Talk

Advanced search

homebirth and c sections

(4 Posts)
graciem Mon 19-Oct-09 10:44:51

is it more common to need a c section if mw decides to transfer you to hospital from homebirth.

moaningminniewhingesagain Mon 19-Oct-09 10:49:48

Perhaps, but only as far as they send you in because the labour needs help so you may need some kind of intervention. As if they thought you were going to have a straightforward birth you would stay at home, IYKWIM.

What intervention is needed, will vary depending on what the problem is. eg is baby stuck? Or just a bit distressed so they want to be in hospital in case baby is unwell when born. I transferred for lack of progress with DS and I did have a CS but it was because I was a VBAC and I demanded another CS rather than let them break my waters etc.

theyoungvisiter Mon 19-Oct-09 10:58:07

How do you mean - do you mean, would the problem be better handled if you were in hospital from the outset?

IMO no, I think you get better monitoring at home, and they are usually more willing to try practical methods of solving whatever the problem is, before calling for intervention.

So I think the same problem encountered in hospital is more likely to end up in a section than if encountered at home. But of course, if there are problems you will be transferred and any major problem can end up as a section.

I say all this not as an expert, but just from anecdotal observations of my own and friends' experiences at home and in hospital.

MrsHappy Mon 19-Oct-09 13:16:54

If it helps, there is research suggesting that planning a homebirth (even if it does not happen) gives you a better chance of avoiding cs than planning a hospital birth. See here, for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now