Talk

Advanced search

My gas and air has arrived!

(9 Posts)
hairtwiddler Thu 22-Oct-09 14:29:10

Wasn't expecting it yet, as not 37 weeks for a week and a bit. Very exciting though, means DC2 may actually be born at home!
What else will I get in homebirth kit? Suppose there's no chance of a nice piece of brie and some wine?
No masks or tubing yet, so can't invite anyone round for a gas and air party grin

RainBOOJelly Fri 23-Oct-09 10:12:58

The midwife will fetch the tubing with her when she comes (unfortunately wink)

In my homebirth pack, there were all the "tools" needed by the midwives and other things like big square pads to put under you to soak up any mess. I had a cheapo shower curtain in there and some hospital towels. Def no brie!!! grin

My homebirth was fantastic - hope yours is too! smile

fruitspooksbatsintheeaves Fri 23-Oct-09 10:16:46

little tip ... don't start using it too early on...mine ran out shock

RainBOOJelly Fri 23-Oct-09 10:19:51

They delivered 3 little canisters to me - it was more than enough! grin

But I was so relaxed, I think I could have done without.

BunnyLebowski Fri 23-Oct-09 10:23:02

Wow I didn't get anything delivered before my home birth. Midwives brought all their supplies and a porter from the hospital brought the gas and air.

He had to make 3 round trips as I went through 6 canisters of the stuff and he had to keep bringing more! shock grin

Good luck!!!

hairtwiddler Fri 23-Oct-09 18:43:41

I have five cannisters of gas and air and one of oxygen. Apparently they last only 20mins each! Saw midwife today and yes they bring the tubing etc when you go into labour. She's going to drop off the rest of the kit when I'm 37 weeks exactly. The only thing I have to get is something to cover the floor... was thinking shower curtain of some kind with maybe old duvet/towels underneath...
Very excited about it now but worried about the time it'll take them to get to me. First labour was four hours. Apparently it takes about 1.5hours for them to get to the hospital to pick up the stuff then to me. Eeek!
Have told DH to read up on delivering babies.

SookehStackhouse Fri 23-Oct-09 20:36:11

Haha good plan!

Don't go mad on floor coverings etc. We only used an old bedsheet - there really wasn't that much mess!

Are you planning using a pool at all?

SookehStackhouse Fri 23-Oct-09 20:37:29

I was BunnyLebowski before on this thread btw smile

hairtwiddler Fri 23-Oct-09 21:04:32

No plan for pool. Last labour was so quick would only have managed to fill about a cm of one!
Midwife is so great - she was very positive about having DD in the house.
I asked her what her biscuit of choice was grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now