Talk

Advanced search

Sweep before due date for big baby?

(3 Posts)
preggiemeggie Thu 29-Oct-09 11:10:47

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/share their experience with regard to membrane sweeps.
I'm due in 1 week and have a big baby on board (current weight estimate is 8lb 11oz - so likely to be over 9lbs). I'm also quite small (5'1). The consultant has said that she doesn't want to induce, which I'm relieved about, but she'd be happy for midwife to do a sweep from 39 weeks (ie now). I'm not really sure if I should go for this or not.

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Deemented Thu 29-Oct-09 12:36:50

Well, with DD they told me she was going to be a biggie, and i had a sweep at 39+3. Within the hour i was having regular contractions, and dd was born about 8 hours after my sweep. 10lbs 2oz.

beautifulgirls Thu 29-Oct-09 12:59:43

It is fairly unlikely to do any harm and may help you go into labour, but a lot depends on how close your body is to going naturally anyway. If it is too early it will not help, but of course there is no way to know that until they check. Take a google of "bishops score", as that is something that the midwife should be able to tell you about and will give you a better indication of whether it is more likely to be useful to sweep or not bother depending upon your result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now