Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

how much for a private room at hospital?

(13 Posts)
Beccles Sat 11-Jun-05 12:27:54

Message withdrawn

Ameriscot2005 Sat 11-Jun-05 12:47:06

Depends on the facilities (ie private bath or not), but I'd say around £50 - £100.

You may get a freebie private room for a C-section, especially the first couple of days. Nothing is guaranteed though.

Hulababy Sat 11-Jun-05 12:49:19

I had a cs section with DD, not planned. I was automatically given a private room with my own bathroom afterwards. The MW sais that it was pretty standard where we are to do so.

jampots Sat 11-Jun-05 12:58:40

Are you in BUPA ? If so, you may be able to get your section done and they'll pay for it. I did this and IIRC the hospital charged £245 per night but that was a "package" which included nursing care (yeah right) and dressings/drugs etc.

compo Sat 11-Jun-05 13:02:02

I think where I am you could get a private side room in a NHS hospital for £50 a night. When I had ds there was a woman who had a C section in the bed next to mine so no special room for her without paying. On my ward there were only 4 of us anyway and you could draw the curtains so I didn't find it too bad. Except for C-section woman having friends and family round at 1am the first night, and her TV on showing football 2nd day - there were headphones but she didn't use then and she used her mobile phone

saadia Sat 11-Jun-05 13:03:26

I was at Northwick Park and for a private room without ensuite was about £50 a night. It was a pretty dreary room with peeling wallpaper - I couldn't wait to get home.

Prufrock Sat 11-Jun-05 20:04:54

My health insurance (Cigna) also covered me for my second c-section as it was a medical necessity. Where abouts are you? Some hospitals don't allow you to book private rooms, and some don't like you to have a private room after a c-section - after my first one I was deliberately put on the ward nearest to the midwives station along with 7 other c-section mothers, as it was easier for the midwives to get to us. Somehospitals do have private roms, but they get booked really quickly. You can call your hospital to check what private maternity facilities you have

Yorkiegirl Sat 11-Jun-05 20:07:14

Message withdrawn

JiminyCricket Tue 14-Jun-05 21:31:56

I had a private room for about 50 per night - they told us we would get chucked out if someone else needed it e.g. after a c-section. Can't decide if would do it again (tho agree after a c-section and knowing you'd be in a little while might be worth it) as the downside is I think it was easy to be forgotton about! I wasn't offered any painkillers for the first three nights and the midwife doing my pre-discharge check seemed a bit horrified that no one had had a look at my stitches for the whole four days - I guess I wasn't very savvy first time and would have been more aware if on the ward with others around and seeing what care they were getting

NannyJo Tue 14-Jun-05 21:33:14

fully en-suite was £70 but that was a one off payment being as i was in for over a week then it was abargain to us.

fluppy Wed 15-Jun-05 11:19:40

£135 per night here (NHS).

uwila Wed 15-Jun-05 20:49:50

£150 at Queen Charlotte, but I think they are on the expensive side. 2 years ago Epsom General charged £100, but I hear they have raised the price to £130 now.

Magscat Wed 15-Jun-05 20:58:41

In Bradford you get a side ward to yourself for free if you have a section providing they are not all already full. I think the cost otherwise is about £40.
Actually when I was being induced and it wasn't working and I was getting exhausted through lack of sleep they gave me a private room anyway and didn't charge me for it -I ended up having a section the next day but even so I tohught it was decent of them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: