Advanced search

Having a caesarean, Consultant suggests sterilisation at the same time - is this a good idea?

(9 Posts)
Kyte Tue 06-Oct-09 16:36:18

OK, so I'm haveing a cs in a month's time. I just had my appointment with the consultant. He asked if we were planinng to have anymore and we said no. So he suggested that I have my tubes tied as part of the cs. Is this a good idea? Are there any additional side effects/risks? Will it affect my recovery? Anything I need to know?

Thanks mamas.

Rossco Tue 06-Oct-09 16:51:49

I asked my surgeon about this prior to my section with DS4. He told me straight out 'No Way'. His reasons being that the risk of the sterilisation failing are huge. If they do it during the section everything is swollen so when the tubes and everything go back to normal there is no guarantee that the staple or whatever they use would hold.

He did say though that it was my decision and he would do it if I insisted. In the end DH went for the snip.

I only asked the surgeon to sterilise me because he would be rummaging about in there anyway grin.

My friend was sterilised during her section and two years later had her DD.

Harimosbroomstick Tue 06-Oct-09 16:54:38

My consultant said it was not a good idea to do it at the same time, as it's not as straight forward as you would think and it is not the best time to 'sort' things (IYSWIM!)

Last time, My consultant told my DH to have the snip instead. He didn't and now we have DD!! grin

COnsultant was still against it when I had DD, so am having a coil fitted instead.

bonnyb1 Tue 06-Oct-09 16:56:16

I wasn't even asked when I had my second planned c section, which I was always a bit miffed about, but after reading Rosscos post I am very glad!
I'm being sterilised in a fortnight tho, husband is a chicken I'm afraid hmm

Northernlurker Tue 06-Oct-09 17:01:15

I think it's a terrible idea sorry. This is because of the swelling/failure risk and the fact that you've only just had the baby. Really not a good idea to take irrevocable steps till you're quite sure (not clouded by discomfort and hormones) that you're done.

redhotredhead Tue 06-Oct-09 17:01:58

I can't believe your doctor suggested this! I thought this was bad practice that when women asked for it they did their damndest to talk you out of it. Apart from the medical reasons other posters have given I would have thought that the day you give birth is not a day to be giving full and informed consent to sterilisation.

somethinganything Tue 06-Oct-09 17:03:56

no knowledge about or experience of this TBH but instinctively agree with Northernlurker.

Good luck with the birth anyway.

mangosTrickyrice Tue 06-Oct-09 17:10:58

Increased failure rate, also would mean you'd be 'out' for longer and would take longer to come round, so maybe not the best thing for baby. Make dh have the snip instead.

Kyte Wed 07-Oct-09 08:31:35

Thanks mamas. I've done some research and we've decided not to take him up on his kind offer hmm

Can you believe that there is a 1/100 failure rate (about the same as the pill) for women having sterlisation during a cs, compared to a 1/2000 failure rate for vasectomies? Plus it's easier for them to test if a vasectomy has worked. Oh and failed sterilisation in women often leads to ectopic pg. Not really a hard choice wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now