Talk

Advanced search

Please can you recommend some books on childbirth?

(10 Posts)
saltyseadog Fri 16-Oct-09 21:48:26

It will have been almost 6 years since I had dd when I have dc2 <eek> and I am feeling a little out of the loop about childbirth and would really like to do some reading before my due date.

Please can you recommend some good childbirth books?

pipWereRabbit Fri 16-Oct-09 22:15:14

My favourite baby book is 'Birth and Beyond' by Yehudi Gordon.
It's a huge great book, covering pregnancy through to childbirth, to living with a small baby. It has special chapters on siblings, grandparents, yoga, and a whole encyclopedia of childhood and maternal illnesses. Basically it's a fab reference book, but presented in a very easy to read way.

TeamEdward Fri 16-Oct-09 22:19:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saltyseadog Sat 17-Oct-09 21:02:34

Thanks both The Stand And Deliver book sounds perfect.

Any more for any more?

Quavers Sun 18-Oct-09 12:23:00

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Fantastic book.

ruddynorah Sun 18-Oct-09 12:29:42

anything by sheila kitzinger here

LolaAnn Sun 18-Oct-09 13:01:29

second Ina May's guide to childbirth amazon has it.

swottybetty Sun 18-Oct-09 14:29:14

ina may ina may ina may!

the guide to childbirth is just fantastic. i wish i'd read it before dd's birth, just thankful MNers pointed me in right direction when preg with ds. it gave me the confidence to believe i could give birth naturally. i really trusted my body after reading, and re-reading, and re-reading that book!

the only other book i found helpful (and i read loads and loads of them) was by juju sumin and is called birthskills. it's basically different pain managament techniques. good practical stuff.

LittleSilver Sun 18-Oct-09 21:02:12

"Homebirth" by, er, someone. Very good book!

Echo "Ina May" chant.

But don't go near "What to Expect". American-centric,neurotic, patronising, misleading, non-evidence-based drivel

saltyseadog Sun 18-Oct-09 23:07:25

Thanks everyone. I've ordered Ina May's book, and the Stand & Deliver book. Despatched today, so should get them soon (PO willing!). Exciting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now