Talk

Advanced search

Induction when suffering from SPD - worth it?

(8 Posts)
Naetha Wed 11-Nov-09 21:27:42

I've got quite severe SPD (on crutches, almost constant co-codamol due to pain etc) and I'm 38 weeks with 22mo DS running around.

I've got a consultant appt on monday about getting an induction - can you tell me the pros and cons?

The idea is that I can't cope with DS when I can't move (which is entirely true) but am I going to be in hospital for days if they induce me?

If they start me with a pessary or gel, can I go home afterwards, or would I have to stay in the hospital?

If I try and get things going myself (evening primrose oil up the fanjo) will this make the hospital induction speedier?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 11-Nov-09 22:40:23

I was induced with ds1 (no spd) when I was 2 1/2 weeks overdue. According to the mw my cervix wasn't favourable at all, and I'd had no signs of labour being imminent. I had the pessary at 9pm and he was born by 5am the next morning with just gas and air. I went home the next day

With ds2 I had terrible spd, but went into labour on my due date. He was born at 5pm and I went home the next day.

So for me, there was no difference in recovery, though I realise this isn't the case for everyone.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

xx

bigcar Thu 12-Nov-09 10:24:19

normally with an induction once they start with the pessary, you stay in the hospital. Can't predict how long the induction would take though grin

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Thu 12-Nov-09 21:44:18

I was induced due to SPD with DC1. I had to stay in, they induced me at night, DP had to go home, he wasn't allowed to stay.

I went on to have a horrible, long labour ending in emergency c-section. But everybody will have a different experience.

Good Luck

CarGirl Thu 12-Nov-09 21:49:05

I've had 4 inductions!

With dd3 I had chronic spd and was induced on my due date (I usually wait until 42 weeks grin)

That particular induction was the worst, baby clearly wasn't ready to born and it was long and painful etc.

My best advice is to find an osteopath who treats pregnant women. I visited one and was able to get rid of my crutches grin

RubysReturn Thu 12-Nov-09 21:49:20

I believe the earlier before your due date, the harder it is to induce - things are just less ready. I think inductions before 40 w are q often unsuccessful and end up in a cs - no stats, just recollections from my experience. If I were you, I'd ask how often induction at 38 weeks work at all, let alone how fast.

Are you very bad? Can you struggle on? I ended up induced at 42 weeks, so went off like hair trigger !

RubysReturn Thu 12-Nov-09 21:50:00

I agree with cargirl now - osteopath was biggest factor in my speedy recover after 3rd pg

CarGirl Thu 12-Nov-09 21:52:32

I agre with Ruby says, the earlier mine were the worse!

Osteopathy really is the way to go, it is frightening what a difference it can make and you will be gutted that you put up with the pain for so long when there is something to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now