Talk

Advanced search

HOME BIRTH ! positive experience ?

(12 Posts)
Anya4 Tue 13-Oct-09 13:10:40

Am expecting 4th baby and am considering a home birth - I don't know much about it - just wondered if anyone had any stories (good or bad ) they could share ??
For example, what do you do with your other kids ?!!!

gemstones Tue 13-Oct-09 16:00:45

Hi!

I havnt had a homebirth but might have to consider it this time (24wks with DC3) due to very quick labours, but 3 of my friends have recently had homebirths and all were sooo glad they had a homebirth, how relaxed etc it was for them to be in their own home with the midwives undivided attention.

With regards to their other children they were all upstairs in bed (as it was at night)They had their mums there just in case the children woke up.

Good luck

FlamingoBingo Tue 13-Oct-09 16:04:12

I've had four homebirths - all very positive experiences.

My older children were asleep and/or around but cared for by my mum when I had their younger siblings.

What do you want to know?

Have you seen www.homebirth.org.uk?

fruitspooksbatsintheeaves Tue 13-Oct-09 16:06:32

I have had homebirths. the first one we weren't very well prepared for as I thought I'd be ok with dd around which I then wasn't! ds was born in the middle of the afternoon and our lovely neighbour looked after dd for a few hours.

My MIL came to look after the other children for second homebirth and they were getting so frustrated by it taking so long she went out for a walk with them and missed it!

I can't remember what I'd planned for the third one. MIL again I think but that one didnt go to plan so I won't go into that!

Good luck . It is so much nicer at home IMO.

octopusinabox Tue 13-Oct-09 22:20:04

Both of mine were home births and can honestly say it was the best experience. For my second, my eldest child was in bed and slept through it. We had backup childcare just in case but was really planning on my husband looking after them if necessary.

Anya4 Tue 13-Oct-09 23:18:34

Thanks ladies, esp for the link FlamingoBingo.....
Bit of a gross question - part of the reason I've never considered (aside from medical emergencies in two pregnancies !) is the thought of my gunk/blood/sick/poo/whatever other gross stuff comes out of me...and the thought that this would be in my house !!
How does all that bit work ?

ThingumyandBob Tue 13-Oct-09 23:32:03

Am busy planning a homebirth for 2nd . Luckily I know quite a few people who have had fantastic homebirths (inc a friend who gave birth completely unassisted in the US, bit extreme for me personally, but she loved it)

I spoke to my midwife about the mess, she is very frank and down to earth, she said ‘we don’t let you make too much mess as we have to clear it up, but seriously that it’s nothing to worry about.’

I hope I’m not being too naive by believing her!

octopusinabox Wed 14-Oct-09 10:01:53

You just put a plastic dust sheet/shower curtain etc on the floor to protect your carpets/bed. I also used an old quilt cover over the top to make it comfier. Both times I went off for a shower, came back and the midwives had just scooped up the dust sheets and put them in a bag which they take away for incinerating with the placenta. Second time round there was hardly anything on the sheet so they asked if we wanted to keep it so they even put it in the washing machine for us. I have cream carpets by the way and absolutely nothing was on them afterwards.

ja9 Wed 14-Oct-09 10:08:06

another positive experience here. had 2nd child at home. all happened very quickly - less than 2 hours from very start to the finish. midwifes cleaned up. they left an hr after birth with washing machine on and the place spotless!

NewPenName Wed 14-Oct-09 10:24:52

fantastic experience with (NHS) v v supportive midwife who stayed way beyond her shift to be with me throughout.
They cleared up all the "gunk" all put into clinical waste sacks which they brought with them. It's not your worry - you'll be too busy. Good luck!

CarmenSanDiego Wed 14-Oct-09 10:36:26

I had a wonderful home birth with my third baby. My daughters came running in to see him being born but my grandmother watched them for most of my labour in the playroom nearby. It was an incredible experience for all of us. They drew pictures of me in the birthing pool for their 'what I did in the holidays' stories

minnylove Fri 23-Oct-09 11:53:55

I had my first baby at home in a birth pool three weeks ago. so glad that it all went okay. I used hypnobirthing techniques and had a doula too. For me the experience was good as i am a private person and didn't like the idea of being in a hospital and preferred the thought of my own bed, toilet, shower, access to food etc. My labour was really straightforward and i had 3 midwives, the first came with a lovely student and then 3rd arrived during pushing stage. They were really amazing and respected my birth plan and just sat and watched me really! Afterwards was when they really stepped in, they clear up all the gunk and have big pads and things to protect sofa's etc, as i sat on mine while they checked me for tears etc, and i was so grateful when i did my first 'wee' ouchy ouchy in my own bathroom where it was familiar and clean, and then i ate thai curry take away and got cosy in my own bed! definitely worth i!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now