Talk

Advanced search

when labour starts.....who do you ring and in what order?

(8 Posts)
madremia09 Fri 23-Oct-09 19:53:17

i am hoping to have a hospital birth so do i ring the hospital first?
then would i ring the midwife if its all going too quickly and i dont think im going to make it? or an ambulance?or the hospital who will get an ambulance?

thanks!

MrsTittleMouse Fri 23-Oct-09 19:58:25

You ring the hospital first. You will talk to a midwife who will chat to you about symptoms and then you can decide whether it's time to go in. It's unlikely to go too quickly if it's your first time. Very unlikely! But if you are feeling the urge to push on the kitchen floor then you can phone an ambulance.

Good luck.

Grendle Fri 23-Oct-09 19:59:08

Usually delivery suite, but ask your midwife and she'll run you through itsmile. H ow far on are you?

madremia09 Fri 23-Oct-09 20:00:10

im 31 weeks and its my second.........dd1 took 6 hours.....

Yeah ring the midwife when you think you're in established labour, or if your waters have gone, she will advise you further whether you need to wait or come straight in etc.

And yes, ring the midwife if it's all going too quickly (have you had quick births before?) you can always try lying on your left hand side or taking a bath to slow things down a bit.

madremia09 Fri 23-Oct-09 20:00:39

oh and i had her in spain so have no idea of the procedure here...

x-posted a bit there. Ooh you might be a bit fast then! ring at the first twinge. wink

MrsTittleMouse Fri 23-Oct-09 20:44:47

Ah! I can see why you're concerned. It's always good to phone the hospital anyway, as they like to know that you're coming. I know about a couple of emergency births in real life and the midwives have stayed on the phone with the father to guide him as the ambulance is on its way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now