Talk

Advanced search

What are the chances of going into labour in the next 48 hours?

(14 Posts)
beanstalk Fri 16-Oct-09 17:54:15

I am 41+5 and booked in for an induction on Sunday, which I really wanted to avoid having been induced before.

So no signs of labour, other than a few crampy days over the last few weeks which came to nothing. I have been examined twice this week for a sweep but have been unable to have one. On Tuesday the Bishops score was 0, today it was 5 so some change but the baby's head is still high.

I think I am probably being hugely optimistic but I am still hoping it might happen before Sunday.

LilRedWG Fri 16-Oct-09 17:54:52

Sex, wine and curry.

SpawnChorus Fri 16-Oct-09 17:58:30

I went into labour naturally at 41+6 (the day before induction). I had a high, backwards, closed cervix (unsweepable)on the Monday, 2cm dilated on Tues (given vigorous sweep), gave birth midday Wednesday.

There is hope!

beanstalk Fri 16-Oct-09 18:01:23

LilRed - that would at least make for a fun Friday night grin

Fingers crossed!

LilRedWG Fri 16-Oct-09 18:02:23

Yep - it may well work too. And if not, it'll make you smile. wink

SpawnChorus Sat 17-Oct-09 12:03:49

How's it going beanstalk?

gemmac1 Sat 17-Oct-09 12:14:03

Hi Beanstalk....any sign yet? Try pinapple....its supposed to soften your cervix? I tried the wine , curry and sex thing too...with no joy though!!

Hope your little one puts in an appearance soon

MrsHappy Sat 17-Oct-09 12:15:45

If you don't want to be induced you do know that you don't have to be, don't you? You could ask for expectant management and see what happens as long as you and the baby are ok.

FWIW, with my DD I was told that my cervix was tightly closed and that a sweep was not possible at 41 weeks. 4 days later I went into labour on my own.

Good luck with it - I am sure you will be fine however labour starts. smile

beanstalk Sat 17-Oct-09 12:20:41

Absolutely nothing, I am resigning myself to being induced tomorrow. Nesting like crazy though, on my hands and knees cleaning the floors!! I think I need to start conserving energy. Thanks for asking

squashimodo Sat 17-Oct-09 12:30:59

I cleaned the top two floors of my house, the garden, and the next day my waters burst, dd born after 6 hours of labour.

SpawnChorus Sat 17-Oct-09 12:52:25

I was told that my induction was likely to be pretty quick and easy as I was so overdue. Of course it could still happen naturally for you!

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Sat 17-Oct-09 13:04:04

get on youtube and watch a video of a birth. I went into labour the night I did that with DS2!

suzi2 Sat 17-Oct-09 13:10:08

To add to that, I was unsweepable with DS at 39+5 (tried sweep due to false labour) and was told I was weeks off. 12 hours later I had a big show and got checked to be told it was likely I'd make it naturally, just not any time soon. 18 hours after that he arrived on his due date.

Agree that you don't have to be induced if you don't want to be. Ask the hospital to give you accurate info about the risks of going overdue, and how they would manage you if you turned down their offer of induction.

DiamondHead Sat 17-Oct-09 13:16:07

It could still happen. I had my ds1 the night before I was due to be induced. I had no symptoms of labour until 6 o'clock that night.

I would get on with planning for going into the hospital for the induction. I did that, went for a nice lunch dh. I felt so much better, rather than stressing over it.

Good luck. Hope it all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now