Talk

Advanced search

help with packing my labour bag please

(25 Posts)
madmissy Fri 16-Oct-09 20:00:51

guessing i need to get going on sorting it out!
2x dd's but can't remember what i need! lol

also placenta previa so should have one on stand by in case i have a bleed i suppose

c sec is obv on cards so big knickers?

pads?

blush

funtimewincies Fri 16-Oct-09 20:26:56

Stuff for you (nighties, toiletries, etc)
Stuff for baby (including industrial cleaner for that first poo - 'plain water is fine' my arse!)

Food! I also got through a fair number of dextrose tablets.
Slippers/shoes that you don't have to bend down to do up.
Warm cardi for sitting up in bed if you're bf'ing.
Think of the number of pads you'll need and double it (I used two at a time, one on top of the other in huge knickers).

Book/ipod if you're in hospital for a few days.

More snacks.

That's as far as I've got with mine grin.

MrsHappy Fri 16-Oct-09 20:30:34

For you

Big knickers definitely
Lots of pads
2 sets of nightclothes
something to wear in labour (old t shirt)
socks
Cardigan or dressing gown
your own pillow
hairbands
lipsalve
water spray if you are that way inclined
your own towel and toiletries for after the birth
camera
hairbrush, toiletries, make up
contact lenses/glasses
earplugs
eye mask
snacks
nursing bra (and maybe a couple of pads)
your hand held notes
Going home clothes

For the baby
nappies
clothes
fold-up changing mat

MrsHappy Fri 16-Oct-09 20:31:05

Ah yes, maybe flip flops.

Besom Fri 16-Oct-09 20:36:19

Nighties with poppers down front
bed socks
dressing gown
big huge knickers
Nipple cream (Lanisoh)
snacks (for dp/birth partner mainly)

newborn sleepsuits
cotton wool
nappies

non essential:
i-pod
lavendar oil

Remember to take mobile phone/phone numbers

Can't think what else at the moment.

madmissy Fri 16-Oct-09 20:37:09

Ok so fair bit lol! Pads I know I will need heaps i'm a bleeder lol!

funtimewincies Sat 17-Oct-09 20:07:23

If you know you're having c-section and might be in a bit longer, it might be worth having 2 bags, one with the stuff that you'll need straight away and one with the extra clothes and things that you'll need after a day or 2 that your dp can bring in for you.

lal123 Mon 19-Oct-09 20:50:51

On the other hand.....!! DD arrived last Tuesday - I had a meticulously packed labour bag - didn't even manage to get it out of the car. I didn't need to bring in pads/nappies etc as all were provided by hospital.

Lozza70 Mon 19-Oct-09 21:01:57

If you are having a c-section big granny knickers and slip on shoes/slippers. I would not go for flip flops as they usually make you wear surgical stockings after surgery and its almost impossible to get flip flops on with your toes covered grin

aoifesmama Mon 19-Oct-09 21:23:08

If a c-section and you may be kept in for a while I'd bring a book. I know that sounds mad, but for the first couple of nights when I was on my own and DD was asleep and I couldnt my book was a lifesaver!

Mobile phone and charger too

Mybox Tue 20-Oct-09 09:32:06

If you can get your bedside table ready in advance so you have everything to hand. The first day/night it will be hard to move about.

JulesJules Tue 20-Oct-09 09:44:01

I would always recommend flipflops - double as slippers, and you can wear them in the shower - where you do not want to be going barefoot, [eww]

I also took blush a cool bag so DH could bring me loads of minimarsbarsM&S salads and fruit.

funtimewincies Tue 20-Oct-09 19:41:53

Congratulations lal123 grin and that's a very accomodating hospital you have there!

madmissy Wed 21-Oct-09 23:05:39

Well i'm in clear now with regards to placenta so natural back on! Started getting bits together but no bag lol!

spottystripey Wed 21-Oct-09 23:24:31

I second the idea of putting lipsalve into your bag. All that huffing and puffing left me with the driest of lips both times. I turned up fully dilated the first time so hadn't needed anything from my bag but that lipsalve would've been a godsend. Good luck with the big day!

thefortbuilder Thu 22-Oct-09 01:22:12

ARNICA ARNICA ARNICA - start taking it the day before your section is scheduled and then take it on the day and for 3 days after - it will help so much with the healing of your scar.

