappyMumof2 Thu 23-Jun-05 15:14:24

Message withdrawn

bundle Thu 23-Jun-05 15:20:18

had both my girls at the whittington (both c/s in the end), the care on the ante natal and labour wards was v good, but the number of staff on duty on the postnatal ward meant that you didn't get much individual attention re: bfeeding. i did get my painkillers on time though (!) and managed to get a private room so i could get some sleep (the wards are v noisy) so if you could limit the amt of time you spend there i think it would be a pretty good choice.

bakedpotato Thu 23-Jun-05 15:22:42

Me. Didn't have waterbirth, just laboured at home in bath till last minute (baby born 27 mins after I got there).
They do a community midwife thingy if you live in the right catchment, ie locally, which is fairly ace. I only had to go to hosp for scans and delivery.
However, the team of MWsI'd got to know were all off duty on the day I went into labour, whcih was a disappointment (they'd promised me that I had an 90 pc chance of being delivered by someone I knew -- yeah right),
Delivery rooms -- a bit of a blur -- seemed bettter than those at Royal Freee where I had no1. Also anesthetist arrived skidding (sadly, I was too late for my longed-for epidural -- my fault, not the hospital's).
Have to say the wards afterwards pretty grim. I had a side room, also fairly rudimentary, but quietish. The loos/showers were appalling (I had to tell the nurses this. They looked at me in blank incomprehension.)
The care was fine: good. The less essential details not so.
(Hi bundle)

HappyMumof2 Thu 23-Jun-05 15:27:58

Message withdrawn

bundle Thu 23-Jun-05 15:34:06

dd1: june 2000; dd2: april 2003.

bath?? ooooh no, only had showers (mainly to whip off dressing on c/s scar and take out catheter) and blurry bed bath a few hrs after surgery. friend who had her first 2 at whit is going to royal free this time (mainly to find out the sex, which they have a policy of not doing at the whittington).

hi bp

HappyMumof2 Thu 23-Jun-05 15:36:50

Message withdrawn

bundle Thu 23-Jun-05 15:40:09

shower has to be better than bath (with or without pubes)

bakedpotato Thu 23-Jun-05 18:00:50

I was there in jan, mumof2.
Antenatal 'facilities' were filthy -- hence the complaint to the MWs. Pee on loo seats etc.
Oh yes, and there was no hot water the night i was there, so I couldn't have used the showers anyway.
I think they're overhauling though... walked past the other day and thought I saw decorators' ladders in my old side room.

HappyMumof2 Thu 23-Jun-05 18:29:51

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: