Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
If you had a c-section for failure to progress in your first labout, what happened in your next labour?(26 Posts)
Am 14 weeks and had first consultant appointment today. Had very long labour with my first and got stuck at 4cm for 36 hours and she eventually got in distress. Consultant said that my chances of having a c-section second time round are higher because I didn't dilate very far first time round. Just wondering what other's experiences are? Thanks in advance.
I had a very similar first birth (only got to 4cms in a similar time frame and ended up with c section) and my consultant was very willing to let me go for a VBAC. I went along with this, but with the proviso that if it looked like things were going the same way as the first, then I wanted to have a c section rather than drag things out. I felt it was all the intervention (epidural, syntocin, breaking waters, etc)and the fact that the baby was OP that led to the stalling and eventual c section.
For my second, progress was initially slow and i had visions of it all going the same way and was demanding a c section, but then things suddenly escalated and I went from 4cms to delivery in about half an hour and delivered naturally! They may have got the 4cms measurement wrong as I was in alot of pain and having very frequent contractions, but luckily I was off my head on the gas and air.
It was a very different experience! and I was very pleased that the hospital was so happy to consider all options - in fact they seemed reluctant to just agree to a c-section without clear reasons why. They took a very 'suck it and see' approach, with all options on call.
Good luck and hope you get the birth you want.
I also got to 4cm for a long period of time with DD1 and ended up having a c-section.
With DD2, the consultant told me I was very unlikely to give birth naturally given my history.
That evening I went into labour - this time it was much shorter (around 7 hours compared to 22 hours last time), and I also went from 4cm to fully dilated very quickly - an hour or so.
I didn't need any stitches and didn't have any cuts or grazes either, with a very swift recovery. Like maisiestar, mine was a very different experience to the first.
Wishing you lots of luck with yours.
My dd1 was back to back and got stuck resulting in a c-section. I was determined to have an elective second time round but for some reason changed my mind and went for a vbac. Had tummy pains all day and then contractions kicked in. Got to the hospital and dd2 arrived an hour and a half later perfectlly normally.
Midwives were all aware of previous cs and knew to whisk me away the moment anything went wrong. Luckily it all happened pretty quickly. They won't let you labour too long in case it puts pressure on your old scar so don't be frightened of a long labour.
You might not dilate much again but then you might dilate all the way! Your second birth experience might be totally different. Mine was! Just go with whatever you want to do. They will be aware of your previous cs and will act accordingly. If you need another cs, so be it, it's the safest thing for your baby as you know. If you manage to have a normal delivery, good luck!
i was induced at +10 with first and gave birth via c sec after 3 days or so! didn't get past 6cm. just had ds2 vaginally 6 months ago after spontaneous labour. 11 days over took 12 hours. totally different - i was also so much more go with the flow second time round too. hardly had a birth plan
thanks all for the positive replies! really hope that I get my VBAC and a fast one at that!!
I got to 5cm and then similar experience to you.
Two subsequent babies, both elective cs thank you very much.
But then I am a wuss
Good luck whatever happens.
I was induced at 42wks for first - got to 9.5cm when she got stuck resulting in CS for failure to progress. Had everything going - epidural, pethidine etc. Was totally unprepared for the experinece.
Second time couldn't have been more different. Still overdue 40+10, but things kicked off normally with a slow start, about 30 hrs to get to 2-3cm. Had pethidine to get some kip, then really got going. Active labour 5.46 minutes with TENS and G&A, pushed her out in 31 minutes (only 'allowed' 30 ) Had some grazes and a tear but altogether a much more positive experience. Very happy with my VBAC.
As an aside, I had a colposcopy 6 years ago, and when I was examined before I was allowed to push, the midwife could feel a little triangle that was a bit resistant, am wondering if scar tissue caused my failure to progress first time round, but it could stretch for the second? Hmm sorry, just wondering.....
Anyway good luck with everything!!
Only 17 weeks but i am already terrified... i lost my waters on a tuesday and did not have any contractions at all until i was induced on a thursday (and of course emcs).
im really worried that my body doesnt know how to contract... this time around they wont induce me and at the first complication i have been told i will have a cs.
am tempted to not phone the hospital if my waters break and i dont have conmtractions... just to gain a few hours, if not a day... willl see
also im very worried i will have an instrumental delivery because i'm still a birth "virgin" iykwim so its not like my body knows how to do it...
I had failure to progress section first time, but decided on planned section at 40weeks with dc2, as nothing was happening and I didn't want to go overdue again (dc1 was BIG !)
