Talk

Advanced search

Epidural

(12 Posts)
Monsterspam Sun 11-Oct-09 00:36:57

Just wondering (as I had an epidural which failed), if you had an epidural (for a vaginal birth) how much pain did you feel?

heverhoney1 Sun 11-Oct-09 00:43:34

I felt nothing that I could describe as PAIN after I has the epi, I could still feel certain sensations but it wasnt paintful (and bearing in mind I had an episiotomy, a third degree tear and several other tears that required stitching I feel the epi was the worlds biggest godsend!)

Monsterspam Sun 11-Oct-09 00:46:56

Bloody hell, bet you're glad you had it!

heverhoney1 Sun 11-Oct-09 00:59:30

There is a school of thought that would say there was a possibility that what happened to me MAY not have happened had I not had the epi, due to positioning/ active labour etc. HOWEVER that is a huge MAYBE so yes I am forever grateful that the lovely anaesthetist did a cracking good job sticking that great big needle in my back!! My personal opinion on the matter is that I think it actually saved my life as I was increadibly calm through it all (Baby stuck half way out and crash team called). Had I beed able to feel the pain and have been aware of exactly what was going on I think my BP would have gone up and I would have lost even more blood than I did.

What happened to you Monster?

beautifulgirls Sun 11-Oct-09 10:17:47

Hi Monsters - I had an epidural with both of my DDs. The first time it only took on one side to start with - very wierd having one sided pain! They resited it and things were a lot better - I was able to feel contractions and push, but the pain was gone with it - so hard to describle really.
With DD#2 they epidural didn't work at all for me, so like you I had the whole birth experience with the pain - for me it was a total nightmare and I can certainly say despite the technical issues with my first birth (would have happened epi or not) it was a better birth experience from my point of view.
I guess you are asking to help make a future choice? Well, if so I would say just go with the flow at the time. Despite hating Dd#2s birth due to the pain, I am still hopeing to have baby#3 without epidural if I can, but open to change if I need to at the time. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for an epidural if I needed one again though. I guess I was just unlucky it didn't work. We didn't have time to resite it last time, but I'm sure they could have sorted it if time had permitted.

Monsterspam Sun 11-Oct-09 21:56:36

Hi,
Well, I was induced and things moved along quite quickly. Was put on the drip at 12 noon and she was born at 16:37. I couldn't concentrate with the gas and air so decided to go for an epidural - didn't have any effect whatsoever - I remember crying saying "I can't do this". They gave me an injection of something (no idea what) which didn't seem to touch the pain at all. I had quite a bad tear (don't know what degree - wasn't told and too young at 22 to feel I could/know to ask) and then 30 secs after dd being born she was whipped from me and into dh's arms and he was told to sit in the corner. I haemorrhaged (again, don't know why) and lost 5 pints of blood. There was a lot of fuss and basically dh thought he would be a single dad. I remember a nurse holding my hand and telling me what a fighter I was (I didn't have a clue what she was on about!). The consultant came bursting into the room with a few students and he sorted me out.

Just typing this has been quite cathartic as I realise how many hang-ups I have about something that happened 7 years ago. blush

Thanks for taking the time to reply. BG - you are right, would love another child but can't seem to get over the birth part! Just trying to do some research to cover all eventualities! smile

RubyBooBerry Sun 11-Oct-09 22:00:51

I was induced and after 10 hours I had an epidural.
The pain totally went away and it was wonderful, I got some rest. Until DD got stuck due to shoulder dystocia and they had to ventouse her out and it hurt like absolute bloody hell!!!!

notcitrus Sun 11-Oct-09 22:10:46

None whatsoever, except when it wore off a bit every 2 hours, when the SPD pain came back (I had it for my pelvis not for tha labour pains).
I seriously thought everyone was joking when they said 'there's the head!' grin

I was very lucky with both that and having an excellent job of an episiotomy and stitches - the bruise in my thigh from where they had to give me a rapid anti-haemorrhaging jab hurt way more than my fanjo for the next week! My pelvis took a couple months to really recover.

Rather nervous of giving birth again as I might have to do it 'properly'...hmm

Koala79 Mon 12-Oct-09 12:43:22

I had my first baby last Sunday after being induced. I went in with an open mind and no birth plan but after 3 hours and getting to 5cm dilated and being told I wasn't in labour by the midwife the whole time and begging her to examine me then I then begged for anything to take the pain away... A shot of pethadine (which for some reason made me high as kite and talk about Noel Edmonds riding a horse?!) and then I asked for an epidural. Best thing I ever did. Baby's heart rate dropped after 10 mins of pushing so I ended up with the panic situation and then a doctor, cut and stictches. I felt zero pain from any of this and the contractions and yet didn't lose the ability to move my legs either. 30 mins after birth I got off the bed and walked to the bathroom. Baby was fine as soon as she came out. I have been telling all my mates to go for the epidural when the time comes and will def have another when it's time for baby number two!!

roxy12 Mon 12-Oct-09 14:03:11

I swear by Epidural! i loved it, it worked for me! i could feel certain sensations but NO pain!

About 30 mins before i had to start pushing they wouldnt let me have no more as they wanted me to feel when to push and that was painful (the baby comeing out) but i was still drugged up so wasnt as bad as it probably would have been if i hadnt had the epidural!

Monsterspam Mon 12-Oct-09 21:08:15

Thanks guys - so, if an epidural works as it should, I wouldn't feel any pain at all?

roxy12 Tue 13-Oct-09 10:56:12

You do feel certain sensations but you shouldnt feel any pain!

i didnt feel any pain until it started wearing off (when the baby was actually comeing out).

Your contractions shouldnt feel painfull, well i couldnt feel my contractions anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now