Talk

Advanced search

Induction didnt work for 1st baby-any point doing it for 2nd?

(5 Posts)
victoriascrumptious Wed 21-Oct-09 20:54:20

They induced me T+4 for dd1 due to blood pressure. I had the full 3 doses gel/pessaries. My cervix didnt shift. Ended up with a c-sec. Is there any point in me opting for a induction 2nd time around if I go overdue?

MrsHappy Wed 21-Oct-09 20:58:36

Would they induce you? At my local hospital they won't induce if you have a prior section.

FWIW, though, at only 40+4 you might not have been ready to labour. Had the BP not been an issue perhaps you would have gone into labour on your own, and next time maybe you will if you are left to it.

victoriascrumptious Wed 21-Oct-09 21:00:06

Oh really? I did not know that. Do you know why they wont induce if you've had a section before?

MrsHappy Wed 21-Oct-09 21:09:14

Hospital policies vary but there seems to be an increased risk of your scar coming apart with the drugs used for induction. So at my local hospital they will not use prostin (to induce and soften the cervix) but if you are near the end of things and need a little boost some of the consultants will (I am told) give a small amount of syntocin.

You're also more likely to have a successful VBAC if you go into labour by yourself.

The RCOG Green Top Guideline on this is quite helpful.

victoriascrumptious Wed 21-Oct-09 22:17:45

Thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now