Planned section was completely different experience. Civilised almost!! Good luck!!!
dd was an emcs after an induced labour at 40+10. Got to 7cm after 24 hrs then developed a fever and she got distressed. Notes said failure to progress - whole experience was pretty miserable.
Went into spontaneous labour at 38 weeks with ds - born 7 hrs later after some gas and air and a small episiotomy when the doctors got worried about his heart rate and threatened me with forceps. But happily no need. It was amazing - not quite as I'd imagined but great nonetheless and very healing after the trauma of dd's birth.
48 hours with DS1 - only got to 4cm and then induced and section after further 2 hours as he was distressed. He was OP although I didn't know until seeing consultant at 34 weeks with DS2 to discuss elective. Opted for VBAC after finding out he was OP and so it wasn't really 'me' not being able to deliver normally. Went into labour at 39+3 with DS2 and got to 8cm in 3 hours! Stalled a bit at this point but start to finish took 7 hours. Brilliant - so much better than first time.
36 hours with DD1 ending with emcs for failing to progress.
Booked elcs at 39 weeks for DD2 but she had other plans and I went into labour at 38 weeks - no time for cs, first twinge to delivery in 2hrs 55 minutes!
loving this thread, also had emergency section after 24 hours of labour and trying to push baby out at 7cm dilated! good to know bad first time doesn't reflect secod time round!
You are monitored much more closely for VBAC and at the slightest concern you will be whisked away for CS. Failure to progress (what a nasty nasty term... obvioulsy a man thought of that) is usually a reflection of the position of the baby (usually posterior ) so not enough pressure on cervix making you dilate. It is not like the baby got stuck half way out, which would maybe indicate there is a difficulty with your shape pelvis...
See how it goes- if you go for VBAC they will not let you go overdue. Also, (this is just my opinion...) talk to your baby, tell him / her to just get his head down and tuck his chin in, and you will do the rest.... LOL I dont know if that will help but sometimes the posterior babies try to push out with their little faces and that doesnt work at all!!!
Here is what happened to me. 36 hour labour with back to back baby and failure to progress ending in Emergency C section. DC2 was a 12 hour labour also back to back but a much better outcome...here is the story. Hope it helps you think positively.
i had an emergency section with dd1 cos after 17 hours labour (induction), dd1's head was coming thru the birth canal looking upwards. i really wanted a natural birth with dd2, i had a few consultants oppointments to keep an eye on dd2 and her head throughout my pg. i had a sweep on my 7th overdue day and went in the same day for induction and had my dd2 on the 9th overdue day - very slow natural birth. i felt with dd1 it was a very fast labour so maybe thats why she trying to come out awkward.
DS1 was a long latent-ish pre-labour, when we went into hosp they gave me a while, then did an ARM followed by epidural and augmentation. DS1 went into distress and c/s followed. I was 4cm.
DS2 - waters broke Sun pm, went in for induction Thu pm when Gp B strep was diagnosed. Induction started Friday early am, DS2 born Sat 10pm after many many threats of c/s. Long but ultimately good VBAC.
Was baby back to back or in an awkward position, did you have any intervention at all, induction, epidural etc?
i had a similar birth on dc1 , only reached 4cm then nothing more for over 20 hours until baby went into distress had an emergency c-section . second birth (4 weeks early) waters broke & 10 hours later i never dilated at all but my cervix softened (tmi) & i was taken in for another c-section . hope all goes well for you x
This is really encouraging as I had a c section after failing to progress after 28 hours and I am now trying for anouther baby. I would like to try for a vbac in future but I dont want to go through all that again with the same outcome! I am hoping I will get the option to try for a VBAC at least!
DC1 was back to back, I got fully dilated but she didn't decend at all=emcs . DC2 i decided to try for VBAC and it was exactly the same! back to back and didn't decend at all.
I'm now PG again and have consultant app in 4 weeks, I am very nervous about another VBAC, as far as the evidence shows I am a funny shape, which won't have changed!
Having said that if I had a ELCS planned and then went into labour prior, I would be willing to go for a bit and see if this one is postioned differently. Is it possible to have scans to check your shape?
I only got to 4cm the first time,spontaneous labour and 4 hours on synto.
2nd baby,tried a vbac but didn't progress again,the hospital were happy for me to keep going but after 24hrs and still 3cm I wa begging for a section.
It seems my cervix just doesn't dilate. The 2nd section was more like an elective and it was really wonderful. My DS was 10lb 6oz and 61cm so I was relieved!
They held the screen down so we could discover the sex ourselves...magical!
Fwiw I'm glad I had a go at Vbac.
Vbac, but had to ignore medical advice and lie to doctors to get it
twas a long time ago tho
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.