Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which Birth pool for home birth?

(12 Posts)
aligirl Sat 10-Oct-09 11:45:31

4 weeks to due date and decided to home water birth. DS was a quickie (5 hours) so expecting this to be quicker. Worried about filling up pool in time!
Confused about hiring or second hand or new - anyone got experience to share?
If i buy what do I do with it afterwards?

merryberry Sat 10-Oct-09 12:00:41

i hired a rigid sided one with heater and filter and cover for ds2's birth in cold old march. i used it a lot in the days before i gave birth, i was very very uncomfortable in the last few days and could only sleep sitting up. the pool gave me such comfort and relief, i was in it 2-3 times a day. it was what kept me going and not begging for induction. because i am a, um, sturdy lass, i chose a sturdy pool

it needed a tablet put in once a day, and the water draining and replacing once a week. i clung to the side heavily, really braced on it during labour and pushing. it was also invaluable during manouvers to dislodge his shoulder dystocia, allowing me to place leg up on it firmly and i hopped out very easily using it's strong side as leverage for MW to do mcroberts etc.

BunnyLebowski Sat 10-Oct-09 12:15:59

I bought

this one

and can't recommend it highly enough!

It's a doddle to set up and has fab sturdy sides you can lean over.

Came with all the accessories we needed (pump, hose etc) for about £90.

Oh and envy at your quick births. Mine was 20 hours sad

Caitni Sat 10-Oct-09 18:34:04

Hey Bunny,

Can't seem to open your link. Can you re-post the name of it?

Thanks!

GhostWriter Sat 10-Oct-09 18:37:23

I had a la bassine made in water, think that's bunny's link.

Brill. We use it as a paddling pool/ball pool now!

Indith Sat 10-Oct-09 18:56:11

I had a la bassine too, nice and quick to set up and fill (my first was 4.5 hours so I had similar concerns about speed!) I must admit there is something very tempting about a nice heated one to leave set up for basking in in the last few days! Maybe next time grin

milly1980 Sat 10-Oct-09 20:01:50

I am also thinking about home water birth and have been trying to decide between la bassine and aquaborn eco pool. I like the fact that aquaborn has handles on the top and a lid to keep water temperature high (although, aesthetically I prefer the la bassine ) Has anyone used the aquaborn and what was it like?

PiggyPenguin Sat 10-Oct-09 20:26:26

I had a pool in a box. I got it second hand for £50 from ebay and it was ace.

It is very sturdy when inflated and full of water, and it was also quite large (the regular one). I would get a mini if you don't have that much room.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sat 10-Oct-09 20:27:57

I had a Birthpool In A box. Can't fault it at all.

girlynut Sun 18-Oct-09 21:07:54

I bought a Regular Eco pool in a box. It was great. Bought the kit with the hose, thermometer, sieve, etc and a liner. It was cheaper to buy it all than hire.

Took DH 10 mins to inflate with electric pump and about 45 mins to fill with warm water. Stayed in it for 6 hours and delivered baby in there. Water was fairly clear until placenta delivered at which point it resembled an unset strawberry jelly!!

DH said it was really easy to clean. Underwater pump and hose drained water straight down outside drain, threw liner in dustbin and wiped down with Milton.

My 4 yo has been using it all summer as a paddling pool - it is sturdy enough for him to stand on the edges and not a puncture in sight!

If you want to save some pennies you could just buy a second-hand one and put in a new sterile liner.

minnylove Fri 23-Oct-09 11:40:04

Hey!
I borrowed a birth pool in a box the regular size from a friend.

was so easy to inflate as it had an electric pump so it took about 5-10 minutes and a few hours to fill, my husband filled it in the morning when my contractions began and this pool had a head retaining cover so it was all nice and toasty still when i got in.

I am tall 5'9 so this pool was good to fit myself and my husband in.

heard the bassine ones are lovely too as they are quite cocoon like, i would of gone for one of them but needed the bit bigger one so i could float about happily with my husband in there too!

minnylove Fri 23-Oct-09 11:41:32

ours took a while to fill because we needed to reheat our water, but if you just have hot water it is really quick, under an hour i would say!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now