Talk

Advanced search

scared about pushing baby out.. what is it really like???...

(37 Posts)
waitingwaiting Thu 29-Oct-09 16:06:04

Hi there,

I had a really awful birth with my daughter, tried to do everything naturally at a midwife led centre and ended up being transferred blue light flashing to hospital because of bleeding.... bleeding stopped, so I got to the final stage of pushing out on only gas and air, however she wouldnt come out, ended up with a failed ventouse and then a c-section.

I'm now pregnant with my second and I'm going to try for a natural birth again, but must admit I feel so scared about the pushing out bit, thinking it will hurt so much when baby actually comes out... I've heard all sorts of stories about people tearing etc.....

Having never pushed a baby out before, and hoping to this time, please can you let me know what it is actually like, on just gas and air?!!

Many thanks!

Cosette Thu 29-Oct-09 16:22:24

It hurts, but it's not unbearable! The most painful bit in my experience is when the baby's head "crowns" - and that really doesn't last very long at all. I've had 3 - all with gas and air - the largest 10lb 4.5 oz, and it was fine. (no tearing with any of them).

Everyone's different of course, but I think the problems come when the birth is prolonged, and you get very tired. I have been fortunate in having relatively quick labours which helps.

I also found labouring in water helped a lot with the pain - so consider that... Also look at perineal massage - I did that with all 3 too..

sweetnitanitro Thu 29-Oct-09 16:24:26

Well I had a fairly bad tear but I was surprised when they told me. I've only done it once so I've nothing to compare it to but it wasn't that bad. Yes it hurt, it was like a stingy kind of hurt, like a wasp sting I suppose, but the crowning part is over so quickly and at that point I was just looking forward to holding my baby grin When they were stitching me up I asked them to do it right so I could have another one, so it hasn't put me off!

I had pethidine but it had worn off by the time the crowning started, so it was just G&A. Best of luck to you, you'll be fine.

mathanxiety Thu 29-Oct-09 16:28:02

It hurts a lot, in the general area. You feel very stretched/ stung and the perineal area feels very pressurised. But when it's over, it's really over and you feel great.

currycrazy Thu 29-Oct-09 17:02:57

i dont think you should be worried,i dont remember anything about it being particuarly bad....when you get to that stage,hey! its just about done,just concentrate on meeting your baby and the excitement of that.good luck smile

Reallytired Thu 29-Oct-09 17:18:55

I gave birth with nothing but tens. I found it helped me to listen to some nice music and breathe in time to the music. (not necessarily hideous whale/birth music, but something calming. Prehaps a bit of mozart)

It helps to give birth in an upright positions. Ie. kneeling, standing or squating. Gravity then does a lot of the work of getting the baby out. Also only push when your body tells you to push.

For most women first births are the most painful. Your pelvic floor is far more elastic with second births.

Tambajam Thu 29-Oct-09 17:29:30

The actual pushing out bit was the easiest bit for me both times. Contractions hurt more.
I also tore both times but didn't feel it - really couldn't tell.

mololoko Thu 29-Oct-09 17:35:16

i also found it not as bad as contractions (there is an end in sight!), but i didn't really know "how" to push and it went on for 40 minutes. as soon as someone told me to pretend i was having a massive poo, she shot out! i also tore and didn't realise until afterwards.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 29-Oct-09 17:39:11

Message withdrawn

pipWereRabbit Thu 29-Oct-09 17:46:17

Pushing the baby out wasn't too bad at all. The crowning was not good, but once I was pushing properly I don't recall it hurting anymore.

Second time around I was only on gas and air, I can distinctly remember feeling the 'pop' as I tore and the baby shot out - but I did not register any pain at all.

The sensation of the baby slithering out and the immense relief as the pain of contractions just stops is something I found amazing and wonderful.

Perhaps its the surge of adrenalin?

colditz Thu 29-Oct-09 17:50:32

hurts like fuck but is very soon over.

It's not the worst bit of labour, IMHO

Lulumama Thu 29-Oct-09 17:52:45

I had a VBAC and can honsetly say taht the sensation of pushing the baby out was actually really enjoyable, it felt really good to be doing something to get the baby out!! i didn't tear and it was far more bearable than the ctx themselves.

