Talk

Advanced search

At what point would you become concerned that discharge was waters?

(25 Posts)
LissyGlitter Tue 06-Oct-09 20:53:19

Hmmm, I think I am worrying about nothing, this is my second, so I'd hope I would know what to expect...

I'm 34 weeks, and (sorry for TMI) my knickers are wet through. I have stuck a pantyliner on, and that is pretty wet too. It seems watery rather than phlegmy like normal discharge. It doesn't really smell, although it does get slightly wetter when the baby kicks so could just be a leaky bladder. I haven't had that before though. It seems completely clear.

I've been getting loads of BH, but only slightly painful and not at all regular. They are calming down a lot after being very strong earlier when I got a stressful phonecall (long story, but it was the letting agent making a mistake) and since then I have managed to go to uni, so they are definitely BH!

Thing is, due to problems with DDs birth, I need to be in hospital as soon as labour starts, so I'm a bit paranoid.

Please tell me I'm being daft!

MollieO Tue 06-Oct-09 20:56:20

I would call the hospital and see what they say especially if you have to be there from when labour starts.

LissyGlitter Tue 06-Oct-09 21:00:53

I'm just reluctant to have to wake up DD, get DP back from the pub, phone MIL for a lift, then spend hours waiting around in hospital, only to be told I have weed myself slightly, or worse, got a bit turned on somehow without noticing! blush

MollieO Tue 06-Oct-09 21:04:36

Why can't your MIL look after dd and you go with your dp to hospital?

MummyElk Tue 06-Oct-09 21:09:17

just a thought prompted from a funny story from one of the posters on my pg thread...you haven't had a bath or anything today have you??
she, er..had a similar problem very early on in her pg and it turned out to be, er...bathwater which had somehow been "retained"...
possibly not helpful but still. smile
how are you feeling now?

LissyGlitter Tue 06-Oct-09 21:11:40

Because it would probably cost about £10 in a taxi and we only have £20 to last us till Friday to buy food and bus tickets and the like. I suppose we could borrow money from MIL, but again, I don't want to do it for nothing...

I might try a bath, that tends to calm down BH, and would "wash me out" blush so I could see how quickly the discharge is coming out...

deepdarkwood Tue 06-Oct-09 21:12:57

Weeeelll, his was exactly how my waters went (at 36 weeks). Disapointing lack of gushing, just dribbly dampness.

The hospital rather sniffily suggested I might have wet myself - I was rather pleased to be proved right smile
I think you're meant to sniff them - amniotic fluid smells quite different to wee. Alledgedly.

Could you ring the maternity unit & ask for advice? Or NHS Direct? They may have some fool proof wee test smile

LissyGlitter Tue 06-Oct-09 21:14:11

Mummyelk - lol, no I haven't had a bath today, but good idea!

With DD the waters all rushed out everywhere, and then I immediately had strong contractions every three minutes, so I feel a bit daft worrying about some slightly uncomfortable irregular twinges and wet knickers! Although she came at 36 weeks, and I am now 34 weeks, and the old wives reckon each baby comes earlier than the last...

RoseBlossoms Tue 06-Oct-09 21:20:13

waters smell sweet and not at all like wee. you will know the difference.

how many pads in 2 hours?

I would ring maternity to get some advice at least. Good luck!

CMOTdibbler Tue 06-Oct-09 21:20:32

When my waters went at 35 weeks, I wasn't having any contractions at all, and didn't for 7 hours, even though I was dilated enough for the doctor to be able to tell me that DS had lots of dark hair. She had determined that my waters really had gone by the tidal wave that broke over her as she went to do a swab blush

It was a very peculiar smell, and was straw coloured with little bits in

MollieO Tue 06-Oct-09 21:26:59

My waters broke at 33 weeks, no gushing. I went to hospital and they sent me home. They shouln't have done so and ds ended up being very very poorly and in SCBU for 4 weeks.

LissyGlitter Tue 06-Oct-09 21:27:32

Rose- this is the thing, it has been two pantyliners in about an hour and a half, so hardly anything.

I am now off to the loo, and will have a smell...

God, I used to be cool. I honestly did. Look what happened!

LissyGlitter Tue 06-Oct-09 21:38:20

Hmm, results are inconclusive. Sweet ish smell, but hardly anything there. Still completely clear. BH have almost completely stopped now. Baby seems to have gone to sleep.

LissyGlitter Tue 06-Oct-09 21:45:09

Hmm, now periody pains in back and lower bump. Think I will ring the hospital and see what they say. Hopefully they will tell me to stop being daft.

CMOTdibbler Tue 06-Oct-09 21:50:03

I'm guessing they'll want you to come in. Good luck

LissyGlitter Tue 06-Oct-09 21:52:28

They want me in to be checked out. ARGH!

LissyGlitter Tue 06-Oct-09 21:58:32

Do I take my hospital bag? It's not even properly packed yet!

MrsKitty Tue 06-Oct-09 22:01:01

take your bag - i went in on saturday night with leaky waters and had a baby 4 hours later!

thirtysomething Tue 06-Oct-09 22:02:41

Yes! Does sound like waters to me - hind waters break like this sometimes - a slow trickle rather than a gush! I had the same as this at 38 weeks then cramping then baby 7 hours later! Good luck!

CMOTdibbler Tue 06-Oct-09 22:03:18

Take a bag with you, def. If baby is on it's way, you'd be able to borrow clothes and nappies from them (DS was dressed by SCBU, and they had loads of stuff).

MummyElk Tue 06-Oct-09 22:07:30

oooh lissy good luck!! we'll all be thinking of you tonight!!

MrsKitty Tue 06-Oct-09 22:13:09

Don't worry if it's not properly packed - as long as you have labour essentials and a change of PJs for ward someone can bring the rest in later. Good luck!

LissyGlitter Wed 07-Oct-09 00:08:49

All is well, I am back. Apparently I just had very heavy discharge. Swabs were taken. Thanks for all your advice! I'm glad i went in, it put my mind at rest.

RoseBlossoms Wed 07-Oct-09 15:02:03

cool cool whats that?!

Glad you went in better to be safe!

good luck when it all kicks off properly!

MummyElk Wed 07-Oct-09 15:04:10

am glad lissy, I went to bed last night thinking it was a taaadddd early for you! Hopefully you can have a nice couple of weeks nesting and resting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now