Talk

Advanced search

labour induction - pessary or drip what is the difference?

(7 Posts)
FrostyTheSnowgirl Thu 22-Oct-09 23:08:20

Just out of interest as my sis is being induced in the morning via drip but when I was it was pessary.....

LittlePeanut Thu 22-Oct-09 23:13:31

IME the pessary is slower, gets it going gradually and sort of more naturally, by softening the cervix.

The drip brings on contractions quite quickly and painfully (depending on the level - they can turn it down if it starts happening too quickly). With me, they put me on the drip after they broke my waters.

FrostyTheSnowgirl Thu 22-Oct-09 23:16:26

i thought it may be a quicker way because i was taken in the night before and she isnt until the morning, ty little peanut

MrsArchieTheInventor Thu 22-Oct-09 23:22:56

Hi Frosty - I had both with both children. The pessary was inserted first, they waited a couple of hours to see how I 'progressed' on my own, and then the drip was started and turned up at 20 minute intervals until my contractions reached a certain level. They also broke my waters manually inbetween pessary and drip with both children too.

LittlePeanut Thu 22-Oct-09 23:28:55

MrsATI - exactly the same as me, I've now had 2 children and both were induced in that same way.

MrsArchieTheInventor Thu 22-Oct-09 23:36:43

LittlePeanut - I was strangely excited at the prospect of going into labour 'on my own' with DD but at 12 days overdue 'twas not to be. Did you have the same feeling by any chance?

LittlePeanut Thu 22-Oct-09 23:45:53

Bit different for me, I was induced early in both cases as I had obstetric cholestasis. But I was the same in that I was really hoping that second time around I wouldn't have the condition, and that I would have that "ooh, I think the baby is coming!" moment.

It wasn't to be for me either though! I can't complain though - two babies safely delivered, and that's all that really matters of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now