Talk

Advanced search

Is this labour?

(59 Posts)
melonian Mon 19-Oct-09 22:39:21

Oh God, this is one of those really annoying "is it or isn't it" threads, but is anybody around to hold my hand while my body makes up its mind?

Have been having Cx about every 10 min for 1 1/2 hrs. Feel like period pains at the mo, can type through them. Diff from 1st labour which was all in my back. Am 39 + 5, but 1st baby was induced 2 weeks late so have nothing to compare it to.

Haven't had any show, waters or anything, BH have gradually been getting stronger but not this ouchy over past few days, usually get more this time in the evening.

Don't know whether to bounce & twiddle my nips to try & get things going or chill & try to rest. Would really like to know as I don't have much in the way of childcare options - my mum is 3hrs away. Have the HB stuff here but if I had to go to hosp before my mum gets here then would have to go on my own while DH waits with DS.

Can anyone chat with me or give advice while I see which way this is going to go?

Thankyou!

LadyOfTheFlowers Mon 19-Oct-09 22:42:04

If it was me and you are not in any major pain, I would try to get some sleep.

If it is labour it will continue, if it isn't it will stop.

I know it is hard as you want it to just get on with it if it is!

melonian Mon 19-Oct-09 22:48:02

Oh thankyou for keeping me company

I know you are prob right but the pains are quite twingy, don't think I could sleep through them unless I got really tired. Don't want to go to bed and keep DH awake, then it all dies down & he has to go to work in the morning. Will watch some more crap telly & hope it settles soon & I can snooze.

Ewe Mon 19-Oct-09 22:52:25

Maybe a nice bath? If it's real labour it'll ease the pain, if it's not, it'll probably die down.

Or something like that! Can't remember the exact wording but remember being told it many times after several false starts. Or doze if possible, am sure your Dh won't mind if you're a bit restless!

Poledra Mon 19-Oct-09 22:57:48

Just because you haven't had a show or waters doesn't mean it's not labour - in both my spontaeous onset labours, my show and waters didn't come till labour was established.

I'd go for the bath, or rest on the sofa with some crap telly, if you definitely can't sleep.

Good luck!

melonian Mon 19-Oct-09 23:12:18

Still coming every 10 min, more when I got up & went for a wee.

Would be so chuffed if this is it - was resigned to being really overdue again. And must be a sign things are moving in the right direction, even if it's not going to be tonight.

Have got some pillows and am going to snuggle down on the sofa and doze when I get tired - am quite excited at the mo! Am sure will not be quite so excited in the morning when has all petered out and have had no sleep and have to deal with toddler all day.

Thanks all for replying

melonian Mon 19-Oct-09 23:39:41

Seem to be about every 8 min now - oh could this be it? More sore as well - fingers crossed!

Am playing on contraction master, is a good distraction. Am also v.pleased that Thomas Crown is on tonight - I love that film.

Poledra Mon 19-Oct-09 23:41:49

Would love to stay up and keep you company - however, have to go to bed so I can deal with my monsters in the morning.

Keep updating, the Twilighters will be in soon and I'll want to know what happened too smile

Best of luck!

liahgen Mon 19-Oct-09 23:59:50

ok 20 minutes has passed. What is occuring?

melonian Tue 20-Oct-09 00:01:27

Helllooo - is anybody out there? Feeling a bit lonely.

Cx every 8-10 mins for 3h now, def getting more painful - breathing through them. Don't know whether to phone my mum but know if I do all will immediately tail off.

Oh God I haven't shaved my legs for about 2 weeks they are like forests. If I get in the shower now will wake DH.

liahgen Tue 20-Oct-09 00:03:36

run a nice warm bath, take your time in there and do your tidying up, legs, armpits, whatever else, wink

Would mum have somewhere to sleep and would it be the end of the world if it turns out to be nothing, could she sat a couple of days anyway?

How long are they lasting?

melonian Tue 20-Oct-09 00:09:10

Oh thanks for replying. Right am going to get in bath like I should have at 22.30 as I was advised by wise MNers. Will be back if things continue.