decent food and snacks
if you're having a section some polos, peppermint tea and dried fruit
books, magazines and your ipod and charger
phone and charger
credit card for the overpriced hospital phone that you will invariably have to use when you can't get reception on your phone - or if they have one of the fancy phone / tv systems that has internet access so you can MN!
camera - disposable one if needs be (pics always look better in black and white btw)
bit of makeup for those pics
lots and lots of pads
big knickers from primark or tesco (the only time i buy from primark and they are great)G&B chocolate

have your birth partner pack the bag so he / she knows where everything is

take a bag of essentials and then an extra one that can be got once you've had baby

for baby - more sleepsuits than you think you'll need!
newborn nappies
something nice and snuggly that you have slept with so it smells of you
hats - they seem to insist that you have to put a hat on and will provide one but it's nicer to have your own

am bound to remember more once I've posted!

good luck

MrsJamin Thu 22-Oct-09 08:49:31

I loved having a bag of percy pigs mmmm you need to keep your sugar levels up!

Poohbearsmom Thu 22-Oct-09 11:44:14

Best of luck!! I had an emergency c-section wit my 1st&natural (with an episotomy ) for my 2nd baby but was n only n hosp for less then 48hrs the 1st time & was a wk 2nd as baba no. 2 had to go to the n.i.c.u u can never really hav everything ul need so its important to hav things n easy to locate places at home so some1 can easily bring u more of what u want/need... All what every1 has listed seems gr8 but be careful wit da arnica ur not supposed to take it b4 labour incase u do hav to hav a section as it thins the blood & could cause excessive bleeding. But it is brilliant stuff to take after & i did both times... Also my ds2 was sick loads his 1st night & i flew thru clothes but one of the other Mums very kindly gave me a few bibs which was a real saver!!

funtimewincies Thu 22-Oct-09 19:51:17

Ooh, thanks for the lip-salve reminder, I'll bung that in my bag too!

Boogage Sat 24-Oct-09 18:55:57

I would say take bottles if you want to use a specific type. I'm going to try to breast feed again but I find it really hard and am going to try the First Years Breastflow bottles to help me if I need it.

Also I'm expecting a big baby so taking flannels to use as hot compresses as baby arrives and maybe even some lubricant!

Aromatheraphy oils maybe lavender, clary sage or neroli to help me relax.

Lollipops to suck to distract me a bit.

A nice big towel is a must.

I'm also packing headbands as well as hairbands as the little bits of hair flopping all over my face really bug me.

As for sanitary stuff I would definately buy loads of maternity pads as they are much thicker and padded. Mothercare ones are good but don't have wings so I layer these on top of always nighttime pads with wings that was you can extend the length of protection and still have something soft to sit on. I do bleed alot though. They said i was on the verge of hemoraging with my 2nd. Not sure how much blood I lost last time as it was all over by the time the midwives arrived and me and hubby delivered baby over the toilet!

Oh lastly I'd say take some of that hand sanitising gel just to be on the safe side. I know most hospitals have this on the ward anyway but you probably wont feel like moving too much so handy to have it by your side

kitkatcadaverqueen Sat 24-Oct-09 19:14:56

Hiya, make sure you take a straw with you so that whatever position you end up labouring in you can have a drink. Good luck

camflower Sun 25-Oct-09 16:00:43

couldn't have done without cool wet face flannel for brow mopping (or for simply covering your face so you can't see anyone!). i included a large packet of starbursts and san pellegrino on my birth plan

notjustapuppymum Sun 25-Oct-09 17:40:04

poohbearsmum I don't think that's correct about arnica.

I and many others I know have taken it before various surgeries and it does not cause any problems. The last anaesthetist I had confirmed as much.

mummyofthomas Sun 25-Oct-09 17:54:59

hi, congrats on your pregnancy and goodluck with the birth. just two things maybe a repeat of what others have already said :
hundreds more maternity pads than you think
and having an extra bag packed with some extra things for you e.g more big knickers and some extra body/sleepsuits for baby as I found my first went through so many of these and DH had no idea how to use washing machine or find more at home grin so that someone can grab it for you without an hassle.
oh and i'm gonna take wet wipes this time instead of cotton wool and water as their first poos are a nightmare to get off

NestaFiesta Mon 09-Nov-09 09:53:38

Dried fruit is the best tip I have as the consipation after a C-section is really horrible. I still have bad memories of it! Ask for lactulose and eat lots of dried apricots/sultanas/dates and drink gallons of water and fruit juice.

I'm due for my next section in 10 days and I'm all stocked up from Holland and Barret- I won't be caught out again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now