Talk

Advanced search

Water birth with baby in posterior position

(11 Posts)
wapa Thu 22-Oct-09 19:17:28

Hello mums and mums to be
Has anyone had any experience with water births, and with the baby in posterior position? (This is my first post so I am still getting up to speed with the posting lingo wink
Would appreciate any comments on any type of water birth and/or experiences with baby in this position

thisisyesterday Thu 22-Oct-09 19:18:56

i laboured in the water with ds2 who was posterior, but got out to have him

the labour was 6 hours start to finish, and he didn't turn either, he was born op. lots of backache in early stages, and a fairly long pushing bit (1.5 hrs)
but overall wasn't too bad
he was a big baby with a big head too, that didn't help lol

AnnieLobeseder Thu 22-Oct-09 19:20:41

What's posterior? If it's back to back, that's what DD2 was. I had her at home in water, and even though she was back to back she was still way, way easier to push out than DD1, who was supposedly optimally postioned! I had DD1 lying flat on my back on a hospital bed and was exhausted from 27 hours of labour so it was hell! DD2 was a dream birth by comparison. Water rocks!

wapa Thu 22-Oct-09 19:23:33

I went along to the hospital information session last night and the midwife encouraged the water birth - I am very worried about tearing and grazing and one of the big selling points was the water birth softens tissue and apparently reduces tearing - have you found this to be the case?
(AnnieL - yep, posterior, according to my book, is back to back..

Lotster Thu 22-Oct-09 23:50:59

My first birth was OP positioning too, and I also laboured in the water but got out to have him, assisted by forceps.

Although I do regret the forceps, I must say water was a great relief as OP labour can be a bit more painful. But water and G&A were brilliant and I went to 10cms in the water before having to go to theatre.
Whether you can deliver in the water or not, it's definitely the way to start!

One tip in case the suite isn't one with a bed in too; they made me get out for examinations and walk to the room where the bed was each time, not great getting back in to a damp dressing gown each time and stopping halfway up the corridor for a contraction with nowhere to plug my G&A mask!

Good luck
Only afterwards did I remember that on the tour the lady said they could make a "nest" from pillowa in the corner of the pool room to save this, but my MW was freelance and didn't know..

Lotster Thu 22-Oct-09 23:51:36

Soz, "Good luck" should have been at the end!

schiaparellipink Fri 23-Oct-09 21:33:00

both my kids were back to back, the first was yanked out with forceps following a failed ventouse attempt. i had an epidural so it didn't hurt at the time, though recovery was longer. second time around i had baby in water at hospital, lovely experience, it really helped with the pain which was all in my lower back again. after the first experience where i had all the drugs they could give me, i did it without anything at all.
i tore like a bastard though - it was classed as second degree but i think it was literally mms away from venturing into sphincter territory. so i'm not sure i'm convinced re: the water = no tearing theory, i think if it's going to happen it will no matter where you deliver.

MrsTittleMouse Fri 23-Oct-09 21:35:18

I used water for pain relief with DD1 who was posterior - it was heaven to get the weight off my back and I didn't need anything else to cope. Sadly, I had to get out of the water as things my labour stopped, but I'd really recommend it as a coping mechanism.

Lotster Fri 23-Oct-09 22:13:01

Ahh hi Mrs T! Long time no see.

MrsTittleMouse Sat 24-Oct-09 12:53:11

Hello!
I was a bit (a lot) put off by the Daily Mail thing. I am trying not to get suckered into again, but obviously failing. grin

wapa Sat 24-Oct-09 23:05:13

Thanks all! Baby is breech at the moment and I heard somewhere that it is likely to go posterior - does this sound familiar?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now