Talk

Advanced search

VBAC advice please

(13 Posts)
mitfordsisters Fri 09-Oct-09 12:54:08

I'd like to have a home VBAC, with no.2, due in May. I had Em Caesarean with DS after induction (I was given gel, waters broken etc. even though contractions had started. I didn't labour fast enough for their protocols). I am convinced that my labour did not progress because they continuously monitored me and would not let me move from the bed. I am still really angry about this.

I want a VBAC and preferably home VBAC, with intermittent monitoring and medical staff at a distance. How can I keep them at arm's length this time?

MrsHappy Fri 09-Oct-09 13:47:18

Hi Mitfordsisters

My first labour was pretty crappy too and ended in emcs after 30-odd hours of contractions, the last 12 of which I was told to lie down for.

VBACs are pretty common these days and I am hoping to have mine in a midwife-led unit at my local hospital. To ensure continuity of care and to help me navigate the NHS I have hired independent midwives - one of them will come with me to the hospital and act as doula.

As for preventing interventions, the first step is to realise that it is up to you what you will accept. Do your research and be clear with your HCPs about what you do and don't want. "The VBAC Handbook" by Churchill and Savage is an excellent place to start.

FWIW, with one exception I have found the doctors and midwives at my local hospital unfailingly supportive. They have, of course, told me that they would prefer me to follow their protocol (and have CFM, canula etc) but acknowledge that it is my choice. This mnay be far less of a battle than you fear.

mitfordsisters Fri 09-Oct-09 14:37:43

Thanks Mrs Happy. I guess I shouldn't assume that it's going to be a battle to get what I want. I think I will hire a doula this time. And thanks for recommending a book.

helips Fri 09-Oct-09 19:03:24

Hi Mitfordsisters,

I'm planning a home vbac after ecs, in fact I'm due in 4 weeks! I have gone with Independent midwives who are experienced in home vbacs and are very positive and confident that I can do this. Definately recommend hiring a doula or Independent Midwife, good luck!

mitfordsisters Sat 10-Oct-09 12:28:22

Hi helips I don't think we can't afford independent midwives - otherwise this would be the ideal solution. I hope it all goes well for you.

helips Sat 10-Oct-09 13:45:36

Thanks mitfordsisters, definately go for the doula option then as they will help fight your corner. Good luck to you too!

reikizen Sat 10-Oct-09 13:52:48

From a professional point of view I'd say be sure what you do and don't want (and why- so they can't blind you with statistics!) but don't assume a confrontational air (unless you have to!) because it may be that the midwife is as excited as you are about the prospect of a home vbac and actually wants to support your choices! Sorry if that sounds patronising but I come across so many women who assume midwives all want them on a monitor with an epidural. Doula is a good option too.

morocco Sat 10-Oct-09 23:03:21

do your research so you're making a fully informed choice then just state what you want and keep repeating it in calm but firm manner smile. no need to enter into any debate or discussion unless you want to. oh - and getting a doula helps too! my mw was incredibly supportive and gave me her home tel no in case of any problems on the day if she wasn't on call. she was fab!

l39 Sun 11-Oct-09 01:07:21

I had a VBAC 8.5 hours ago. (Yes, I should be asleep. Hormones no doubt are keeping me up.)

Monitoring was most unpleasant even while my contractions were far apart and irregular. (2 halfhour sets with a few minutes in between.) I was then allowed to walk round the carpark for an hour as clearly not yet in labour. Contractions became closer and more intense and I avoided monitoring for some time once back in the ward by kneeling on the floor and refusing to get up (politely I think) and by the lucky arrival of a hawk eating a small bird outside the window, which distracted the midwife. This meant I got to 8cm dilated before they got me hooked up to the machine again, by which time I didn't mind so much.

morocco Mon 12-Oct-09 21:10:09

congrats 139 - hawk sounds a weird distraction grin - glad it all went well.

hobnob57 Tue 13-Oct-09 15:25:33

I voiced my concerns about my failed induction and a repeat of it in all its gruesome glory to my community MW when I was 32 weeks. She called the consultant midwife at the hospital for me, and she arranged to see me instead of the consultant appointment I was due to have today (36 weeks). I've written a mammoth post about it here. It was a really positive experience and I didn't have to fight for a thing. I hope that there's an equivalent angel at your hospital.

Do ask - I would never have managed to find all this out had I not raised my concerns.

Poledra Tue 13-Oct-09 15:32:14

I always come onto these sorts of treads to say 'Ask to talk to the consultant midwife.' They seem to be much more supportive of women's choices than the obstetricians, and can be a marvellous advocate for you. For my last birth (second VBAC), she got the consultants to agree to labouring in the pool with telemetric monitoring and minimal interventions (didn't happen that way for other reasons, but still....).

mitfordsisters Thu 15-Oct-09 12:58:42

Thanks ladies - this is really useful. Hobnob - I found your post - you are a mumsnet angel! l39 - I wrote a post on 11/10 but it didn't post for some reason - most bizarre birdspot ever - congrats on your VBAC and new baby.

I know that circumstances can dictate a change of plan, but I will request intermittent monitoring and try to avoid induction as far as poss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now