Mum can sleep on blow up bed here but she is supposed to be working tomw - would feel v.guilty if its a false alarm. There's no rush but I don't like the thought of her driving all that way at 2.00 this morning.

Thanks again for your support.

Countingthegreyghouls Tue 20-Oct-09 00:11:16

Hello Melonian if you are still on-line ...

er, I, um, don't know a thing about labour (had one c-section) so cannot advise but I am here (I'm Mmsnetting working)

8-10 mins is getting quite frequent isn't it?

Um (thinks frantically) are you advised to leave for hospital when they are every 5 mins (in which case would call your mum now if you think pains are established (which, um, I guess they are if they've been going on and strengthening for more than an hour)

oh dear, I don't know what I am talking about but wishing you well and loads of luck and fingers and toes crossed for you (am "ripping up sheets and boiling water" in a cyber sort of way xxx

bumping for someone who does know their cervix from their elbow!!

Happy to "hold your hand" if no-one else appears though!!!

xxxx

liahgen Tue 20-Oct-09 00:11:34

no prob. Enjoy the bath, if you manage to doze in there, all the better.

off to bed now, will look out at about 7am.

It's HB yes? Good, no need to go anywhere then.

Oh yes, rest, wee lots, snack if you feel like it and drink lots. <<lays Doula hat on side ready for morning>>

Countingthegreyghouls Tue 20-Oct-09 00:13:04

Oh x posts with Liaghen - that sounds very sensible and calm advice -

Enjoy your bath!!

Will be here for a while yet

cathcat Tue 20-Oct-09 00:13:12

How far away is your mum? I think this could be it grin.
Got my fingers crossed for you! Good luck.

Countingthegreyghouls Tue 20-Oct-09 00:14:21

Oh sorry - am hopeless - hb means home-birth of course!!

Just ignore my ramblings ....blush

cathcat Tue 20-Oct-09 00:16:19

And I just realised you already said your mum is 3 hours away. <<clonks head in clown fashion>>
Well, good luck, really hope it all goes well!

liahgen Tue 20-Oct-09 00:16:40

grin ghouls what work do you do that keeps you up at this hour? I've had row with dh that's why I'm still up.

I am trying to go to bed, could you not have held off till morning, I have no plans for tomorrow morning. smile

liahgen Tue 20-Oct-09 00:17:30

my last message completely did not make sense as lola would say hmm

Countingthegreyghouls Tue 20-Oct-09 00:24:03

work that I should have got done during daylight hours Liaghen (sigh)

Could not get my brain in gear today - office v. noisy - will be brain-dead tomorrow but will be worth it.

I can't ever sleep after I've had a row either ...funny how men do manage though after about ..oh ... 30 seconds of introspection grin

and don't worry - we understood!

Sorry Melonian ..back to more important things such as your labour ...!!

liahgen Tue 20-Oct-09 00:26:46

she is bathing I think. Hopefully neck deep in warm water.

If you are ctx in bath, turn to your side so that your whole bump is covered or kneel and lean forward for ctx.

Sometimes a jug of water over bump during ctx is good too.

cathcat Tue 20-Oct-09 00:29:59

I have a vision of melonian out of her bath, dripping with water, checking updates from posters...
Really going to bed now, will check here tomorrow.

melonian Tue 20-Oct-09 00:38:22

Oh it's so lovely that you are here. Still about the same, having to concentrate on Cx but they are only lasting about 45sec-1min. At least I'm all clean and de-fuzzed now. Ooooh I so hope this is it - 3 1/2 hrs is quite long to have regular Cx if not isn't it?

Thankyou for the company & advice.

melonian Tue 20-Oct-09 00:42:02

Finding it a bit weird that I have hardly any back pain when last time I felt it all in my back - don't know if it was back to back labour or not.

If I need to use the TENS later do I still put the pads on my back? Cx are really quite sore now but feel absolutely normal in between - have urge to clean house up in case midwife is coming tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now