Talk

Advanced search

i'm terrified and my consultant won't listen !

(12 Posts)
tink08 Thu 22-Oct-09 18:05:41

Hi ladies some of you may have heard from me before . I am still carrying dd2 i'm 35+ weeks at the moment with very labile blood pressure and i am now on 1500mg methyldopa a day !! I am having to go in for monitoring every 48 hours and i was admitted again (6th time) this tuesday just gone sad because they still can't regulate my bp . Readings were around the 150/110 mark . I was also showing plus one protein on tuesday .
The registrar i keep seeing has said all along she wants me to get to 37 weeks ( if bp does'nt get too serious) and then will deliver me which was fine by me .
However she had my consultant (her boss) come see me when i was admitted this week and he is adamant he will not authorise delivery until 39+ weeks and has schelduled me for 39+2 !!!!!
I am petrified becasue i developed pre-eclampsia with dd1 between weekw 37-38 and had a very stre4ssful and scary c section at 38 weeks . I was admitted to intensive care and seperated from baby it was awful !
Anyway everyone has promised me all along that they will not allow that to happen again but this pregnancy it definatly going down that path .
Sorry for the long post but does anyone have any advice to try and get through to my consultant that an earlier 37/38 week section would hopefully avoid any nasty preeclamsia / intensive care business ?
Anyone been through the same ?
I have to go back to the hospital in the morning for more monitoring and i know they will just increase my methyldopa again but its not doing anything to control my bp angry

eastendmummy Thu 22-Oct-09 19:40:08

I don't have anything helpful to say tink08 but I'm sure that someone will be along soon to help you so I'm bumping this for you in the meantime. Best of luck for tomorrow

tink08 Thu 22-Oct-09 20:15:02

thanks eastendmummy smile

beautifulgirls Thu 22-Oct-09 20:15:47

Can you ask for another opinion from someone else?

littleducks Thu 22-Oct-09 20:22:56

Who normally sees you at monitoring? If you see registrar again you could discuss it with her as it was her reassurance

You dont have to take the meds, im not staying stop to be clear, but if they doi say we will up the dose of such and such you can calmly say say, "No, i dont thinks its woking for me, I dont want an increased dose' and then discuss all your options fully. Keep asking what all the options available are, and what happens if you do nothing.

littleducks Thu 22-Oct-09 20:24:18

and after discussing it properly you may decide and increased dose is sensible but make sure you get a proper discussion not fobbed off

wilkos Thu 22-Oct-09 20:30:22

discuss it tomorrow. remember that as the woman carrying this baby you have a say in whatever happens. you really cannot be passive about this.

find out why this decision has been made and go from there.

does seem a bit odd to me, as you had pre eclampsia at 37/ 38 weeks last time. do make sure they know that!

good luck

drpip Thu 22-Oct-09 20:41:03

I'm no obstetrician, but it seems pretty unreasonable to make you wait until 39+2, especially given your history. Obstetricians seem to excel in poor communication, which is suprising given the letiginous nature of their work.

There are other drug options out there, so I think you'd be well within your rights to point out that you're on a massive dose of methydopa that doesn't seem to be helping. You can also ask for a second opinion. Maybe take a list of questions with you to remind yourself, and maybe DP or a friend??

Sometimes doctors need to be reminded to explain and discuss things properly. Afterall, it sounds like you went through hell last time, and are worried about your baby. Hope things go okay!

tink08 Thu 22-Oct-09 20:47:24

thanks ladies , they did try me on labetalol but it makes me vomit and shake so had to stick with methyldopa she did say there was another drug i could take along side methyldopa but the consultant said no ?
I have been seeing the same registrar but i'm under the consulatant officially so he has final say so apparently angry even she has said she disagrees with him but only when he's not around .

lou031205 Thu 22-Oct-09 21:14:10

It is tricky, tbh, because the risks for your baby are greatly reduced if a C-sec is delayed until 39. 37 weekers sometimes struggle with 'wet' lungs. But of course, the bigger picture is the health of you both. Be assertive, ask for clear rationale, and don't be bullied.

tink08 Fri 23-Oct-09 17:26:34

hi ladies i went up to be assesed this morning and my bp seems to be a bit better controlled today . Although my section date is still not booked angry
Theatre wont allow my consultant to book me in on the date he wants and he wont do it any earlier so its a bit of a stalemate at moment aparently but looks like all it will do is delay my section another day/week ! until 39+3/4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Midwifes have said i'll probably go into labour before then and then they'll have to section me but then it'll all be an emergency job sad

Yorky Fri 23-Oct-09 17:42:19

Sorry you're going through this Tink, I just wanted to say that my friend had pre-eclampsia in both her 1st 2 pregnancies but it set in later each time, 25 wks with 1st, 30something weeks with 2nd and she never actually got it with her 3rd so seeing as your pre-eclampsia started quite late last time maybe it will hold off long enough this time.
Fingers crossed for you, although the waiting for a decision to be made can't be doing your bp any good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now