Talk

Advanced search

Postnatal care

(7 Posts)
SuiGeneris Fri 06-Nov-09 19:20:12

I hope this is the right section to post this in. Does anyone know what postnatal care involves in London? I thought a midwife would come at home every day for the first ten days, but apparently this is no longer the case.

Also, what happens if you are followed by a hospital-based antenatal team? Do you have to go to the hospital for your checks? How often?

Would be grateful for other people's experiences. Concern is being sent home early after delivery and then be left without anyone checking the baby and I are progressing well...

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 06-Nov-09 20:46:26

Generally they visit you the day after you come home (assuming a hospital birth) then visits will depend on what you want and need. In theory they will visit as much or as little as you need. They dishcharge you from midwife care at 28 days.

After DS i had a visit the day after discharge, another about 2/3 days later then one or two more. At about 10 days the health visitor usually makes contact and will 'take over'.

hth

Grendle Fri 06-Nov-09 20:53:19

Depends on where you are. For my first I had daily visits for almost 2 weeks and then continued visits until 23 days becase of bf difficulties. For dc2 (different area) I got one visit 6hrs after she was born at home (i.e. 3hrs after the birth midwives left hmm) and that was it for home visits shock. Had to go to a clinic on day 6 and another on day 10. Apparently in that area twas the same for 1st time mums, which personally I think is appaulling for either. This time, not sure what to expect, as another new area. I think I'll get a visit the day after the birth and then maybe day 6 and 10, or possibly more if problems. I've been told they are also considering -insisting- -new- -mums- -struggle- -out -to- -clinics- responding to feedback from mums and inviting them to attend clinics instead of home visiting. I heard that in some areas postnatal clinics are held in Tesco.

Grendle Fri 06-Nov-09 20:54:12

insisting new mums struggle out to clinics

cleanandclothed Fri 06-Nov-09 21:12:22

Very much depends on the area (and not by council, much more localised ie your doctors surgery). Check with your midwife. I had about 11 visits at home in the first 2 weeks, and then about 4 more until we were discharged from them at 4 weeks. Friends who live 5 mins away but with a different surgery got 2 visits max.

SarfEasticated Fri 06-Nov-09 22:53:33

I found out far too late that my local health visitors were actually available for home visits. All I had to do was ring them. I was told this when my dd was 1yr old, so far to late to be of any use!

SuiGeneris Sat 07-Nov-09 07:17:11

Thank you everyone. That's very useful- it sounds like I need to ask. Have never met local community team as I have been on hospital-based care throughout, so no idea what happens in this area...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now