28 weeks, want VBAC, just seen consultant HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!(12 Posts)
I have been feeling so positive about having a VBAC I wasn't at all prepared for how I felt in the hospital today- it all just came flooding back. Then the consultant told me that although I have a 7/8 out of 10 chance of having a VBAC he'd like me to book in for induction at 41 weeks, because it's easier for him to manage the workload!!!!
And if I don't progress satisfactorily over the course of 3 examinations they will put me in for a CS without hesitation.
Because I'm overweight he wants me back in 3 weeks to check the baby's size, followed by another appointment with him.
I just feel that the whole sense of control I was regaining has been whisked away from me, and like as soon as I step into the hospital that'll be it, same as before, procedure and protocol will take over.
I said to him that i understood he is managing a department, but that I am managing the birth of a tiny baby who doesn't understand routines and timetables. I also said I didn't want any interference before 42 weeks. he accepted these points, but I still feel completely over medicalised AGAIN.
Good on you for putting your foot down. You were braver than most for saying that, and he at least responded well to it. Usually they will manage the women who allow themselves to be managed (most of them) and those who have some guts and know what they want can get their way - it's easier for them.
Not sure about induction after previous CS though
Good luck and keep strong.
I haven't seen my consultant yet, but I've been told I'll be booked in for a cs at 41 weeks so you're doing better than I am!
ah don't worry. Being booked for a c/section is not the same thing as having one. They can book you for 20 if they want, and a trip to the Maldives for all you can care. It is your body and your choice.
Now a trip to the Maldives I wouldn't argue with
I'm 37 wks and looking at a VBAC, and all I can say is it is your choice, unless there's a strong medical reason why not! I've managed to get hold of our hospital protocol on VBAC, and the risks of the scar tearing do increase with induction (up to 2.4%), but the consultant still told me he'd rather try that first than go straight for cs. You can argue against protocol, the important thing is the safety of you and your baby, and I think the midwives are often more sympathetic. I've booked an appt at 41 weeks incase bub no 2 hasn't arrived but I haven't decided yet what I'll do at that point.
The consultants don't always tell you all he stats, my first visit they didn't give me enough info on the risks, so push them for as much info as you want - it's your baby, it's your birth. Not sure if it helps, but I did a refresher ante-natal course with the NCT where I got the protocol from - they might be a good source of info for you.
Itis hard when they treat you in that way isn't it? Even when you can assert yourself it still bruises a bit.
I found it quite hardgoing with dd2 and dd3 when they wanted me to have a GTT because of my weight. First time I researched it and then rang up and refused it over the phone. The second time we had to have the conversation directly with the consultant because he mentioned it when we were seeing him about a cardiac scan as dd2 has a heart defect. Dh and I were well primed with the information and although the consultant put up a good fight he did concede there was no evidence base that a GTT determined purely on the basis of maternal weight was shown to improve the outcome for mother and child. After he'd gone the midwife told me she agreed with us and that in her experience just having the test was enough to define you in a certain way and have you set on a medical pathway. It's not a very comfortable feeling is it?
It sounds like you were very clear and that you have made a reasoned case. You are still in control - they can't give birth to your baby without you!
'they can't give birth to your baby without you'
Thanks everyone- I think the thing is, you go in to a place where you've already had one bad experience, so you're feeling vulnerable. Then some bullish man tries to tell you what to do. I tried to be assertive but it was much harder than I had thought it would be.
At least I have time to do a bit more research and planning before the big day. But really, it's not right- who wants to be fighting the medical staff when you're half way through labour? I'll have enough on my bloody plate. DP and I are going to have to be so prepared, and like you say they don;t give you all the facts so it's not an informed decision- this bloke even gave me the impression that it wasn't my decision at all!
I'm feeling more angry than upset today, though, which is a good thing!
Headfairy- good luck to you, hope your consultant listens.
I had a different experience to you in that my consultant was very supportive of my wish for a VBAC, and at my hospital they have a VBAC clinic that you can attend for one to one guidance and a chat about the pros and cons, and then come up with a plan for what to do if you go over. All I had to do was make an appointment to see my consultant at 10 days over, where we would look at what the situation was at the time. Maybe you could request this?
In the end I went into labour on my due date and DD arrived later that day. So, none of my worried over whether to be induced etc were necessary. But, it is important that you know all the facts so that you can make the right decision for you.
Good idea countrybump, I might just do that. I am also thinking of changing hospitals to be honest- a fresh start might help me feel more confident anyway, even if I don't actually get more support.
In your case I would be asking for another consultant. One who is more pro VBAC. They certainly exist.
I think his comment re induction is misinformed and lazy.
Well done for taking a strong stance.
Join the discussion
Please login first.