Talk

Advanced search

3rd degree tear vs c-section recovery times

(17 Posts)
mummyofthomas Wed 07-Oct-09 16:10:43

hi there,I posted this in pregnancy thread but no response. I've recently posted a thread about 3rd degree tears with number one and what experiences people have had with baby number 2. Was just wondering what peoples experiences were with having a third degree tear and a c-section and what each recovery time was like.

Deemented Wed 07-Oct-09 19:09:48

Well, with my boys i had a c-sec, and was recovered in about 6 weeks altogether. With my DD, i had a 3rd degree tear, and tbh, the recovery time was much the same, though i'd say the tear was much more painful simply because of where the stitches were.

LittleSilver Wed 07-Oct-09 20:28:19

I can't comment on a CS but I had a third degree tear the first time and only a 1st degree that didn't need sutures with the 2nd. Then intact perineum with the third. I was HEAVILY pushed towards a CS with my second but declined.

mummyofthomas Thu 08-Oct-09 17:34:36

thanks for the replies, I am really hoping to avoid a cs this time so just wanted to get some idea of other peoples experiences before seeing my consultant and making any decisions.

Caro1302 Thu 08-Oct-09 20:34:58

My first was a CS and my second a VBAC with 3rd degree tear. Healing time was pretty similar for both wounds- about 2 weeks for the soreness to wear off. Apart from my trashed perineum though I felt pretty much back to normal after my VBAC, whereas I walked like an old lady for a week or so post-CS.

becktay Thu 08-Oct-09 21:00:50

same as caro. the c sec really was harder than the tear but i wonder if it's a bit luck of the draw. my consultant said no reason i shouldn't go for a 2nd vbac if i ever have another.

Heated Thu 08-Oct-09 21:08:43

I had a 3rd degree tear with baby no1 and the initial soreness took about 3-4 weeks to subside but I was left with poor muscle tone.

Had the offer of an ec for no 2 but had another vb, very minor tearing, about 10 days not to notice it anymore, but nothing compared to the first time round.

If we have a third baby, will yet again have to make a decision about an elective. My concern has moved from being about the short term recovery to long term and possible future incontinence - lovely!

abroadandmisunderstood Thu 08-Oct-09 21:19:32

3rd degree with DS1. I was terrified to poo. I remember necking the Lactulose and passing the newborn to my mum (thanks for staying, mum) while I sat on the loo for 1/2 hour. Had maybe 10 incidents at supermarket where I thought my bowels were shot to bits and in some cases it was too late...sorry.

Head Consultant recommended no further VBAC and as DS2 was born in Private Insurance Only Germany, I went for that option.

CS regrets? The incredible pain on day two. I did not anticipate quite that level of pain. My newborn kicking my stitches when I was changing his nappy. I just remember creeping around and wincing for a good few weeks.

I can't say what was better. I wish i could have VBAC again but as I still have tearing issues after 41/2 years, think maybe CS was better. At least I could time the delivery for when DS1 was in Kindergarten so DH was there for delivery (just......traffic!)

SingingBear Thu 08-Oct-09 21:26:59

Message withdrawn

IsItMeOr Thu 08-Oct-09 21:31:06

I think SingingBear is right tbh. Fwiw, two people from my antenatal group had emcs (one of them me) and two had 3rd degree tears. The emcsers have recovered much better in our small sample.

flooziesusie Fri 09-Oct-09 14:12:03

cs with my first, took ages to heal - in serious discomfort for 9 weeks. vb with second, 3rd degree tear - apart from the too scared to poo issue, I was back to 'normal' after 3 weeks... I know how I'd want to do it again!

Everyone is so different though. Major surgery would never be my choice unless absolutely necessary.

mummyofthomas Fri 09-Oct-09 16:54:33

thanks for all the advice, singingbear sounds like your VBAC was very similar to mine I am def still not right down there, and yes I know I am crazy for having another so soon but really wanted to have them close together. It is so hard to make a decision, all my health care providers give conflicting views as to whether a cs is necessary. I know deep down I would really like to try for VBAC again, I'm just terrified about the short/long term recovery.

meme1 Sat 10-Oct-09 20:24:51

Hi I am 19wks and facing the same dilemma, I had terrible birth 1st time around with lots of probs aftewards and tring to decide between CS and Vbac, I must say that the more I hear about elective CS the more I am leaning towards that!!

mummydarlingsausage Sun 11-Oct-09 12:29:33

i had 3 degree tear with dd - initial recovery took about 4 weeks though 6 years later things still not right down there - must get it sorted one day! had an elective cs with ds - bearable pain for a couple of days - spent 1 week in bed taking it easy and felt fine within a couple of weeks. obviously it's different for everyone but the cs was a breeze in the park for me after such a traumatic birth with dd. i am pregnant with 3rd now and looking forward to another elective cs.

Totallyfloaty35 Mon 12-Oct-09 23:26:03

Had emergency cs with dd1,felt ok after about 5-6wks,but before that felt like insides were going to burst out if i moved or coughed.
DD2 was vbac,she was forceps though and had 2nd degree tear,that healed after few days but tailbone was pushed out of place so that took 5months to heal.DD3 was vbac and had 3rd degree tear(she had huge head though) healed pretty quick,was out shopping 48hrs after birth,the scared to poo and odd accidentblush took longer to get over.
Spoke to gynea about what to do if i had another baby, he said if its got a big head again or it looks like im going to tear i should ask for Elective Episiotomy(sp?) so direction of tear is controlled,he does not recommend cs,says they cause more probs than they solve.

countrybump Tue 13-Oct-09 11:54:27

I had CS with DS and recovery was about 6 weeks, 4 weeks before I was up to doing much. But it was months before my tummy muscles were working properly again!

I had DD 2 weeks ago with a 3rd degree tear and am already feeling recovered, if a little tender.

I think recovery from a tear is down to where the tear is and who stitches you up!

I'd opt for a tear over a CS again, as with my experience of a tear you can do more and get back to normal quicker, which was especially important to me as I wanted to be able to look after my DC myself and not rely on family to help for the first 6 weeks.

mummyofthomas Thu 15-Oct-09 09:43:14

HI, It's interesting that there is such a difference in peoples experiences of healing times. I guess it may just be luck of the draw so to speak, will just listen to advice from consultants etc and make a decision from there, thanks all for the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now