Talk

Advanced search

Being sterilised during section - is it possible?

(11 Posts)
alibobs0302 Sat 17-Oct-09 18:50:07

I am due to have my 2nd baby in 5 weeks and I have hated every minute of this pregnancy due to SPD and major back pain. I am having to have another section as both my babies were ans are breech plus i dont have a lot of fluid. I really dont want anymore babies so can i be sterilised at the same time as my section??

sarah293 Sat 17-Oct-09 18:52:13

Message withdrawn

alibobs0302 Sat 17-Oct-09 18:56:12

totally sure. We are happy to have 2 children plus we couldnt afford another one and our house is bursting at the seams now as it is. I might discuss this with my midwife.
Have you had it done?

sarah293 Sat 17-Oct-09 18:57:26

Message withdrawn

scottishmummy Sat 17-Oct-09 18:58:39

it is highly unlikely this will be offered.you would need to be counselled properly and have post operative recovery from CS before undertaking more surgery

also i read somewhere that sterilisation immediately after childbirth has higher failure rate

justaboutautumn Sat 17-Oct-09 18:58:51

Message withdrawn

scarlotti Sat 17-Oct-09 19:07:44

It is not recommended as everything inside is a bit swollen and so the chance of success is lower. The recommendation is to wait at least 6 months.

You will also have had to have tried using the mirena or normal coil for at least a year before you qualify on the nhs.

alibobs0302 Sat 17-Oct-09 19:14:31

I have had the minrena coil before due to painful periods plus i have endometriosis. I caught really quickly with my first but had problems with trying to get pregnant with this one and had to have surgery again which was successful but i really dont want to go through anymore operations if i can help it. I know i am very lucky to have my gorgeous children but i dont want anymore. I may have to discuss the snip for my hubbie instead!grin

justaboutautumn Sat 17-Oct-09 19:14:58

Message withdrawn

scarlotti Sat 17-Oct-09 19:49:48

Justaboutautumn - maybe so, am only going on what the doc told me at my 31 wk check 6 weeks ago. He looked it up on the nhs website but it might well be area dependent - so much is!

Alibobs - doc told me we'll speak at my 6 wk check after birth, I definitely don't want anymore and hubby won't have the snip. You can have it done, but there is the risk that your tubes are swollen and so it's less successful than if not. A risk you can take if you want though!

alibobs0302 Sun 18-Oct-09 06:11:56

hi all, thanks so much for your comments its given me food for thought!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now