Talk

Advanced search

information regarding the implications of baby opening bowels/swallowing meconium during labour

(4 Posts)
minxofmancunia Fri 16-Oct-09 12:07:01

both my dcs opened their bowles during labour, 1st labour (dd) bit of a panic, ventouse threat of forceps if I didn't deliver her there and then. dd ill following birth with early jaundice had iv antibiotics but she's absolutely fine now (she's 3).

ds 3 weeks old, waters were burst for me towards the end of labour, meconium in them, birth carried on as normal no probs during labour, had a touch of jaundice but nothing serious but vomited alot of meconium back up in the first 24 hours. Hospital staff relatively unconcerned.

so far sd seems fine just worried as have heard that swallowing meconium can cause long term problems (even though dd fine) and just wanted some more info.

Thanks x

OnlyWantsOneFartleBerry Fri 16-Oct-09 19:42:56

BUMP

my DD had meconium in waters - she too is now 3, I have never heard this causes problems?

bloss Fri 16-Oct-09 20:17:10

Message withdrawn

Lulumama Fri 16-Oct-09 20:20:01

yes, what bloss said. it is aspirating meconium into the lungs that can be serious. some babies poo in the womb simply due to being post dates, it is not always distress

DD pooed during labour, but there was problem. she was born bout 2 hours later and vomited mec. back up about 24 hours after birth but no problems at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now