Indith Thu 29-Oct-09 17:56:43

You feel stretched and it burns but it is bearable, I suppose because it has a purpose. I actually preferred it with dd when I had not been using gas and air, I think because with ds I felt very our of it and didn't know what was going on, with dd I was totally in control and could feel her moving down and out so I was able to listen to my body and let it push when it wanted to. I found the breathing and panting etc just came totally naturally and I only had a slight graze as with ds even though she was on the large side.

becksydee Thu 29-Oct-09 18:09:52

it's actually not so bad - like others i found it a bit stingy but less painful than contractions. i'd ditched the gas & air by that stage & just had the TENS machine on, on the advice of my doula to help me conserve my strength (was starting to get a bit woozy blush, but actually i didn't need it)

getting into a good position will help with the pushing too - i spent most of my (2 hr+) second stage on all fours on the bed and was getting nowhere (with hindsight, it felt wrong and i really wanted to be nearer to the floor but was too tired to articulate this), but after less than 10 minutes on a birthing stool DS was born - maybe put in your birth plan that you'd like your birth partner &/or the midwife to suggest different positions if you don't seem to be progressing?

good luck

lou031205 Thu 29-Oct-09 18:11:14

Pressure and burning like fire. But the moment the head is out, whilst you wait for the next contraction to push the body out is bliss, second only to feeling the baby slither out smile

By that time you will just want the baby out, honestly - you are made for this stuff.

violethill Thu 29-Oct-09 18:31:12

What lou31205.

What they say about the ring of fire is true. Being totally honest, I found it the worst part of labour (I had a second degree tear and was on no pain relief second stage) BUT the actual head coming out is relatively quick, and then you get the BEST feeling in the world.

monkeyfacegrace Thu 29-Oct-09 18:33:30

Contractions are the bit to worry about, I was drifting in and out of conciousness with the pain it was horrendous! But as eveyone else says, the pushing bit is almost fun! I loved it, its a diff pain from contractions (dull ache-yuck), its more of a sharp stinging. But it feels so satisfying, then when the baby finally slithers out, its like doing the biggest poo ever, you feel empty, satisfied, and the pain literally just stops dead. Then I got all proud of myself and had a giggle and apologied to the midwife to getting her goey!

Celery Thu 29-Oct-09 18:34:24

It is exactly like doing the biggest poo of your life.

JustAnotherManicMummy Thu 29-Oct-09 18:38:55

I told the mw it was burning. She looked concerned but I know now this is because they weren't expecting DS to be crowning already (I was perched on the loo for a start!). I honestly thought I was doing something no one else had ever done at the time... hmm

Big poo advice is spot on. To my shame I was doing pelvic floors at first blush as I went a bit loopy when I got gas and air at transition.

Once off the G&A I was well away and DS was born with me leaning over a chair on my knees.

I wouldn't have thought it would be any more sore afterwards than you would be from having a ventouse. But I haven't experienced it so can't be sure. Contractions are definitely worse than the pushing out bit IME.

Grendle Thu 29-Oct-09 19:24:39

I did it with dc2 after dc1 was pulled out using forceps. To be honest, it was one of the most exhilirating experiences of my entire life smile. She came out in 4 contractions. My body pushed involuntarily, whilst I made some cool primal noises, but it wasn't painful. It was indeed a bit like a big poo, only more wriggly. Twas a waterbirth by the way, no pain relief.

Hoorayhenrietta Thu 05-Nov-09 15:58:16

Yes .. it is like doing an enormous poo after say having been constipated for months... I had 45 mins of pushing with my 3rd, 15 mins with my 2nd...no pain relief...I stood up whilst giving birth on both 2nd and 3rd labours as I felt gravity helped...twas I'd say exceedingly uncomfortable rather than painful...I didn't really notice the contractions being as painful during this stage...all the best! You can do it...

RollCorpseIntoHedge Thu 05-Nov-09 16:04:38

It does burn but it is not for long, so not to bad compared to contractions which you have already done. Remember that the perineum is very streched at that point so if a tear occurs you don't really feel it.

It is the bit of the labours I can remember least so it can't be that bad!

Do you know about optimal fetal positioning - google if not. Its something positive you an do late in pregnancy re getting your baby in the best position for birth in case a bad position was what caused the problems the first time. Seemed to really help with my 2nd and 3rd.

Morloth Thu 05-Nov-09 16:11:26

For me it didn't hurt at all, it kind of felt like doing a huge poo. With the usual relief afterwards. grin

No tearing at all which I put down to months of perineal massage with olive oil.

Clary Thu 05-Nov-09 16:19:24

It's like trying to pooh a melon.

That's what someone told me beforehand and they were right grin

It's OK tho - I've done it 3 times on just gas and air so can't be that bad!

cyteen Thu 05-Nov-09 16:29:04

It is soooooooo satisfying when the head is out. I distinctly remember, after a crescendo of operatic screams and shoves that amazed even me, feeling the head pop out and a moment of complete stillness where I thought 'one more and he's really here'. And then I pushed once more and he really was

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now