Talk

Advanced search

Can someone answer some questions for me about a sweep please?

(30 Posts)
corblimeymadam Mon 02-Nov-09 15:17:00

Message withdrawn

mel1981 Mon 02-Nov-09 15:22:25

I have had 1 sweep didnt really hurt me just uncomfortable at the time. i think driving should be ok. my labour started within 48 hours but it doesnt maen that was what caused my labour as i was 10 days overdue. its not guaranteed to trigger your labour unfortunately.

flockwallpaper Mon 02-Nov-09 15:25:29

I didn't find it that painful, if anything like my experience you should be able to drive and should not need paracetamol. I seem to remember the midwife telling me after a morning sweep that things may start by the evening (although it didn't work for me). Good luck.

ChilloHippi Mon 02-Nov-09 15:26:29

I had a sweep and it really hurt (the doctor must have had the biggest fingers in the world) and things took off very quickly from there.

displayuntilbestbefore Mon 02-Nov-09 15:35:46

I've had a sweep, really hurt, didn't do anything to bring on labour just made me hate my midwife! ds didn't arrive for a further 11 days.
Yes, take a paracetamol,wear a towel as you'll bleed a bit and yes you'll be able to drive and go to yoga on Wednesday....or do as I did and ask for it to be delayed until you're full term. Everyone's so impatient to get their baby out - give it at least the full 40wks!

LowLevelWhingeing Mon 02-Nov-09 15:42:42

I had a sweep.

It's a bit like sticking something up your nose but not stopping when it reaches the 'top'. You can stick things up your nose but you don't necessarily want to.

It's like that.

I had pathetic contractions all night, but no labour. Section 3 days later.

motherbeyond Mon 02-Nov-09 15:44:06

displayuntil...op has to have sweep due to high bp!

if i'm brutally honest,my sweep hurt like hell..so take paracetamol.

my mum drove me,and i'm glad because i was a bit shaky afterwards.

i wouldn't have been able to do yoga!

i lay on the couch sniffling with my blanket, and when my mum rang later to see how i was and i told her i still had a really sore tummy,she said "er,love? i think it's started!"

...and she was right,lost the mucas plug(eyw) and contractions began.

you may be fine,i assumed all sweeps really hurt (mum had one and said it was awful) but reading some responses it seems 50/50...

fingers crossed yours is pain free..good lucksmile

melpomene Mon 02-Nov-09 15:46:50

In my experience it felt very similar to a smear test - uncomfortable for a minute, but I was back to normal quickly and drove home. Labour started within 36 hours for me.

displayuntilbestbefore Mon 02-Nov-09 15:46:59

oop, blush yes sorry!
Still don't think mine was worth the pain but I know plenty of friends who didn't bat an eyelid during their sweep.

melpomene Mon 02-Nov-09 15:47:23

forgot to say - good luck!

corblimeymadam Mon 02-Nov-09 15:48:25

Message withdrawn

mine really hurt but apparently she couldn't find my cervix hmm
(had the same experience at a smear)
Had G&A, labour sped up very fast after that, DD was born less than 3 hours later

displayuntilbestbefore Mon 02-Nov-09 15:49:50

I did apologise belgian! So used to seeing posters begging for sweeps at 36wks or so!

corblimeymadam Mon 02-Nov-09 15:50:13

Message withdrawn

displayuntilbestbefore Mon 02-Nov-09 15:59:46

phew! smile

corblimeymadam Mon 02-Nov-09 17:32:44

Message withdrawn

displayuntilbestbefore Mon 02-Nov-09 17:51:27

don't know if it is less uncomfortable depending on what pregnancy you're on I'm afraid as didn't have one with first pregnancy, but when I did have one, as ds didn't turn up for a further 11 days, I would think it was maybe so uncomfortable because he wasn't ready to come out despite MW having "signs" I was ripe for it.....depends also on your MW and whether she's a kind caring woman or has a gripe with life!!!!Good luck anyway.

corblimeymadam Mon 02-Nov-09 18:14:04

Message withdrawn

happiestmama Mon 02-Nov-09 23:59:53

Apparantly the stats are it will work for 1 in 8 women, and as display until says, the discomfort level is supposed to be directly related to how 'ripe' your cervix is. hth

mummamango Tue 03-Nov-09 06:42:30

I have a sweep later today. Am 41 weeks. Have been told various stats 50% effective, 1/3 effective, will work first time or not at all, will work if going to within 3 days - I guess it depends on who you talk to.
Have to say am getting very impatient now to meet baby so if it gets him out then will be worth it!
Good luck Belgian

corblimeymadam Tue 03-Nov-09 10:52:26

Message withdrawn

Linnet Tue 03-Nov-09 11:04:16

I had a sweep with my first pregnancy I was 4 days overdue when they did it. It was quite uncomfortable and I felt a bit crampy afterwards and a bit sick. I walked home afterwards though.

It didn't work properly for me though, all it did was start a few weak niggly contractions later that evening which then continued on and off for the next 4 days until my waters broke, by which point I was exhausted and annoyed as I hadn't slept properly in days.

When the dr offered to do a sweep during my second pregnancy I refused point blank.

But I do know others who have had a sweep and then delivered within 24 hours.

ermintrude13 Tue 03-Nov-09 11:10:10

I had sweeps when overdue with both my youngest DC and found them excruciating (most women just find them uncomfortable like a smear so not sure why mine were so appalling). Worse than labour. If it hurts, it helps to breathe through and a nice midwife will encourage you to do so. But the pain didn't last afterwards and it took 24 hours for contractions to kick in. Highly unlikely for anything to start right away, especially if you're before due date. Yoga might be a help if you feel up to it.

Good luck and hope it does the trick for you x

Northumberlandlass Tue 03-Nov-09 12:44:26

Hey - had a sweep when I was 12 days overdue and in very early labour. It was horrendous. Appparently my cervix was very long and posterior (?) basically it pointed to my lower back and my midwife was incredibly rough sad. I did however have DS within 12 hours !!!

tigger32 Tue 03-Nov-09 13:07:30

Sorry no experience of sweeps but just wanted to say Good luck Belgianbun, hope it does the trick. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now