Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
Early Induction..?(13 Posts)
I have SPD and the hospital have agreed definately not to let me go overdue. They offered to induce me at 39 weeks, or even slightly before. I said no, but since that appointment it is nearly unbearable. I have another appointment and a growth scan on Monday. The consultant said that as much as the early induction is on offer, I have to accept that I could be putting my son at risk and that he might have to go to the special care unit if I have him at 39 weeks, never mind before.
I'm now seriously thinking about it. DP supports me entirely, and his theory is that he was 12 weeks early and is (reasonably ) normal and healthy.
Am I being totally selfish to be considering this? I know I should be grateful that I have a healthy baby and he's doing well, and I truly truly am. But the pain is getting so bad now.
Does anyone have an experiences of early inductions, or even early births, to help me sort out the multitude of thoughts driving me bonkers please?!
Thanks in advance
Hello my lovely!
(I know I owe you an email, but meantime I couldn't let this go unanswered )
I was induced, so I know a bit about that. But not much about early induction. All I know is, they are usually keen for you to hang on as long as possible, for the babies benefit. And I think it's not just the baby being born earlier than perhaps it would have been naturally. It's also the induction itself which carries risks, and that applies whether you are induced at 37 weeks or 42 weeks. Because the drip often used in inductions gives you 'fake' contractions, the unusual strength and frequency of them means that the baby can get a bit stressed out in there. And of course you can't move around because of all the monitoring, which means your little one can't do all the twisting and turning needed to help him move down the birth canal. Which means that you could end up with a C-section, because either the baby is distressed (his heartbeat increasing or decreasing on the monitor) or because he simply isn't budging! Heh. I know they've been doing it for years, but ladies down always give birth that easily on their backs, which is often (though not always) what ends up happening with an induction.
So, basically even if you hold on til 40 weeks, you'll still have to think these things through and how you feel about them. There is no right or wrong choice, and no of course you're not being selfish. You just have to balance all the different factors, and I know that's very hard.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will pop along soon - if they haven't already by the time I click 'post'!
But you are doing REALLY well, and I know you and DP will have carefully considered whatever you do.
Oh yes, and I have a couple of really tiny newborn gros for you, just in time perhaps!
Chin up, my dear.
I may well be shouted down for not knowing what I'm talking about, but isn't your baby very nearly full term at 39 weeks? I've known a few babies who have arrived naturally one or two weeks early - they've all been fine.
39 weeks isn't that early. When I needed to be induced the aim was to get me to 38 weeks which we just about managed.
DD was born of her own accord at 37 weeks and even she wasn't classed as early.
39 weeks is regarded as term.
I can't see why being induced at 39 weeks would be any different to being induced at 40 weeks, or having a cs at 38 weeks....
pre 37 weeks is premature. 39 weeks certainly isn't.
Thanks everyone, really appreciate it. So general consensus is that the consultant would just be telling me the risks of any childbirth, then, really?
Ds2 was induced at 38 weeks (almost 39) because there was a risk of shoulder dystocia. At no point did anyone mention anything about him possibly needing the special care unit. He was absolutely fine and we were both discharged the following day.
Just to throw something else into the mix... One of the things that triggers labour is the presence of a protein produced by the baby's lungs that indicates that they are mature. So, the start of spontaneous labour at term is in itself an indication that the baby is ready. This might be one reason why waiting as long as possible is a good idea, even though 37 weeks plus is full term for many babies when they arrive of their own accord. However, it is a complex interplay of many factors, and then of course you have to factor in all the things relevant to your own personal situation. Also how certain are you that your dates are right?
Sorry to hear you are suffering so badly . Not long now, whatever you decide.
anything over 38 weeks is regarded as term, so I don't know what your consultant was on about
mine were induced at 37 and 36 weeks respectively- neither needed special care unit
and if you have a sensible hospital you can still move around a fair bit after you've been induced: I sloped off for a warm bath after my contractions had started and then the fire alarm went so spent the early stages of labour in a freezing hospital foyer looking at firemen
yes, you have to be monitored but not constantly, and there are ways of monitoring that still enable you to move around
I'm very certain about the dates
Cory I could so handle being surrounded by firemen Though DP might disapprove slightly!!
I didn't know about the protein, thank you for that information I have the growth scan on Monday anyway as he's measuring slightly small, and an appointment after with the consultant, so will discuss it with him then, but hearing from everyone is helping me prepare for it all!!
Hope your appointment goes well and that your SPD eases a little.
hey erika - my growth scan at 39 weeks showed approximately 7lb 4 baby. 2.5 weeks later I birthed a 9lb 11oz bruiser ! They are really quite inaccurate at this stage.
Also 39 weeks is considered term like other posters have said.
Hi erika, the other thing to consider is that you might not be favourable for induction. I had high bp on dd2. It was controlled by medication but I had to stay in hospital towards the end of the pregnancy.
I was reviewed for induction around 38 weeks and again at 39 weeks but they didn't go ahead with it as it would not have been successful.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.