Talk

Advanced search

talk to me about sweeps please

(10 Posts)
2bamum Fri 23-Oct-09 13:20:50

Just really wondering why I should have one? have had 2 dcs allready both late mw want to do a sweep next week.

It would be really convenient to deliver during the day but since I know it's going to happen anyway why not just wait?

(Baby is still really high and I have fast labours-might be relevant)

preggersslaysandchops Fri 23-Oct-09 13:27:45

I had a sweep at 10am I remember and started contractions the same afternoon. I had to have another one (rather more vigorous!) to really get things moving in hospital and DS was born at 4am the next day.

I have heard that they only work if you are ready to give birth imminently anyway, so they are not guaranteed results.

They are optional of course so if you don't fancy it, you don't have to take them up on it.

OddEyes Fri 23-Oct-09 13:34:00

I had sweeps with my dcs. Late with first, had two, second one worked. Then with dc2 wanted to get things going before an early induction they started things going but was induced in the end anyway but only with gel and delivered quickly vs waiting for days for induction process and the dreaded drip.
i really appreciated them as firstly i got to know where things were up to, put my head in a better place, closed and hard ie not in these next few days vs 2cm soft etc. Secondly becasue they seemed to get things going with each had two and at the second was always much further on than where I would have been naturally.
hope this helps - best wishes

mummamango Wed 28-Oct-09 11:54:38

Was due yesterday and have appointment with doctor tomorrow to discuss sweep. Am feeling scared and very reluctant to agree to this.

When I was given my due date I was told this could mean the baby will come 2 weeks either side of this day - so what's the rush to do a sweep?

Also, am worried this will lead to further induction procedures - which will mean I'm not allowed to give birth in the Natural Birth Centre I had planned.

Surely it's better to let baby come when he's good and ready?

Any advice thoughts much appreciated.

BornToFolk Wed 28-Oct-09 12:01:37

I had a sweep and it didn't do anything. Although I was induced in the end, I don't think the sweep had anything to do with it. I could have had just the sweep and refused anything else. Or refused sweep and gone for the induction.

hobnob57 Wed 28-Oct-09 12:18:00

I don't think that the sweep necessarily leads to further induction procedures - unless you agree to them.

I had 2 (or 3?) sweeps with DD and they didn't work, but perhaps made my induction progress quicker? Not sure.

This time I'm avoiding induction so have been booked in for a sweep at 40 and 41 weeks to see if we can speed things up a bit (DD was induced 14 days late).

Alternatively you can hold out for labour to start naturally and are perfectly within your rights to do so. Request expectant management with placental function scans and they should let you go as overdue as you need to before labour naturally starts (or they feel it's in baby's best interests to intervene if placental function or fluid levels start to drop). So I suppose that carries with it a higher risk of CS perhaps. It all depends on that old chestnut of whether they come when they're ready.

Fibilou Wed 28-Oct-09 13:49:57

"Was due yesterday and have appointment with doctor tomorrow to discuss sweep. Am feeling scared and very reluctant to agree to this."

Don't agree to it then, they can't make you ! You're only 1 day overdue and there is no way I'm having any sweeps - euphemism for stripping of the cervical membranes shock- until I am 2 weeks overdue.

Fibilou Wed 28-Oct-09 13:51:29

Interestingly preganancies in Scandinavia aren't considered overdue until 42 weeks, not 40 as here.

mummamango Sat 31-Oct-09 03:33:22

Hmm problem is after 42 weeks they reckon risks to baby increase (lack of fluid, placenta breaks down) - so would it be better to go with a sweep before 42 weeks and try to avoid more induction / C sec? hmm

Grendle Sat 31-Oct-09 11:25:03

Ah, but ask yourself in a normal low risk pregnancy, how big is that increased risk? The stillbirth risk apparently doubles, but from something like 1 in 2000 to 1 in 1000, so still not huge in absolute terms. The evidence for that actually isn't top quality etiher. Changes in placental functioning and fluid levels can be measured by ultrasound scan too.

Also, how accurate are your dates?

Just a few other things to consider really. If you don't want a sweep and/or other induction procedures then you don't have to have them. It is your decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now