Talk

Advanced search

One of my stitches has come out - what should I do??!

(5 Posts)
NotBreeVanDeKamp Fri 09-Oct-09 19:18:26

Gave birth by induction on Sunday night and sustained a second degree tear (oh, and a lovely baby girl!) so have quite a few stitches. However, the other night after going to the loo noticed that one of the stitches had most definitely come out - a long unbroken thread on the loo paper.
Midwife checked it (tho didn't seem very thorough to me as she didn't poke about at all) and said she thought it would be fine.
However I'm pretty worried, it definitely looks very different down there - seem to have extra holes and flaps of skin.
Will it heal itself with a missing stitch??

craftynclothy Fri 09-Oct-09 19:24:12

I would have thought so. I've had second degree tears both times and not had them stitched (refused first time & second my IM thought it didn't need them and the nhs mw was happy to go along with that)

OnlyWantsOneFartleBerry Fri 09-Oct-09 19:24:21

ooo poor you, congratulations on the daughter though

No advice really except if you are really concerned, ask the MW to examine again.

I know in the weeks post having DD all my bits were odd and misplaced. They went back to pre DD though (I think)

Northernlurker Fri 09-Oct-09 19:30:48

The stitches they use are dissolving so they come out as the skin heals. Your (ahem) area has been through the eqivalent of a nucleur balst so it will look a bit different. Just see how you go and get medical advice if it starts to be more painful or itchy or you feel unwell in case you have a wound infection.

annamama Fri 09-Oct-09 21:17:38

I had a stitch that came out (the one furthest away from the vagina). I thought it looked horrible, it looked like there was a hole there. Midwife checked and said it would heal fine and I would only get a little red mark. Now I can't even see anything at all. So I would say you'll be fine but get it checked again if you're worried!

Congrats on your baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now