Talk

Advanced search

ECV booked - any experiences????

(12 Posts)
Joycey29 Thu 05-Nov-09 20:18:56

HELP!!
Breech baby at 37 weeks! Consultant keen to try and turn it (ecv) has anyone experienced this as I feel nervous.
Thanks!

idontbelieveitifitsinthemail Thu 05-Nov-09 20:26:23

I had it. It didn't work. it wasn't as bad as i'd been led to believe (did a lot of stupid googling). It was uncomfortable but not excruciating. I would definitely try an ECV again if I was ever in the situation again. they monitored the baby the whole time and she was absolutely fine, just very unwilling to move! Good luck. smile

cyanarasamba Thu 05-Nov-09 20:27:03

Yes I had a successful ecv at 37 weeks. It was a very strange sensation but not painful exactly. I was admitted to a room on delivery suite and scanned to be sure of baby's position.

I was then given an injection to relax my muscles which seemed to make me a bit woozy/shaky, but then that may have been nerves. Then, with the help of the midwife the consultant turned the baby while I was lying down. It helped to focus on breathing deeply to relax as if in labour.

Afterwards there was a bit of a celebratory atmosphere and was scanned again and the baby's heart monitored for an hour or so before I had a cup of tea and a sandwich and was allowed to go home.

Hope that helps!

Teapot13 Fri 06-Nov-09 01:43:58

I'm in a similar situation but, rather oddly, my consultant isn't recommending ECV. He just doesn't believe it's a good idea generally, because of the risk of fetal distress, but he said he'd be happy to refer me to a colleague if I want to try it. That made me uncomfortable -- I know nothing, so why would I ignore my doctor's advice? (I should add that this is my first baby and I'm past 38 weeks, so those are two facts that make ECV more difficult.) I was also rather alarmed that they do this in theatre, with the preparations for a c-section. To me it seemed strange to risk an emergency c-section in order to avoid a planned one, although the risk must be low or they wouldn't do the procedure.

My brother's wife gave birth to twins yesterday and she was really committed to a vaginal birth. The first one was delivered normally (w/ induction) but the second one was breech, so the obstetrician was doing ECV after the first was out. The second twin went into distress and they had to do an emergency c-section with general anaesthesia -- not even time to top up epidural. This scared me so any doubts I had about not doing ECV are gone. Both babies and my sister-in-law are now absolutely fine, though.

Sorry this isn't really real experience, and I'm sure the story about my sister-in-law is an unusual case, particularly since it involved twins. I'm just explaining what I've learned recently because it sounds like we're facing similar issues and getting different advice.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Joycey29 Fri 06-Nov-09 08:50:33

Thanks for all the advice! My midwife was anti ecv but my consultant feels it is worth a try as it is my third baby.
Will keep you posted but am still nervous!

elmotaughtddtousethepotty Fri 06-Nov-09 17:33:10

Hi, Yes I had one and it was absolutely fine. I would definitely have one again without a second thought. there is, of course, a small risk that the baby will get into distress and you'd be taken for a c sec there and then, but tbh if you don't try the ECV you're probably looking at a c sec anyway aren't you?

Like Cyan the experience was very positive. i was scared and a bit nervous, but it was really fine. it was uncomfortable when her head went past my rib cage and hip bone (i was also just over 37 weeks) but it wasn't particularly painful, just a bit scrapy if that makes sense.

I had an injection to relax the uterus a bit and about 30 mins monitoring of baby's heartrate. then they did the proceedure - 2 consultants, one dug both hands below baby's bum and the other dug both hand above baby's head and they literally shove it round!! it was quite amazing really. DH was a star massaging my feet throughout to distract me and the MW's were lovely holding my hand for reassurance.

Once baby was round, they monitored her heartrate again for about an hour, and then we went home.

had a normal VB 5 weeks later.

I will see if I can go find a link to a video which showed the proceedure being done which I found really helpful (need to go to my other computer to get it so will come back in 15 mins and post it up for you if you see this).

Its one of the oldest midwifery techniques known, has a really interesting (and successful history). surprised your MW is anti. IME its the consultants who just want to do the c sec and the midwives advocating for ECV first!

puffinnuffin Fri 06-Nov-09 17:40:49

I had an ECV a few weeks ago when I was 36 weeks pregnant. There were 3 people present (consultant, Dr, midwife). I had a patch put on my arm to relax muscles and scanned regularly. I'm afraid I found it excruciating and was shocked at how much pressure the consultant put on bump! Sadly it didn't work and I had to stay in for 10 hours afterwards as it brought on strong contractions.
However I have since found out that my baby was very well wedged in and much bigger than they thought. He wouldn't have been able to have been turned because of this.Every baby is different so don't let this put you off.

I also tried hynotherapy, acupunture and crawling around on all 4's- nothing worked!

elmotaughtddtousethepotty Fri 06-Nov-09 17:54:12

sorry i can't find the link! it was 3 years ago so i must have tidied up my favourites folder since then.

i gather it only works 50% of the time so i am one of the lucky ones.

forgot to add, there was also a midwife with an ultrasound continuously monitoring my daughter throughout the turning to check her heartrate and the umbilical cord which you could clearly see the blood flow on the screen, so i felt in good hands that had there been a whiff of the baby being in distress they'd stop immediately.

I also took a good week to think about it before deciding to go for it.

Joycey29 Sun 08-Nov-09 19:57:32

Thanks Elmo - I looked on Utube and found one. Thanks for the idea I hadn't thought of it! You're a star!

christiana Sun 08-Nov-09 20:01:30

Message withdrawn

onepieceoflollipop Sun 08-Nov-09 20:06:16

I had a very similar experience to cyan. Had the ecv at 37 weeks which I was informed is the optimum time to do it.

The consultant that did it is apparently well known in the hospital for his success at the procedure.

Anyway, dd2 had been a definite breech, I had a natural birth (as hoped for) 2 days after my due date.

I enjoyed the muscle relaxant blush - a bit like having a couple of glasses of wine. They don't give it to everyone, in my case I kept having braxton hicks when the doc put his hands on me so they needed everything nice and relaxed.

Joycey29 Tue 10-Nov-09 20:49:32

Ecv successful but really quite painful and not sure I will repeat if it turns back!!
Thanks for all advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now